our boy getting some respect | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

our boy getting some respect

Very odd post.

No need to bring arguments from other threads into this discussion.
It's been a running theme on the board with a few posters in multiple threads nearly all season. It gets annoying that everytime somebody presents an opinion that is the least bit critical of one of this year's annointed players they're jumped all over.

It's been a running theme on the board with a few posters in multiple threads nearly all season. It gets annoying that everytime somebody presents an opinion that is the least bit critical of one of this year's annointed players they're jumped all over.

And it's also annoying when straw man backlash gets heaped upon discussions that aren't part of what you're railing against.

Etta-Tawo is a physical specimen. He's a big, physical receiver who is showing terrific hands this year. He's bouncing off tackles. He's beating people deep. He's making plays in traffic and then showing elusiveness in the open field, while defenders fall down or ineffectually try to pull him down. When he gets hit at the sideline, people bounce off and he doesn't go down. His track speed / 40 time are already known. And he's produced eye popping numbers that will make the NFL take notice.

I never said that he was the "best" [arbitrary distinction] WR in the country, just that he has significantly improved his draft stock. And given his physical stature, speed, and production--I believe that he will rise up the draft charts once the NFL teams get series about evaluating players after the season ends.

If that is orange colored glasses, then I'm happy to own that. But I don't think it is in this kid's case. Have you seen some of the wideouts who've gone in the top 2 rounds of the NFL draft in the past 10 years? It isn't far fetched--at all--to suggest that AET could go that high.

He is going to have to test well to go in the top 3 rounds, IMO.

His rep coming over from Maryland was of being a burner with suspect hands. It's funny because I don't think he's a burner by any means and he has great hands from what I have seen.

Solid possession receiver, runs great routes and catches with his hands. He reminds me a bit of

My concern with him is that I'm not sure he is explosive enough speed or jumping wise to warrant a 2nd rounder. That being said, if he tests well he could sneak up there.

He reminds me a bit of Hakeem Nicks. I think Hakeem ran a 4.6 and had an average vertical jump. Guy was damn productive before injuries.

It's fine if you want to stick your head in the orange sand. Just don't jump on the people that attempt to be objective. I can cheer for AET, Ismael, Dungey, Philips, Estime, Franklin, Clark, Slayton etc. etc. and simultaneously acknowledge there are better players. Some of my favorite guys never played a down in the NFL.

I don't have some inferiority complex that compels me to defend every little criticism of my guys... because sometimes those criticisms are accurate.

Yep. And if you actually read what I write, you'd see similar objectivity. But I won't hide from having an optimistic opinion at times either.

Sometimes, that is needed around here.

Chess, not checkers man.

His rep coming over from Maryland was of being a burner with suspect hands. It's funny because I don't think he's a burner by any means and he has great hands from what I have seen.

Solid possession receiver, runs great routes and catches with his hands. He reminds me a bit of

My concern with him is that I'm not sure he is explosive enough speed or jumping wise to warrant a 2nd rounder. That being said, if he tests well he could sneak up there.

He reminds me a bit of Hakeem Nicks. I think Hakeem ran a 4.6 and had an average vertical jump. Guy was damn productive before injuries.

Good post.

He's one of those guys with a long stride that masks his speed. Our CB's have said as much. "Sneaky speed"

Nicks was also damn productive in college for the 2 years before he left early after his monster JR year.

which is the bio of most 1st rounders.

we both said it, what happens between the SuperBowl and draft day will determine his spot.

I just don't see NFL teams taking a 1st round pick (or a 2nd) on a 23 year old kid who did nothing for 3(4) years until he found himself in a spread offense.

excuse me as I go to a corner and cry as I realize that Nicks is only 28, should be in his 8th year...and should be absolutely killing it right now.

Last edited:
Incredible.

How much money to Amba Etta-Tawo make himself by deciding to come to SU? He might not have even been drafted, now he is considered one of the top players in the country, and sure first or second round pick who looks like a man amongst boys playing on Saturdays. Unbelievable swing for a guy who was a bit player at Maryland.

I thought the same thing watching the 2 of them in the post game presser after bc. These guys have a bond and chemistry on and off the field and they both realize they are both contributing to each others futures;) $$$

Mayock at the 2017 Combine:

"Some scouts question whether he can run the entire route tree. Can he get vertical and beat double coverage? Might be a one-year wonder...Oh , kid just ran a 4.4. Second round."
Mayock knows the 40 times of every player since 1997

If you would've told me before the season that ESPN would rank the Top 50 players in CFB and we'd have a representative on there, I would've laughed at you.

If you told me they'd also rank him higher than Leonard Fournette, I would've punched you square in the mouth.

its hard to get a read on him.. he tends to turn Dbs inside out which is good.. he doesnt seem super fast but he also has a long stride so thats deceiving. he runs good routes but we dont have him really running a ton of different routes so who knows what he can do. teams are scored of him so they double him so something on the film must look good.

First overall pick.

Bet my left arm on it.

He's a burner by B10 standards

He doesn't look super fast, but has he been caught from behind all that many times this year? And he's getting behind the defense on a routine basis. Slow guys don't do that.

lotta truths there.

incredible for sure.

he definitely made himself some $$.

doubt he would've been drafted.

is now considered a top player in the country.

however, here is where I think the truth falters a little bit. not sure about him being a 1 or 2. the combine and Syracuse Day will go a long way towards that. talent, is talent. you either have it, or you don't. where was it the last 3 years?? im serious, where was it?? I have no idea, if he was hurt or whatnot please advise. I don't think he jumps all the way to the 1st, nor do I see 2nd, but who knows. 3rd or the 4th for sure.

looks like a man among boys on Saturdays for sure.

quite unbelievable is right.
Well, the last 3 years, his head coach was Randy Edsall. Not sure who was the WR coach.

He had a bad hands rep. but how long has he been playing football?

The is strong has great hands and yes he can fly. He is the real deal.
He was miss used by the Maryland staff just like gibby at duke and possibly Fredricks here. It happens.
I think he goes in round 3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom