OT- Which school in each power 5 conference(non-SU) would you send your son/daughter/relative too? | Syracusefan.com

OT- Which school in each power 5 conference(non-SU) would you send your son/daughter/relative too?

Alsacs

Living Legend
Obviously we would all advice our family to attend SU if they could, but I was thinking which schools each conference would you advice them to attend if they could. Combining academics college sports, and your personal preferences i.e. weather, distance this is how I would advice my relative.

ACC- Win-Virginia. Elite public school education and decent sports while they don't have Duke basketball or Florida State football my relative would be getting a good education and would enjoy 4 years in Charlottesville, and would enjoy sports year round from Football, Basketball, Lacrosse and Baseball
Place- Miami(Fl) Good academics, good football, decent basketball, unbelievable location in Coral Gables which isn't far from South Beach.
Show-North Carolina. I live in NC and UNC is a great state school I just have it below UVA, but you would get elite basketball for 4 years and decent football. The academics are solid and you would live in Chapel Hill for 4 years.

B1G Win- Michigan- Elite public school education like UVA, and you would get elite Football, and decent Basketball for 4 years.
Place- Northwestern- good academics, get to live in Chicago for 4 years. Also, you get decent Football, and get to complain each March when you never make the NCAA Tournament.
Show- Maryland. This one was tough I mean obviously Rutgers was right their, but I couldn't find a 3rd B1G easily. Maryland has good academics, decent basketball, good lacrosse, and you basically be a stone's throw away from Washington D.C. for 4 years.

SEC Win- Florida- The academics are good at UF. You are getting elite Football and elite Basketball for 4 years. I don't know the weather in Gainesville year round, but being close to Jacksonville I guess its not elite, but your living in Florida.
Place- Vanderbilt- Elite academics in the South. Nashville would be a great place to spend 4 years of my college years in. Vandy has decent basketball and mediocre football.
Show- Texas A&M. Good academics and Football is king in Texas. College Station is a good college town as I visited the Bush Grad School when I was looking at law schools.

Pac-12
Win-Southern California- good education, your living 4 years in Southern California and you can't beat that weather. Elite Football and bad Basketball. Song Girls, and you get to live in So Cal.
Place- Stanford- Best academics of any non-Ivy league school playing Division 1 sports. Football is improving rapidly and the basketball is decent for 4 years. Palo Alto is a good city to live in for 4 years.
Show-Washington-Pac-12 has the best depth next to the ACC IMO, and I could have gone Cal, Arizona, UCLA here, but U-Dub is my choice. Good academics, Seattle is a very underrated great city to live in for 4 years, and you would get decent Football and Basketball.

Big XII
Win-Texas. Austin, TX is one of the top 5 cities in America where I would live. It would be a great city to live for 4 years while in college. Dominant Football and one Rick Barnes firing from dominant but you would get decent Basketball. Great academics and is easily my choice
Place/Show No depth here I will just combine Oklahoma and Kansas. Both have good academics and dominate in one sport Oklahoma Football and Kansas Basketball.

What does everyone else have?

I'm coming from Southern PA and would send my son to:

UVA- Great education, good (improving) sports, beautiful campus
Stanford- Top education, solid sports. If he's going west he should go big. Thought about UCLA or UW here as well.
Georgia- Family in the area, solid school, top football and baseball, quick flight.
Michigan- Great education, top football, never been nut I imagine campus is beautiful compared to most B1G cow colleges. Big school with huge research endowment.
Texas (for lack of a clear cut great BEVO option)- Great college town, football will be back by the time he hits campus, good education w/ huge research endowment.

Last edited:
ACC: Virginia or Duke
PAC: Stanford
Big 10: Duh ;)
SEC: Vandy
Big 12: WV, there is something to be said about a close family and teeth are overrated.

ACC

1st: Virginia
2nd: Wake Forest
3rd: Duke

B1G

1st: Northwestern
2nd: Michigan
3rd: Wisconsin

PAC12

1st: Stanford
2nd: California
3rd: UCLA

SEC

1st: Vanderbilt
2nd: Florida
3rd: Georgia

B12

1st: Texas...maybe?
2nd: Uh, no thanks
3rd: Ditto

Stanford, Northwestern, Duke, UT, Vandy if he does better in high school than I did.

Otherwise it's about fun - so Miami, USC, Michigan, and Ole miss (an outlier choice in the SEC here based on spring break 1997 with the ole miss cheerleaders in Nassau bahamas - I'm betting they are still just as much fun).

SUNY anywhere - Sorry but out of state tuition is ridiculous...And if he gets a scholarship somewhere then I'd just let him pick his own school based on what he thought was important, I'd just have a real heart-to-heart on what he thinks is important and why. I'm one of a few on either side of my family that went to and finished college, i'd just be happy that he went.

Last edited:
Virginia
Michigan
Vanderbilt
Stanford
Texas (Big XII is by far the easiest decision)

Sadly, these days Syracuse wouldn't make my top 5 for the ACC.
I'd probably go:
Virginia
Duke
Wake Forest
GT
UNC

And if we're counting ND, they'd be after Duke.