Our Consolation | Syracusefan.com

Our Consolation

orange2win

2nd String
So there I was cheering my silly head off, watching SU squeak out a win over a weak bunch of prairie farm boys and enjoying every minute of it. When the consolation game ended, about 70% of the SU fans left. If they had all left, the Garden would have been the world's most famous desert for the final.

In Thursday's game, if SU's decreed SG had just equaled the opposition from 3PT range and if we had shot our FT's to match a decent HS squad, we would have won. Texas confirmed that Cal is likely NIT bound - again.

All of those posters here who have been calling for a change in SG minutes as a possible quick fix, forget about it. JB has decreed and when JB decrees, even JB cannot change it. It becomes law. After scouring the 50 states and 13 Provinces of Canada, we selected Trevor as our best SG choice and that's it. He has - and will - play more minutes than anyone this year. More even than the projected second coming of Carmelo.

Same thing with our last decreed SG. Don't you remember? An NBA guard, from a championship contending team, that includes the best BB player in the world, was not good enough to affect the minutes of our last JB decreed SG. That's how it works.

Best to just sit back and enjoy. It's more fun that way.

An NBA guard, from a championship contending team, that includes the best BB player in the world, was not good enough to affect the minutes of our last JB decreed SG. That's how it works.
Except that he wasn't that at all when he wore a Syracuse uniform. In fact, he was a liability his freshman year and many here were hoping he'd leave. Even as a soph, when he was actually good, he had his share of stinkers. The Ohio State game being the biggest and stinkiest. I love how people bitch about playing time in a season that we're a 1 seed, 30 win, top five all year team. Yeah. Boeheim is clueless.

While I agree about Cal, pinning it on TC is short sighted. Everybody on the floor wearing Orange owns that one.

I think people get way too caught up in the whole "starting" thing. It's all about minutes played CJ, Dion, and Kris all at one point were not starters but played more minutes than starters and that's what really matters.

Maybe JB decreed it because he knows what he is doing? How come every player isn't decreed? There's been plenty of players higher rated than Cooney and Triche, and with more expectations, come in that barely left the bench.

Except that he wasn't that at all when he wore a Syracuse uniform. In fact, he was a liability his freshman year and many here were hoping he'd leave. Even as a soph, when he was actually good, he had his share of stinkers. The Ohio State game being the biggest and stinkiest. I love how people bitch about playing time in a season that we're a 1 seed, 30 win, top five all year team. Yeah. Boeheim is clueless.

While I agree about Cal, pinning it on TC is short sighted. Everybody on the floor wearing Orange owns that one.

Just a couple of comments on what you wrote. When a kid is a five star recruit and forced to sit behind a player he thinks is less skilled, an outbreak of attitude is hardly surprising. That is what riled the fans at the time and got JB's heckles up. Also, all freshmen have bad games.

I am not suggesting JB is clueless. He uses a rigid substitution system and rarely varies from it. Some of us here think this hurts. JB thinks otherwise and he is the coach.

I disagree with rrlbees comment. Name any 5 Star recruit that rarely left the bench at SU? Sure, lesser talents have to wait their turn, but that is the point of discussion.

Just a couple of comments on what you wrote. When a kid is a five star recruit and forced to sit behind a player he thinks is less skilled, an outbreak of attitude is hardly surprising. That is what riled the fans at the time and got JB's heckles up. Also, all freshmen have bad games.

I am not suggesting JB is clueless. He uses a rigid substitution system and rarely varies from it. Some of us here think this hurts. JB thinks otherwise and he is the coach.

I disagree with rrlbees comment. Name any 5 Star recruit that rarely left the bench at SU? Sure, lesser talents have to wait their turn, but that is the point of discussion.

When Dion left he said that he came to SU as a boy and left as a man and he thanked JB for the transformation.

So there I was cheering my silly head off, watching SU squeak out a win over a weak bunch of prairie farm boys and enjoying every minute of it. When the consolation game ended, about 70% of the SU fans left. If they had all left, the Garden would have been the world's most famous desert for the final.

In Thursday's game, if SU's decreed SG had just equaled the opposition from 3PT range and if we had shot our FT's to match a decent HS squad, we would have won. Texas confirmed that Cal is likely NIT bound - again.

All of those posters here who have been calling for a change in SG minutes as a possible quick fix, forget about it. JB has decreed and when JB decrees, even JB cannot change it. It becomes law. After scouring the 50 states and 13 Provinces of Canada, we selected Trevor as our best SG choice and that's it. He has - and will - play more minutes than anyone this year. More even than the projected second coming of Carmelo.

Same thing with our last decreed SG. Don't you remember? An NBA guard, from a championship contending team, that includes the best BB player in the world, was not good enough to affect the minutes of our last JB decreed SG. That's how it works.

Best to just sit back and enjoy. It's more fun that way.
He's the best SG on the team, BY FAR. That's why he plays.

orange2win said:
Just a couple of comments on what you wrote. When a kid is a five star recruit and forced to sit behind a player he thinks is less skilled, an outbreak of attitude is hardly surprising. That is what riled the fans at the time and got JB's heckles up. Also, all freshmen have bad games. I am not suggesting JB is clueless. He uses a rigid substitution system and rarely varies from it. Some of us here think this hurts. JB thinks otherwise and he is the coach. I disagree with rrlbees comment. Name any 5 Star recruit that rarely left the bench at SU? Sure, lesser talents have to wait their turn, but that is the point of discussion.

Where did I mention 5 star?

And Dion didn't deserve to start. He's lucky he got a 2nd year.

JB has more basketball knowledge in his pinky finger than the rest of us combined. I think there is more to the game than you are seeing.

Did the OP just bitch about PT in a year we went 30-1? Was Dion going to guard Jack Cooley?

Well you don't have look too far: DC2.

He's the best SG on the team, BY FAR. That's why he plays.

I get that he plays. I get that he has to play. What I dont get is why he is the focal point of the offense when he is offensively inept.

I get that he plays. I get that he has to play. What I dont get is why he is the focal point of the offense when he is offensively inept.
He is not the focal point. He may be the second or third behind Christmas and Mc particularly when he is not hitting. And who do we have that is less inept after that?

Thank you. I came in to make that exact same point after reading the original post. Good grief, hate and blame for the sake of hate and blame is ridiculous these days. Last I checked, people not named Trevor Cooney were only 2-of-11 from three in the Cal game. But sure, let's blame it all on him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom