Our brand of football is boring | Syracusefan.com

Our brand of football is boring

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
Dino and then Beck were supposed to be offensive geniuses particularly in the passing game.

It‘s year 8 and the passing game still struggles with consistency.

Georgia Tech ran the option for years and averages nearly 300ypg passing.

We play in a dome with receivers who can’t catch and an oline that can’t pass block.

We still punt in stupid situations.

We have reached a ceiling with Dino. We are always going to have stupid penalties, bad clock management and a poor pass blocking oline.

Find someone who can build a team who knows how to build a passing offense. We play in a dome ffs. Everyone can throw besides us it seems these days.

You need WRs. We had a great group of WRs in 2017. It has gone down hill since then.

The fact that Coach P couldn't get WRs (left a joke behind), GRob lucked into one good WR, Marrone struggled to get quality WRs, Shafer was so so, and Babers cannot get anybody should tell you all you need to know.

We should probably go the running QB and ground based O route. Which happens to also be easier to block for. It doesn't have to be boring running, look at what Rich Rod was able to do. Or Malzahn's O. I don't think these guys are fits here but we can look for the next one of Chadwell, Leipold, Klieman, J. Smith, Satterfield.

We need a quick read offense with a consistently accurate QB. We will never have an OL that will old up in deep drops. Small, quick guys that can get YAC.

It’s funny because Marrone had some legitimately boring offenses and I still maintained interest because it seemed we always had a shot at winning
I actually thought those Nassib teams put up huge numbers….especially 2012

You need WRs. We had a great group of WRs in 2017. It has gone down hill since then.

The fact that Coach P couldn't get WRs (left a joke behind), GRob lucked into one good WR, Marrone struggled to get quality WRs, Shafer was so so, and Babers cannot get anybody should tell you all you need to know.

We should probably go the running QB and ground based O route. Which happens to also be easier to block for. It doesn't have to be boring running, look at what Rich Rod was able to do. Or Malzahn's O. I don't think these guys are fits here but we can look for the next one of Chadwell, Leipold, Klieman, J. Smith, Satterfield.
Erv, Etta-Tawo, Ish, Custis, brisley….first few years were stacked

Barf. Talk about boring. No one plays this way. You need to score and running doesn’t lead to scoring.

We need a quick read offense with a consistently accurate QB. We will never have an OL that will old up in deep drops. Small, quick guys that can get YAC.
I don't understand our present offensive scheme. Beck was supposed to be this offensive genius, I am not seeing it. Play calling is unimaginative. I don't see us using the entire field: short slants, mid crossing patterns, deep middle, deep sideline, bubble screens, tight end chunk plays, pre snap motion, wheel routes to the RB...We don't have the O line for deep drops, at least not every pass play, what about quick hitting pass plays used on the West Coast type offense?

I said Saturday in my anguish that I was off the Dino train…….. reading some of the comments on this board for 2 days and I’m officially back on. In part because some of them are ridiculous and in part because I don’t feel like waiting another 4 years for another coach that probably will do no better and then you will be calling for his head around 26-27. Then we can start another rebuilding project which means around 29-30 before the pitchforks come out. Hopefully Dino can give us a few more 7-5 seasons and then see what happens. That’s the best I can hope for.

Barf. Talk about boring. No one plays this way. You need to score and running doesn’t lead to scoring.

Getting sacked 8 times a game and going 3 and out all the time isn't boring? You need to cater to the talent you can get.

Running does not equal boring. Which of those HCs have a boring team? That is a list so "no one plays that way" is false.

I said Saturday in my anguish that I was off the Dino train…….. reading some of the comments on this board for 2 days and I’m officially back on. In part because some of them are ridiculous and in part because I don’t feel like waiting another 4 years for another coach that probably will do no better and then you will be calling for his head around 26-27. Then we can start another rebuilding project which means around 29-30 before the pitchforks come out. Hopefully Dino can give us a few more 7-5 seasons and then see what happens. That’s the best I can hope for.
I'm totally fine with 7-5 most years. Goal = bowl.

What I am not fine with is punting on 4th and 6 at midfield down 23.

Getting sacked 8 times a game and going 3 and out all the time isn't boring? You need to cater to the talent you can get.

Running does not equal boring. Which of those HCs have a boring team? That is a list so "no one plays that way" is false.
Let's play like BC! So exciting. Ran for over 300 barely this weekend and barely won.

Meanwhile Army threw and completed more passes than them.

A big reason why I'm done with him. That and the penalties. If you aren't on the same level talent wise you need to do the little things right. Penalties and game management. Babers doesn't.
No truer words. And this is what bothers me most going forward. He doesn't realize that he isn't good at all at game management. He thinks he is good at it. And the penalties. And the type of penalties, well, you just can't win with those kind. You get beat and have to grab someone, okay, it happens. But the other stuff, just drives you crazy.

Last edited:
Always starts with the offensive line. 3 guys who were expected to be in the top 6 have been out. Can’t run anything with the line struggling so badly.

Would be nice if Shrader wasnt trying to play like a pocket passer. Dude has made a living throwing on the run for 4 games a year then he sits like a one-legged duck. If he's hurt, so be it but he cannot put out the post-first drive clemson and all UNC game effort and be on the field.