Our roster and recruits & Dino's System | Syracusefan.com

Our roster and recruits & Dino's System

Crusty

Living Legend
How do our players and recruits fit with Dino Babers offensive system? Seems to me he will be pleased with a lot of the players and recruits.
First, here are a few things to note about the Babers system.
  • Bowling Green’s Depth Chart lists 12 positions because they list 4 wide receivers. That really means 3 WRs. Our Depth Chart is similar except we have one H-Back instead of a 3rd WR on the 2 deep.
  • Pro style QBs who are asked to run sparingly.
  • BG passes about 44 times per game (3rd in games between FBS teams)
  • BG completes 68.5% (4th best) of its passes – amazing considering the number of attempts.
  • Wide receivers catch 83% of the completed passes followed by Running Backs with 9% and Tight Ends with 7%.
  • Do not use H-Backs. However, his RB’s have speed and can catch the ball coming out of the backfield. I would say same skill set just different usage.
Quarterback - Pro Style
As you can imagine, Babers system is heavily dependent on a QB that is smart, quick thinking and has a strong accurate arm. Current star QB Matt Johnson is a RS Sr. pro-style QB. In 12 games, Johnson has run 99 times (sacks are counted as rushing attempts by the NCAA) for a total of 149 yards for an average of 1.5 yards per carry and 4 TDs.

While Babers did not recruit Johnson, all the Babers recruits including Cody Callaway (2014), James Morgan (2015) and Elijah Cunningham (2016) are pro style.

Zach Mahoney - I would guess that Mahoney never see the field again as he can’t compete with everyone else in passing ability. He was never awarded a scholarship so he may be the odd man out.

Eric Dungey - While Dungey is a dual threat QB, he is also a very accurate passer, especially on long passes, and he may be molded to Babers system.

Austin Wilson – Pro style who fits the mold with the big arm. Does Dino see anything in him? Time will tell.

Rex Culpepper – is not a natural fit by arbitrary classification, but with his skill set probably fits just about any system. Red shirt candidate?

Lindy Scott, Jr. – Same as Caldwell above. Elite athlete than could convert to WR except for his height. Red shirt candidate?​

Running Back (Including HB)
BG has 6 running backs listed on their roster while we have 8 including both RB and HB.

Babers has two running backs that alternate – somewhat similar to Jerome Smith and PTG in styles. His current #1 RB is a former wide receiver who now holds the BG all-time career rushing record. (Travis Green 5’10” 190 lbs. 4.46 Forty). The power guy is Fred Coppet is 5’9” 205.

Jordan Fredericks – reminds me of Fred Coppet and is almost the same size. I suspect Dino will like what he sees in Jordan.

Dontae Strickland – I like his skills and think he is much closer to the Travis Green style. He could be the second back in rotation with Jordan.

George Morris III – Hard to tell – needs to beat out Strickland.

Devante McFarlane – RunDMC may be the odd man out in the RB department.

Ervin Phillips – Is it possible he converts to Wide Receiver? He caught more passes than anyone except for Steve Ishmael.

Moe Neal - I think he might red shirt.​

Wide Receiver
Bowling Green has 17 Wide Receivers listed on their roster – all sizes and shapes. We have 10. I would imagine that any player that can spell “pass” will be looked at for possible conversion to WR.

Brisly Estime – I look for Bris to shine in this offense. He will get a lot of deep balls thrown his way.

Steve Ishmael – probably the biggest benefactor of the new offense will be Steve.

Ben Lewis – will almost certainly wind up back at wide receiver where he will get a lot of attention. Good hands, good route runner and very good blocker, he will be busy.

After these plus Ervin Phillips, no other WR is really notable based on results last year.

Jamal Custis – I think we will finally find out what Custis can do. Underutilized in Lester’s system he will have his chance next year.​

Kenterius Womack – I have to think that with his speed and hands, he will become a deep threat in the new offense.​

Tight Ends

BG has 4 tight ends listed on their roster – we have 7 and only one graduates. Looks like this is one position where players will be encouraged to leave.

Any of you offensive line mavens please chime in.

Last edited:
Rex Caldwell? Did we get a new recruit?

;)

He must have meant T-Rex Caldwell! Very interesting Crusty. I'd like to see how Custis does or as you would say...Curtis. ;) Also, could be possible that they slide a TE or 2 to Tackle or end.

How do our players and recruits fit with Dino Babers offensive system? Seems to me he will be pleased with a lot of the players and recruits.
First, here are a few things to note about the Babers system.
  • Bowling Green’s Depth Chart lists 12 positions because they list 4 wide receivers. That really means 3 WRs. Our Depth Chart is similar except we have one H-Back instead of a 3rd WR on the 2 deep.
  • Pro style QBs who are asked to run sparingly.
  • BG passes about 44 times per game (3rd in games between FBS teams)
  • BG completes 68.5% (4th best) of its passes – amazing considering the number of attempts.
  • Wide receivers catch 83% of the completed passes followed by Running Backs with 9% and Tight Ends with 7%.
  • Do not use H-Backs. However, his RB’s have speed and can catch the ball coming out of the backfield. I would say same skill set just different usage.
Quarterback - Pro Style
As you can imagine, Babers system is heavily dependent on a QB that is smart, quick thinking and has a strong accurate arm. Current star QB Matt Johnson is a RS Sr. pro-style QB. In 12 games, Johnson has run 99 times (sacks are counted as rushing attempts by the NCAA) for a total of 149 yards for an average of 1.5 yards per carry and 4 TDs.

While Babers did not recruit Johnson, all the Babers recruits including Cody Callaway (2014), James Morgan (2015) and Elijah Cunningham (2016) are pro style.

Zach Mahoney - I would guess that Mahoney never see the field again as he can’t compete with everyone else in passing ability. He was never awarded a scholarship so he may be the odd man out.

Eric Dungey - While Dungey is a dual threat QB, he is also a very accurate passer, especially on long passes, and he may be molded to Babers system.

Austin Wilson – Pro style who fits the mold with the big arm. Does Dino see anything in him? Time will tell.

Rex Caldwell – is not a natural fit by arbitrary classification, but with his skill set probably fits just about any system. Red shirt candidate?

Lindy Scott, Jr. – Same as Caldwell above. Elite athlete than could convert to WR except for his height. Red shirt candidate?​

Running Back (Including HB)
BG has 6 running backs listed on their roster while we have 8 including both RB and HB.

Babers has two running backs that alternate – somewhat similar to Jerome Smith and PTG in styles. His current #1 RB is a former wide receiver who now holds the BG all-time career rushing record. (Travis Green 5’10” 190 lbs. 4.46 Forty). The power guy is Fred Coppet is 5’9” 205.

Jordan Fredericks – reminds me of Fred Coppet and is almost the same size. I suspect Dino will like what he sees in Jordan.

Dontae Strickland – I like his skills and think he is much closer to the Travis Green style. He could be the second back in rotation with Jordan.

George Morris III – Hard to tell – needs to beat out Strickland.

Devante McFarlane – RunDMC may be the odd man out in the RB department.

Ervin Phillips – Is it possible he converts to Wide Receiver? He caught more passes than anyone except for Steve Ishmael.

Moe Neal - I think he might red shirt.​

Wide Receiver
Bowling Green has 17 Wide Receivers listed on their roster – all sizes and shapes. We have 10. I would imagine that any player that can spell “pass” will be looked at for possible conversion to WR.

Brisly Estime – I look for Bris to shine in this offense. He will get a lot of deep balls thrown his way.

Steve Ishmael – probably the biggest benefactor of the new offense will be Steve.

Ben Lewis – will almost certainly wind up back at wide receiver where he will get a lot of attention. Good hands, good route runner and very good blocker, he will be busy.

After these plus Ervin Phillips, no other WR is really notable based on results last year.

Jamal Custis – I think we will finally find out what Custis can do. Underutilized in Lester’s system he will have his chance next year.​

Kenterius Womack – I have to think that with his speed and hands, he will become a deep threat in the new offense.​

Tight Ends

BG has 4 tight ends listed on their roster – we have 7 and only one graduates. Looks like this is one position where players will be encouraged to leave.

Any of you offensive line mavens please chime in.

Whatever happened to Adly Anoicy? The coaches raved about him before he got hurt in practice last year.

Culpepper ... You mean Rex Culpepper

I think the WR group needs an upgrade bad. That's part of the reason I thing Neal will not redshirt. He is not a pure RB and will be able to help

There is nothing that Womack has shown that says he can play WR. We are still hoping he can because he is an athlete.

And then there is Ben Lewis. I know he is a board favorite but I have not seen enough explosiveness out of him to be able to contribute on the outside. I don't see him being able to beat a DB at the line.

With Strick I think you are right. He will get a lot more run next year. He should have got a lot more touches last year.

Phillips I think is a walking injury waiting to happen. I was disappointed with the amount of balls he dropped but when you are constantly hurt it is hard to stay in the flow. Another reason I don't think Neal will redshirt. Unless we can get Tisdale.

Estime.. I'm not impressed. I hope Neal and take his spot.

Having big guys block on the outside may be a nice thing too.

We'll be fine against peer schools. I think it will be rough sailing against the teams with physically superior defenses. If the offense is predicated on winning one-on-one match-ups, teams like Louisville, Notre Dame, Clemson and FSU are going just be physically better. Hopefully the scheme will catch up in year 2 or 3 or Babers will be able to attract a couple elite athletes to plug in.

Nothing to add...I'm just pumped!
tumblr_mm481mgJtU1s0e8ajo1_400.gif

Rex Caldwell? Did we get a new recruit?

;)
LOL I was just talking to someone else about a friend Rex Caldwell when I was posting this.

I wouldn't describe Matt Johnson as a pro style QB.

I think both Dungey and Mahoney can play for Dino
You have to talk to the recruiting sites - that is how they have him listed.

Syracuse's offense under Lester was not that far off DB'S so I think the transition will be easier than some think.

I think Moe Neal gets playing time next just on the speed factor alone.

Thinking that the younger OLINE guys on the team might be in better shape than what the SR'S were in this year so the up tempo no huddle might be that big of hurdle for Babers to overcome.

Does Babers bring in his own S%C COACH? Has he traveled with Babers wherever he goes? Babers even said they train differently.

Culpepper ... You mean Rex Culpepper

I think the WR group needs an upgrade bad. That's part of the reason I thing Neal will not redshirt. He is not a pure RB and will be able to help

There is nothing that Womack has shown that says he can play WR. We are still hoping he can because he is an athlete.

And then there is Ben Lewis. I know he is a board favorite but I have not seen enough explosiveness out of him to be able to contribute on the outside. I don't see him being able to beat a DB at the line.

With Strick I think you are right. He will get a lot more run next year. He should have got a lot more touches last year.

Phillips I think is a walking injury waiting to happen. I was disappointed with the amount of balls he dropped but when you are constantly hurt it is hard to stay in the flow. Another reason I don't think Neal will redshirt. Unless we can get Tisdale.

Estime.. I'm not impressed. I hope Neal and take his spot.
Womack might have the best hands on the team and he is a burner. Really pissed that Lester burned his shirt for nothing this year. Once he learns to run routes and get off of the line he is going to be special. I am betting that Dino will see to it.

LOL I was just talking to someone else about a friend Rex Caldwell when I was posting this.
How many have you had today? After all it is a celebration day.

I guess I will answer my question. He did carry this guy over fro EIU and is a Apprentice from Pat Ivey that Missouri might have gotten rid of.

Sean Edinger (Director of Strength and Conditioning)
Edinger worked at Eastern Illinois in a similar role during the 2012 and 2013 football seasons, and at BGSU, he will supervise the strength and conditioning programs for all 18 Falcon sports. He has also worked at Central Missouri and Haskell Indian Nations University in Kansas. Edinger was a graduate assistant at the University of Missouri after graduating from Kansas in 2006.

http://www.rockmnation.com/missouri...om-assistant-coach-craig-kuligowski-tops-list

Last edited:
Syracuse's offense under Lester was not that far off DB'S so I think the transition will be easier than some think.

I think Moe Neal gets playing time next just on the speed factor alone.

Thinking that the younger OLINE guys on the team might be in better shape than what the SR'S were in this year so the up tempo no huddle might be that big of hurdle for Babers to overcome.

Does Babers bring in his own S%C COACH? Has he traveled with Babers wherever he goes? Babers even said they train differently.
I don't see any similarity between the two offenses. Don't judge it by the NIU game as that was very atypical.

Personally, I think Hicks is an endangered species.

Dino's guys are like a cult - true believers all and they will want to do things the cult's way.

I wonder if any of the 4th year juniors will transfer from SU?

I don't see any similarity between the two offenses. Don't judge it by the NIU game as that was very atypical.

Personally, I think Hicks is an endangered species.

Dino's guys are like a cult - true believers all and they will want to do things the cult's way.

So they are literally going to be drinking the orange kool-aid? About Hicks...does he do the training for all sports because they have had a heck of a year as the soccer team won 1-0 today!

So they are literally going to be drinking the orange kool-aid? About Hicks...does he do the training for all sports because they have had a heck of a year as the soccer team won 1-0 today!
I believe Cory Parker is doing the olympic sports S&C. A position he held in the 90's when Gerber when the Football S&C coach. he took some time from 2000-2010 (roughly) to get his local strength/speed studio going (Strength In Motion) but now he is back

Actually the Baylor offense prefers mobile QB's than pocket "pro-style".

I think Dungey, Scott, and Mahoney are more what they would be looking for.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...arappolo-matt-johnson-bowling-green/75927926/

"Recent NFL success stories — Russell Wilson and Drew Brees, among others — has made height less of an issue than in the past, but Johnson remains undersized at an even six feet. Sturdily built at 215 pounds, he's quick enough to extend plays with his feet and make throws outside the pocket, two requirements of the position in Babers' system."

Sounds like Dungey to me, those are two things he's a natural at and so is Scott.

Here's what the Pope has to say.

http://smartfootball.com/spread/goo...ith-baylor-hc-art-briles#sthash.Ss2s68DL.dpbs

"I’ve always liked a real mobile quarterback. We’ve always had our best teams that way. Even having Kevin Kolb at Houston. He’s fixing to be a star quarterback for the Eagles. You know, Kevin’s a mobile guy. He’s one of only three quarterbacks in college football history to throw for 400 yards and rush for 100 yards in a game. He had that capability; we just didn’t pull it out of them that much because he’s such a precise passer and we had other weapons around him. I like a guy who’s mobile. I like a guy who can move around and make things happen, and create plays for other people. - See more at: http://smartfootball.com/spread/goo...ith-baylor-hc-art-briles#sthash.Ss2s68DL.dpuf"

I would love to see Dieter (#4) for Bowling Green transfer for his grad year at SU. Led the team with 89 catches for 957 yards this year

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom