OTish: Hop candidate at UNLV? | Syracusefan.com

OTish: Hop candidate at UNLV?

There is no chance in H-E- double hockey sticks Hopkins is taking another job with the date of JB's retirement known.

I do know though that Kaiser would rickshaw him from Syracuse to Las Vegas if he took the job though.
Exactly. Thamel just threw his name in there to once again stir the pot.

And Kaiser would probably pull that rickshaw with his teeth.

Does the fact that both Syverud and Coyle signed off on Hopkins as JB's successor mean anything?

http://cuse.com/news/2015/6/25/Hopkins62515.aspx?path=mbasket

Well, yes - and no.

IF for some bizarre reason Hop felt UNLV was an appealling opportunity, then his HCIW status here would be an excellent bargaining chip to use in negotiations with them, or another program.

The bottom line is - UNLV may indeed consider Hop. Why not? He's one of the top assistant HC's in the country.
But it's highly unlikely he would consider them back.

He should go. And let GMac be the new coach in waiting.

Fly hop !! Fly !!! Fly !!

If coach B wants to stay ten more years and is still capable , he shouldn't feel as if he should retire just so hop can get this gig

You mean, other than it was part of our settlement with the NCAA?

Well, yes - and no.

IF for some bizarre reason Hop felt UNLV was an appealling opportunity, then his HCIW status here would be an excellent bargaining chip to use in negotiations with them, or another program.

UNLV is my dream job, but only for a year or two until Syracuse calls me back. ;)

Looks like the ideal spot for Rick when he leaves the 'Ville.

He should go. And let GMac be the new coach in waiting.

This isn't the first time I've seen this expressed. Curious why I've seen people say let Hopkins go and let GMac(not Autry) be the next coach? Autry has more coaching experience and seemingly more recruiting connections than GMac does, correct?

Why exactly would we want GMac as our next coach? Because he was a great player? We have absolutely no idea if he'd be a good coach or not. Hopkins has way more experience and a reputation as one of the better recruiters in the country, but we don't want him? We want the least experienced of our assistants?

I don't get the line of thinking.

Or even better, we can go out and get a proven head coach who has succeeded at a high level.

I have to admit I've always preferred this. I admire and respect the loyalty that Hop has shown and all that he's done for the program, but hiring an established head coach would be my choice for a program of our stature.

The end of the 2017-2018 season.
Do you have a link to a definitive statement from Boeheim to support that?

Boeheim was very non-committal in the most recent interview I've seen on that topic.

Do you have a link to a definitive statement from Boeheim to support that?

Boeheim was very non-committal in the most recent interview I've seen on that topic.
JB is 70 years old I can't see him staying longer than 2 more years. I could see him retiring after next year more likely than him staying longer than 2 more years. We need Mike Hopkins to be announced or else the recruiting could be hurt short term.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...syracuse-orange-daryl-gross-athletic-director