Class of 2014 - C Paschal Chukwu (CT) Verballed to Syracuse | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 C Paschal Chukwu (CT) Verballed to Syracuse

OH hell, yes. That last video ... sign him up. No wonder they're on him. The highlights focus on the put-back jams and the drives. But I also saw a mid-range jumper, excellent timing and lift on low-block defense/rebounding, and a drop-step.

This is a no-brainer - let's just hope that Paschal doesn't meat Paypal.
I think you need to slow down your roll. Paypal material? I don't think so.

This is not a no-brainer. It needs to be thought out. SU already has the heir apparent to BMK in Chino. With the beautiful bounty of riches currently at center everyone is hoping for Chino to RS, which puts him at the same year as this guy. That is one BMK replacement too many.

The next SU center recruit looks like it should be a McD type replacement for Rak coming in 2015 (before DC2 announces that he is returning). Maybe Jessie Govan.

Our center and forward positions are layered beautifully. Let's not get all piggish and load up on B levels just because we can. That just clouds the situation for the 5 stars. Please reference our current problems at guard.

This is not a no-brainer. It needs to be thought out. SU already has the heir apparent to BMK in Chino. With the beautiful bounty of riches currently at center everyone is hoping for Chino to RS, which puts him at the same year as this guy. That is one BMK replacement too many.

The next SU center recruit looks like it should be a McD type replacement for Rak coming in 2015 (before DC2 announces that he is returning). Maybe Jessie Govan Cheick Diallo fixed.

Our center and forward positions are layered beautifully. Let's not get all piggish and load up on B levels just because we can. That just clouds the situation for the 5 stars. Please reference our current problems at guard.

The next SU center recruit looks like it should be a McD type replacement for Rak coming in 2015 (before DC2 announces that he is returning). Maybe Jessie Govan.

Hey, don't get me wrong. I like Chino. Good upside, 6'10, nice kid, solid STUDENT. All that's great. But we're talking two seasons from now -- no more Keita, very likely no more Rak, DC2's third year if he stays that long. So the center rotation would be DC2/Chino and someone else. If DC2 (and I'm assuming Rak also) is/are gone, then with Chino alone, size in the middle becomes an issue. Chino's only slightly taller than Rak ... and Rak (much stronger) gets pushed all over the lane when he plays in the middle against true centers. I know we're looking at some quality bigs (Diallo really looks good, but he's class of 15) ... so why shouldn't Paschal be a candidate in the 2014 class at 7+ feet tall? Pretty nice piece of candy to have in the middle of the zone, no?

Just sayin...

Hey, don't get me wrong. I like Chino. Good upside, 6'10, nice kid, good STUDENT. All that's great. But we're talking two years away -- no more Keita, no more Rak, possibly DC2's last year if he last that long.

So the cubboard isn't exactly packed full that far out. And, not for nothing, but this kid's 7 feet tall and he can leap, and he's a junior with good athleticism and a developing offensive game. Pretty nice piece of candy to have in the middle of the zone, no?

Just sayin...
In 2014 Raks a senior, DC2 is a junior, Chino will be a RS frosh. That seems like a tough sell.

And I think the staff needs to be careful that even if they could get him in here, that he is not another Cat Rescuer. Because bringing in another body might muddy up the situation with a top flight recruit for 2015 - like Cheick Diallo or Jessie Govan. Given our current center layering projections, 2015 looks like it would be a perfect time to bring in a stud center.

In 2014 Raks a senior, DC2 is a junior, Chino will be a RS frosh. That seems like a tough sell.

And I think the staff needs to be careful that even if they could get him in here, that he is not another Cat Rescuer. Because bringing in another body might muddy up the situation with a top flight recruit for 2015 - like Cheick Diallo or Jessie Govan. Given our current center layering projections, 2015 looks like it would be a perfect time to bring in a stud center.

Rak almost left this year. We're lucky to have him back. And I think it's more likely than not that he's not here in 2 seasons (and he's a 5 in a pinch anyway IMO). DC2 will be in his third year, yes, and Chino will likely be a RSF. I'm sure the staff is aware of where we stand with offers and who's likely to be left in '14.

You're point, if I'm understanding you correctly, is that we don't want to add another development player to the lineup in 2014 if it scares away an A-List 2015 recruit like Diallo. My point is that to my (untrained) eye, Goodluck's looking like an A-Lister, and Paschal looks as athletic (or more so) than Diallo but is 4" taller.

I'd like to hear from Tee or Franci or more from you (Sgt). But from clips only, I'd take either Paschal or Goodluck in 14 and not sit on Diallo. Paschal has ridiculous size and very good motor and hops from what I'm looking at (not just a cat rescuer, lol). Our other '14 prospect, Goodluck, is playing 1-2 feet over the rim. Yes, Diallo ('15) has long arms and runs well, but I don't notice as much power/lift in him as Goodluck, or even Paschal for that matter. Not to mention that in Diallo's year, TB becomes available, who is (although a forward) just as big as Dialo and can do damage all over the court like back in the day when Billy Owens was here.

From my couch, I'm taking the 7'1 kid or Goodluck in 14.

Rak almost left this year. We're lucky to have him back. And I think it's more likely than not that he's not here in 2 seasons (and he's a 5 in a pinch anyway IMO). DC2 will be in his third year, yes, and Chino will likely be a RSF. I'm sure the staff is aware of where we stand with offers and who's likely to be left in '14.

You're point, if I'm understanding you correctly, is that we don't want to add another development player to the lineup in 2014 if it scares away an A-List 2015 recruit like Diallo. My point is that to my (untrained) eye, Goodluck's looking like an A-Lister, and Paschal looks as athletic (or more so) than Diallo but is 4" taller.

I'd like to hear from Tee or Franci or more from you (Sgt). But from clips only, I'd take either Paschal or Goodluck in 14 and not sit on Diallo. Paschal has ridiculous size and very good motor and hops from what I'm looking at (not just a cat rescuer, lol). Our other '14 prospect, Goodluck, is playing 1-2 feet over the rim. Yes, Diallo ('15) has long arms and runs well, but I don't notice as much power/lift in him as Goodluck, or even Paschal for that matter. Not to mention that in Diallo's year, TB becomes available, who is (although a forward) just as big as Dialo and can do damage all over the court like back in the day when Billy Owens was here.

I tend to agree with you here.
I wouldn't want to sit on a '15 when there's some uncertainty. After all, we're not etched in stone to get Diallo anyway.
As long as there's enough talent in both 2014 prospects, which there certainly is, why not take it while we can?

Of both Goodluck and Chukwu, you're getting a rim protector. One of the interviews above, Chukwu even says that's his favorite thing to do. Not to mention, both of these guys are athletic enough to finish easy dunks, lobs, etc. I thought I saw Paschal reverse one of those alley oops, which is pretty sick for his size.

That said, Diallo fits the bill as the other two. So why not go for a 2014? We snooze on a '14 and miss with Diallo, less chance to land an elite shot blocker.

I tend to agree with you here.
I wouldn't want to sit on a '15 when there's some uncertainty. After all, we're not etched in stone to get Diallo anyway.
As long as there's enough talent in both 2014 prospects, which there certainly is, why not take it while we can?

Of both Goodluck and Chukwu, you're getting a rim protector. One of the interviews above, Chukwu even says that's his favorite thing to do. Not to mention, both of these guys are athletic enough to finish easy dunks, lobs, etc. I thought I saw Paschal reverse one of those alley oops, which is pretty sick for his size.

That said, Diallo fits the bill as the other two. So why not go for a 2014? We snooze on a '14 and miss with Diallo, less chance to land an elite shot blocker.

I agree 100%. Diallo is blowing up and is far from a guarantee that he ends up in Orange. I really like Chino and think he'll be a solid player for us in time but I wouldn't feel comfortable in a situation where we miss on Diallo, DC and Rak are gone, and Chino is our only center on the roster. Although we may have a good shot with Diagne who I know Francis speaks highly of, I'd still like a little more depth. Chukwu seems like its only a matter of time before he puts it together and becomes a really good college center.

I agree with you Reed 100%. If there is an opportunity to take either Chukwu or Goodluck(I'm starting to prefer Chukwu more) you have to do it. The last thing I think any fan would want to see is a lack of depth inside with only either DC2 or Rak and having a redshirt Chino backing that player up. Imagine if a serious injury occurs then we'll really be screwed. The good news for 2015 is that it looks very strong at the post position with Diallo, Diagne, Silva(who Tee knows about well) etc etc. I'm confident that we'll land somebody in the post that will be very good for 2015, but once again if the opportunity is there to get a quality big for 2014 then we gotta do it.

My original point is, and it still stands, is that this is not the no-brainer you make it out to be.
First, you think Rak will be gone. I disagree, the odds of him leaving reduced by his staying this year. Certainly the staff is monitoring this situation.

You seem to be ranking Paschal in the same tier as Goodluck, Diallo, and Govan. If the staff doesn't have that view (probable) then the decision of bringing in this guy gets more complicated.

TB has nothing to do with the centers. Nothing.

From where I sit Paschal is in the same tier as Chino and it would be a mistake to bring him in. Look at what happened with the guards, Whitehead and Briscoe look cool on SU because we have loaded up with a ton of decent/good recruits. Our center situation sets up well for a stud in '15, lets stick with the plan.

My original point is, and it still stands, is that this is not the no-brainer you make it out to be.
First, you think Rak will be gone. I disagree, the odds of him leaving reduced by his staying this year. Certainly the staff is monitoring this situation.

You seem to be ranking Paschal in the same tier as Goodluck, Diallo, and Govan. If the staff doesn't have that view (probable) then the decision of bringing in this guy gets more complicated.

TB has nothing to do with the centers. Nothing.

From where I sit Paschal is in the same tier as Chino and it would be a mistake to bring him in. Look at what happened with the guards, Whitehead and Briscoe look cool on SU because we have loaded up with a ton of decent/good recruits. Our center situation sets up well for a stud in '15, lets stick with the plan.

Ok, thanks for your take. From my seat, Rak is a stretch 4, who'll be returning to PF as our centers start contributing more. I don't think he lasts until 2014, but if he does, he's not going to be playing the 5 if our centers are functioning properly. Even at the 4 two years from now, he'd be battling Grant and McCullough ... who arrives in 2014 and is a monster.

I think you misunderstood my reference to TB. Obviously, he's a 4, and hasn't committed yet (maybe waiting to see if the hammer is one/done). But TB's in the same class and is just as big as Diallo ... the guy you think we should turn down an athletic 7 footer (Chukwu) and a monster shot-blocker (Goodluck) for. I'm no talent guru -- Francis and Tee are the guys to listen to on recruiting. But I doubt the staff is going to pass on players as big and promising as GO and Chukwu just to pine for a 6'9 Diallo a year later (if he's available).

Whatever happens -- this is a great problem to have. SU is absolutely sick with front line talent this year and next -- with CJ dominating the ACC this season, McCullough coming next season and Grant and Roberson exploding. At center, I look for DC2 to take a big step this year, and Keita has been playing great D and running the floor like a dear. Chino will be a nice player for us down the line. And whether we take a Chukwu or GO, or wait on someone else, we're going to continue play at an elite level.

If we have a scholly to offer this kid would be a good pickup. He would be a great anchor for the middle of the zone.

However, we are at 10 right now so I don't think barring a reduction in our penalty from 3 schollys we could get him in.

Who cares about battle anymore, honestly. Noone was saying he'd 100% come here, none of us are perfect.

Back to chukwu, 7'2 in the middle of the zone would look nice. Add Lydon and Diagne to the mix and thats some size up front. Just got to get Lydon about 20 lbs of muscle and we're in business.