OT: Which U.S. states have the most pride? | Syracusefan.com

OT: Which U.S. states have the most pride?

Eric15

Living Legend
I know this is off-topic but I thought this was something everyone would find interesting.

Percentage of residents that said their state was the best or one of the best to live in…

Highest:
Alaska 77%
Montana 77%
Utah 70%
Wyoming 69%
Texas 68%

Lowest:
Rhode Island 18% (surprising, I think RI is a wonderful state)
Illinois 19%
Mississippi 26%
Louisiana 27%
Michigan/New Jersey 28%

http://www.wcnc.com/home/editors-picks/256822721.html

I know this is off-topic but I thought this was something everyone would find interesting.

Percentage of residents that said their state was the best or one of the best to live in…

Highest:
Alaska 77%
Montana 77%
Utah 70%
Wyoming 69%
Texas 68%

Lowest:
Rhode Island 18% (surprising, I think RI is a wonderful state)
Illinois 19%
Mississippi 26%
Louisiana 27%
Michigan/New Jersey 28%

http://www.wcnc.com/home/editors-picks/256822721.html
Jersey. lol
Makes sense. I miss NY.

Really would have expected Texas to be far and away #1.

Agree about Rhode Island as well. I didn't live there but worked there for a year (lived in MA because it was cheaper), and it was gorgeous.

Really would have expected Texas to be far and away #1.

Agree about Rhode Island as well. I didn't live there but worked there for a year (lived in MA because it was cheaper), and it was gorgeous.

Spot on Jekelish. I've lived in both states. Allot of pride in them Citizens from the Republic of Texas. My kids were taught to recite the song "Deep in the Heart of Texas" in Preschool (before they learned anything else for God's sake)... Thought TX would be a runaway # 1.

Also lived in RI (Newport/Portsmouth) for a year. Just a great area. The whole state was. And the people were very friendly and nice (exceeded our expectations). Not as friendly as Texans, but a close second.

Only state I've never visited is Alaska. Guess I need to travel there to see for myself...

JAXCUSE said:
Spot on Jekelish. I've lived in both states. Allot of pride in them Citizens from the Republic of Texas. My kids were taught to recite the song "Deep in the Heart of Texas" in Preschool (before they learned anything else for God's sake)... Thought TX would be a runaway # 1. Also lived in RI (Newport/Portsmouth) for a year. Just a great area. The whole state was. And the people were very friendly and nice (exceeded our expectations). Not as friendly as Texans, but a close second. Only state I've never visited is Alaska. Guess I need to travel there to see for myself...

Do it. Alaska is amazing. Let me know, I'll buy at a beer

I've still never visited so, so many states. The Dakotas, Montana, Idaho, Alaska, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Wyoming, Iowa, Oregon, Alabama...man, I'm missing a lot on my USA visit list.

My greatest shame, of course, is that the closest I've come to visiting NYC was a layover at LaGuardia.

Spot on Jekelish. I've lived in both states. Allot of pride in them Citizens from the Republic of Texas. My kids were taught to recite the song "Deep in the Heart of Texas" in Preschool (before they learned anything else for God's sake)... Thought TX would be a runaway # 1.

Also lived in RI (Newport/Portsmouth) for a year. Just a great area. The whole state was. And the people were very friendly and nice (exceeded our expectations). Not as friendly as Texans, but a close second.

Only state I've never visited is Alaska. Guess I need to travel there to see for myself...
I'm missing Alaska, Washington, Oregon and North Dakota. I know N. Dakota is never happening.

Living in Utah, I can see the logic of that ranking. The geography itself is beautiful and varied, you can get a very high standard of living for a low cost of living, you've got good jobs and industry, low crime and generally good people all around. I can see why people would like it.

All that said... I take more pride in growing up in New York than I do living in Utah now.

I've still never visited so, so many states. The Dakotas, Montana, Idaho, Alaska, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Wyoming, Iowa, Oregon, Alabama...man, I'm missing a lot on my USA visit list.

Honestly, just rent a car and drive through the West - it's an incredible experience. In terms of natural beauty, the Western U.S. just blows the East out of the water.

Not turprising in retrospect. Most people live where they do by default, because that's where they were born, or that's where there jobs took them. People move to places like Alaska, Hawaii and Montana for the natural beauty.

Honestly, just rent a car and drive through the West - it's an incredible experience. In terms of natural beauty, the Western U.S. just blows the East out of the water.

I think it's great for visiting - so many different landscapes (or moonscapes if you are in the badlands) you just don't see back here, but I don't think I'd want to live there. I love the beauty of the east - the trees, the green, the lakes, the different seasons (the fall in Vermont is spectacular of course). I also like a little moisture in the air thank you very much. (Washington St and Oregon would be the only places out west I'd live). I'm not a fan of the heat so places like Nevada and Arizona don't appeal to me at all.

And yes, I've visited all 50 states. Many of them multiple times.

Alaska!!! Whaaaaat up!

Alaskans like/love the free money from the oil companies. And all the scenery. And the fishing. And the beer.

Okay, Alaska actually is pretty cool.

Living in Utah, I can see the logic of that ranking. The geography itself is beautiful and varied, you can get a very high standard of living for a low cost of living, you've got good jobs and industry, low crime and generally good people all around. I can see why people would like it.

All that said... I take more pride in growing up in New York than I do living in Utah now.

Just out of curiosity, do you think non-Mormons feel the same way about Utah? I thought it was beautiful when I was there (only visited the parks down in the lower portion of the state), but have always wondered if non-religious folks are welcomed the same way.

I feel the same about Colorado. Although it's been my 2nd home for a long time, I don't ever stop thinking about NY and visiting often. And yes, while the west is beautiful and I get out and enjoy it a lot, the Thousand Islands and finger lakes takes a back seat to nothing out here. I wish there was a lot more green and vegetation here, can't stand dry desert conditions. Oh and WATER!

My greatest shame, of course, is that the closest I've come to visiting NYC was a layover at LaGuardia.

Eh, NYC is overrated. Expensive, crowded, and unfriendly. And for god sakes, if you visit here, do not do the touristy trap stuff.

Just out of curiosity, do you think non-Mormons feel the same way about Utah? I thought it was beautiful when I was there (only visited the parks down in the lower portion of the state), but have always wondered if non-religious folks are welcomed the same way.
We've got a pretty robust tech industry and I happen to work for one of the better companies in the state. I'd say most of the people I work with are not Mormon and are not from Utah. This is obviously a biased sample (people that came looking for jobs and ended up getting a good one with an up and coming start up, etc.) but for the most part they really like it in Utah. The Mormons aren't as weird as they think once they get to know them, there's a lot to do here, and especially if you're coming from California your money goes a long way. For example, a couple of months ago we just bought a 5 bedroom home. Our price per square foot was $100. If you're leaving silicon valley for the silicon slopes that's just nuts.

The West is Best...

Here is the view from my front lawn yesterday:

frontyard.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the view from my front lawn yesterday:

I was just reading about firenados. Be careful out there. I have no idea why anyone would live in a place subject to firenados and sharknados. Scary stuff.

I was just reading about firenados. Be careful out there. I have no idea why anyone would live in a place subject to firenados and sharknados. Scary stuff.

The way the weather has been lately..it's basically become a pick your own poison:
do you want to live near hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, tornadoes, or fires?

The way the weather has been lately..it's basically become a pick your own poison:
do you want to live near hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, tornadoes, or fires?

I'll take Lake Champlain please.