Other fan fest observations | Syracusefan.com

Other fan fest observations

kcsu

Living Legend
As always, great post by Tom and the crew on fan fest. Much better than i can ever hope to provide but here are a few additional observations.

AM looked very good. Quick on his feet more speed and vision. I have liked him since he was all everything in HS in CO. I believe that next year he goes back to TB and takes over the role of Smith. I will also go out on a limb and predict he ends up making an NFL team.

Our project lineman sure look the part. Huge big wing spans and seem to have decent feet. Give these guys a few years in the program and i think they become solid players.

Luke is a force. Kid is a monster who will see the field.

Very worried about WR position. Saw signs of talent but not sure who steps up. Even West is suspect. This is the wildcard position in my opinion. I think we are going to be fine at QB but if the WR dont step up it is going to be tough. No real seperation between players many of which look to be clones of each other. Long term my money is on the funder west and ash. Flemming looks great but there is something just missing about him. AC is possible lets hope some guys step up.

Why not Dixon? Must not be consistant because he can sure as heck kick the heck out of the ball.

Last point. Could anyone have ever been more wrong about a player than me about Mac. Wow he now looks the part, plays the part and has become the leader of the O. Most of what i said was in jest as i like to get a rise out of this board but still i was soooooo wrong about him and truly happy for his success as he has turned into a true leader.

Great to see the program being supported and really happy that Doc pulled the trigger on HCSS. Lets hope the D can carry this team for the first few games . If they do we have a shot at 7 wins and a bowl.

Cant wait for Pstate. Go Orange!!

I expect the WR's to improve greatly through the preseason. Keep in mind that the top 4 cb's they're going against are better than a majority of what they'll face from opposing teams this season.

I always expect defense to be ahead of the offense early on because it's more instinct. I'm happy the offense held their own but if they came out and dominated I would be more worried for our defense vs excited for our offense. Sounds like everything is going to plan thus far and the next few weeks will force guys to seperate themselves which is ideal.

I agree 100% IO. This team is a solid 2 deep secondary wise and this is going to challenge the receivers and only get them better. I'd love to have a Given's or that Toledo kid type of wr to go with West and hopefully Kobena/Clark or someone can step up and be a playmaker with the ball in their hands. If the tight ends can make their plays and keep the drops to a minimum it'll help the new qb and give them a comfort zone to have along with Gulley to get the ball too when things aren't happening soon enough with the receivers.

Beckett Wales might have a very big and productive season as the kid has glue on his hands.I can't remember him dropping a pass on Friday when the ball was delivered where it needed to be.

Beckett Wales might have a very big and productive season as the kid has glue on his hands.I can't remember him dropping a pass on Friday when the ball was delivered where it needed to be.

Is he a junior r44?

I agree 100% IO. This team is a solid 2 deep secondary wise and this is going to challenge the receivers and only get them better. I'd love to have a Given's or that Toledo kid type of wr to go with West and hopefully Kobena/Clark or someone can step up and be a playmaker with the ball in their hands. If the tight ends can make their plays and keep the drops to a minimum it'll help the new qb and give them a comfort zone to have along with Gulley to get the ball too when things aren't happening soon enough with the receivers.
It's probably no coincidence that Allen has very high;y praised Beckett Wales in these 1st few days of camp.

Totally agree re: WRs. I'm not sold on West being able to get separation versus good DBs when he's their focus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

with teams most likely to crowd the box it is going to be imperative to find the seams on those 10-20 yard routes. I like the strength and quicks of Ash in the slot as he provides a great hybrid option for us as a really large WR who will not be jammed and can move. If you read his interview his whole emphasis is on catching the ball. I see him along with West and BW as having solid years

I expect the WR's to improve greatly through the preseason. Keep in mind that the top 4 cb's they're going against are better than a majority of what they'll face from opposing teams this season.

I always expect defense to be ahead of the offense early on because it's more instinct. I'm happy the offense held their own but if they came out and dominated I would be more worried for our defense vs excited for our offense. Sounds like everything is going to plan thus far and the next few weeks will force guys to seperate themselves which is ideal.

I think we need to be very careful with tempering the WRs performance with statements that our DBs are above average. The fact is that SU ranked 91st in pass efficiency D in 2012, and 62nd in total passing yards/game (234 yds/gm). Receivers got open all year in 2012 against those DBs.

http://web1.ncaa.org/football/exec/rankingSummary?year=2012&org=688

I think we need to be very careful with tempering the WRs performance with statements that our DBs are above average. The fact is that SU ranked 91st in pass efficiency D in 2012, and 62nd in total passing yards/game (234 yds/gm). Receivers got open all year in 2012 against those DBs.

http://web1.ncaa.org/football/exec/rankingSummary?year=2012&org=688

CB's vs DB's is the distinction. Our cb's weren't ever liabilities last year and a fair amount of those completed passes were on the safeties or underneath due to lack of pass rush. Quite a few third downs we allowed completions short of the sticks by design as well. I forget the exact number but our d held on about 65% of 3rd downs. I don't recall our defense getting beat over the top much last year either.

Again though, it'll all come down to pass rush and we need the DE's to step up.

CB's vs DB's is the distinction. Our cb's weren't ever liabilities last year and a fair amount of those completed passes were on the safeties or underneath due to lack of pass rush. Quite a few third downs we allowed completions short of the sticks by design as well. I forget the exact number but our d held on about 65% of 3rd downs. I don't recall our defense getting beat over the top much last year either.

Again though, it'll all come down to pass rush and we need the DE's to step up.

I agree that the reasons for the poor pass efficiency D are multiple. My sense is that our CBs are not shut down, cover corners; and they were not often asked to provide press coverage. Perhaps that was by design. Or, maybe that was done to maximize the available talent.

Regardless, if the DBs are shutting down the current group of WRs in practice ( I would include the safeties in this), I think that speaks more to the ability of the WRs than the prowess of the CB/DBs

I'm hoping that Funderburke can step and make an impact soon.

I'm also hoping that a frosh can do the same.

And, it seems to me that since Hunt has apparently not separated himself from Allen at this point - despite having a spring with Coch McDonald and Coach Lester - that Drew - having only been with the coaches for a few days - is going to assert himself and take the starting position in the next week or so.

My hope is that whoever gets the job can use his feet to enhance the position.

And, it seems to me that since Hunt has apparently not separated himself from Allen at this point - despite having a spring with Coch McDonald and Coach Lester - that Drew - having only been with the coaches for a few days - is going to exert himself and take the starting position in the next week or so.
I agree. If Allen has closed the gap as quickly as he has, it seems likely to me that he'll win the job.

Although I'm a little late and Fridays scrimmage has been well covered here are a few more thoughts and another opinion.

QB's: I thought Allen looked extremely confident and athletic. He has a presence about him that tells me he won't get rattled on the big stage. Hunt's body language was different -it may have been the disappointment that suddenly Allen was taking the 1st reps with the first team. Hunt has a lot of talent...both he and Allen will be way better than Nassib at scrambling and taking off for positive yards. Whether they can throw as well remains to be seen.

RB's: We have at least 5 running backs that will be very good this year. Jerome ran through and around tacklers in limited carries. Also, AAM ran extremely hard and should not be overlooked.

WR's: I think we will be fine here...West will be better than last year as the featured receiver and Flemming, Broyld, Funderburke (who made a couple of nice catches) will do well. Those are guys, plus Estime that can make guys miss if they get in the open field. Also, Wales at TE continues to catch everything within reach.

OL: I focused quite a bit on the OL during he scrimmage. Hickey, Trudo and Mackey are very good. Robinson looked good too, but Foy really struggled with the edge rush. IMO Welsh would have had at least 2 sacks against him had he not been held or the place whistled dead to save the QB.

DL: Bromley and Crume were very disruptive up the middle and I thought Welsh though often overlooked is always around the ball. The surprise to me was Isaiah Johnson. He wears number 91 and at first glance I thought Sharpe had found another year of eligibility - his body type is the same. As a true freshman, he very well could get into the rotation.

LB's: There are no issues here...we have a solid two deep with speed and toughness. These guys will create havoc for opposing Quarterbacks.

DB's: Ditto the LB's. Speed and toughness and lots of them. There will be no drop off in the rotation as we have at least 10 guys that can step in and play at a high level.

To summarize: I think our offense will have an edge in one way over last year - by having a mobile QB (either Hunt or Allen) they will be able to extend plays and drives by being able to by time and run for a first down when needed on say a third and six. Allen is a big guy, but he can run. The biggest question to me on defense is can we pressure the QB without blitzing all the time. Then again, if we have to blitz that can work too...it worked for us last year. I think special teams will be much better than last year because of our good team speed. We lost a lot of field position last year due to our poor kick return and punt coverage and punt return teams.

Although I'm a little late and Fridays scrimmage has been well covered here are a few more thoughts and another opinion.

QB's: I thought Allen looked extremely confident and athletic. He has a presence about him that tells me he won't get rattled on the big stage. Hunt's body language was different -it may have been the disappointment that suddenly Allen was taking the 1st reps with the first team. Hunt has a lot of talent...both he and Allen will be way better than Nassib at scrambling and taking off for positive yards. Whether they can throw as well remains to be seen.

RB's: We have at least 5 running backs that will be very good this year. Jerome ran through and around tacklers in limited carries. Also, AAM ran extremely hard and should not be overlooked.

WR's: I think we will be fine here...West will be better than last year as the featured receiver and Flemming, Broyld, Funderburke (who made a couple of nice catches) will do well. Those are guys, plus Estime that can make guys miss if they get in the open field. Also, Wales at TE continues to catch everything within reach.

OL: I focused quite a bit on the OL during he scrimmage. Hickey, Trudo and Mackey are very good. Robinson looked good too, but Foy really struggled with the edge rush. IMO Welsh would have had at least 2 sacks against him had he not been held or the place whistled dead to save the QB.

DL: Bromley and Crume were very disruptive up the middle and I thought Welsh though often overlooked is always around the ball. The surprise to me was Isaiah Johnson. He wears number 91 and at first glance I thought Sharpe had found another year of eligibility - his body type is the same. As a true freshman, he very well could get into the rotation.

LB's: There are no issues here...we have a solid two deep with speed and toughness. These guys will create havoc for opposing Quarterbacks.

DB's: Ditto the LB's. Speed and toughness and lots of them. There will be no drop off in the rotation as we have at least 10 guys that can step in and play at a high level.

To summarize: I think our offense will have an edge in one way over last year - by having a mobile QB (either Hunt or Allen) they will be able to extend plays and drives by being able to by time and run for a first down when needed on say a third and six. Allen is a big guy, but he can run. The biggest question to me on defense is can we pressure the QB without blitzing all the time. Then again, if we have to blitz that can work too...it worked for us last year. I think special teams will be much better than last year because of our good team speed. We lost a lot of field position last year due to our poor kick return and punt coverage and punt return teams.

Gruden seemed to the Nassib went through progessions well.

I wouldn't be surprised if Funderburke and Cornelius end up as 2 very important receivers for us. AC seems to always be making plays, and Funderburke looks smooth. I'm going to go back to what was said about Funderburke in practice last season. I really think he was just in the dog house during the Spring and now has to earn back the trust of the staff, and eventually a spot in the rotation.

Gruden seemed to the Nassib went through progessions well.
I agree with Gruden - I was more referring to Hunt and Allen's ability to scramble behind the line to buy time and also to run for positive yards when necessary. Nassib was a very good quarterback last year, but to me he never looked comfortable running with the football.

I kept hearing that Sales wasn't much of a practice player. Maybe Funderburk is the same way and he performs better on game day.

I kept hearing that Sales wasn't much of a practice player. Maybe Funderburk is the same way and he performs better on game day.
Funderburk reminds me of Sales both players have skinny legs but are really smooth

Bad news about Foy--going just based upon your observation. My fear all along is that he might not have the lateral mobility to slide his feed adequately to stave off pass rush. We saw what happened at the beginning of last year when we had subpar play at RT [Alexander]. I think Hickey is going to be a stud, and Knapp is going to be a very good player for us down the road. But I'm really concerned about RT this year.

Bad news about Foy--going just based upon your observation. My fear all along is that he might not have the lateral mobility to slide his feed adequately to stave off pass rush. We saw what happened at the beginning of last year when we had subpar play at RT [Alexander]. I think Hickey is going to be a stud, and Knapp is going to be a very good player for us down the road. But I'm really concerned about RT this year.

I am hopeful the staff does not shy away from giving Knapp a shot at RT if Foy struggles early (especially against PSU). While I'm not expecting us to score 30 points in the first game, we cannot afford our OL to allow their D to create points via turnover. That could be the difference in the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom