Otto-man Empire expands | Syracusefan.com

Otto-man Empire expands

Consigliere

Co 2020 Cali Award Winner, Record Thru 5 Games
I was in Maui a couple of weeks back vacationing with friends. Took the obligatory drive up Haleakalā - the dormant volcano on Maui and made a couple of stops for liquid refreshments while the wives did some shopping. We went into a quaint Mexican restaurant in Makawao for a margarita (or two) and struck up a conversation with the bartender. She heard I was from upstate New York - I said near Syracuse and replied she was from Ovid - near Ithaca. When I narrowed it down to Johnson City she told me she actually gre up in Port Crane and tended bar at Number 5 and Tom and Marty's before moving to paradise.

http://pollismexicanrestaurant.com/

Anyway turns out she had good friends who attended Syracuse and after I swapped a promise of two bottles of spiedie sauce for another round of drinks we hatched a plan to make Polli's THE place on Maui for Cuse fans. So next time you're on the island (MAUI Classic 2018 anyone?) stop by and say hello to Theresa and the little bit of Orange I sent to Hawaii with the Lupo's.

upload_2017-5-31_16-23-39.png

I was in Maui a couple of weeks back vacationing with friends. Took the obligatory drive up Haleakalā - the dormant volcano on Maui and made a couple of stops for liquid refreshments while the wives did some shopping. We went into a quaint Mexican restaurant in Makawao for a margarita (or two) and struck up a conversation with the bartender. She heard I was from upstate New York - I said near Syracuse and replied she was from Ovid - near Ithaca. When I narrowed it down to Johnson City she told me she actually gre up in Port Crane and tended bar at Number 5 and Tom and Marty's before moving to paradise.

Anyway turns out she had good friends who attended Syracuse and after I swapped a promise of two bottles of spiedie sauce for another round of drinks we hatched a plan to make Polli's THE place on Maui for Cuse fans. So next time you're on the island (MAUI Classic 2018 anyone?) stop by and say hello to Theresa and the little bit of Orange I sent to Hawaii with the Lupo's.

View attachment 98836
Great. Now Maui's a home game. :bang:

View attachment 98836
I

View attachment 98836
I ate there a couple of months ago. It is on the left side of the intersection looking uphill. I stayed a couple of miles up Olinda Rd. and I do mean up. Baldwin turns into Olinda at Makawao. The Island is getting crowded. Good to see the Cuse flag. It is a popular place. Just the two of us had these digs for almost two weeks.
aloha cottage.PNG

Honestly, it already was. We're 9 and 0 on the island all time I believe. Basically the Carrier Dome of the central pacific.

Hell now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure Syracuse is undefeated on islands and ships at sea.
Manhattan is an island. Just saying.

We had a rental car from a local (laid back) rental agency that we called the Dodgy Brothers. They left the car for us at the Airport parking lot (not the rental car lot) and we never signed any papers or saw them, just gave them a credit card number over the cell phone, and left the car back at Airport general parking. They were recommended by a friend living in Juneau that used to live in Makawao. At the top of Haleakala at sunset the temperature dropped, and maybe by coincidence, the dash lights blew out on the old Toyota Corolla that looked like it came from the New Orleans flood. Drove down the entire mountain in the tropical darkness without being able to see the speedometer. Their rates were dirt cheap, but they were not what you would call professional.

Last edited:
We had a rental car from a local (laid back) rental agency that we called the Dodgy Brothers. They left the car for us at the Airport parking lot (not the rental car lot) and we never signed any papers or saw them, just gave them a credit card number over the cell phone, and left the car back at Airport general parking. They were recommended by a friend living in Juneau that used to live in Makawao. At the top of Haleakala at sunset the temperature dropped, and maybe by coincidence, the dash lights blew out on the old Toyota Corolla that looked like it came from the New Orleans flood. Drove down the entire mountain in the tropical darkness without being able to see the speedometer. Their rates were dirt cheap, but they were not what you would call professional.

Our hosts recommended going up for sunrise but cautioned that it is very crowded. We opted to take our time and enjoy the ride up, not set the alarm for 3:30 a.m., and watch the sunset. Videoed it on our phones then had dinner on the way down at Casanove, headed back to the condo and watched the video in reverse. Instant sunrise!

Our hosts recommended going up for sunrise but cautioned that it is very crowded. We opted to take our time and enjoy the ride up, not set the alarm for 3:30 a.m., and watch the sunset. Videoed it on our phones then had dinner on the way down at Casanove, headed back to the condo and watched the video in reverse. Instant sunrise!
Next time I'll sign up with the woman that sets up a pretty powerful telescope each night. She operates out of Makawao.
Maui Astronomy Tours (Makawao, HI): Top Tips Before You Go - TripAdvisor

Great. Now Maui's a home game. :bang:

the year we lost to camby and u mass in the finals of a tournament out there..was it not maui? maybe big island?

the year we lost to camby and u mass in the finals of a tournament out there..was it not maui? maybe big island?
Rainbow Classic. December 1995.

We bounced back from that loss fairly well. ;)

Correct -- and early in the 1997-98 season we lost pretty badly to Michigan in the final game of a Puerto Rico tournament.

A few years back (more than a few, I guess) while living with my aunt on Oahu I visited Maui for a few days and biked down Haleakala. It was an amazing experience that only required about 30 seconds of pedaling during the 30 mile ride. Definitely something I would recommend doing.

It was somewhat crowded up top for the sunrise, but mostly because of the bike tours. Since I was a part of one of the tours it didn't bother me too much. Really cool experience!

Cruiser Phils | Home (in case anyone is interested in finding out more)

I

I ate there a couple of months ago. It is on the left side of the intersection looking uphill. I stayed a couple of miles up Olinda Rd. and I do mean up. Baldwin turns into Olinda at Makawao. The Island is getting crowded. Good to see the Cuse flag. It is a popular place. Just the two of us had these digs for almost two weeks.
View attachment 99178
It's a small world. I always stay up Olinda at the round Aloha House with the bed in the center under a round glass skylight. Complete privacy.
Olinda is one hell of a road.

Last edited:
I'll never forget listening to that game laying in the back seat of a car, sick as a dog, driving to Newark to catch a plane back to AK.

Last edited:
A few years back (more than a few, I guess) while living with my aunt on Oahu I visited Maui for a few days and biked down Haleakala. It was an amazing experience that only required about 30 seconds of pedaling during the 30 mile ride. Definitely something I would recommend doing.

It was somewhat crowded up top for the sunrise, but mostly because of the bike tours. Since I was a part of one of the tours it didn't bother me too much. Really cool experience!

Cruiser Phils | Home (in case anyone is interested in finding out more)
I once went to a fly by night local car rental company to save money. No paperwork, just picked up the beater car in the regular airport parking lot. Coming down from Haleakala at night all the interior lights failed including the speedometer. I had no idea how fast I was driving in the dark down the mtn.

I once went to a fly by night local car rental company to save money. No paperwork, just picked up the beater car in the regular airport parking lot. Coming down from Haleakala at night all the interior lights failed including the speedometer. I had no idea how fast I was driving in the dark down the mtn.
We know.

You posted the exact same post just 11 posts, and almost 6 years, ago.

You think we forget?

That's a good idea.

I may do the same for future cause games. I will tape it then watch them in reverse, and the result will always result in a 0-0 standstill! No more heartaches!!!