Class of 2020 - Patrick Tapé / Columbia Grad Transfer | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 Patrick Tapé / Columbia Grad Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with that. But at the same time who do you see making an impact? Edwards has potential but is not physically ready and don’t believe he will be ready next year either. JBA??? Sidibe??? If we have Stewart this year we’re dancing with room to do a lot of damage.

I think that if Edwards played 20-25 games this year, 5-8 minutes a game, he would be more used to the bodying up that he will receive next year, and he would learn how to play offense against bigger stronger guys. I think that if we fed Edwards in the post, he's probably got the most moves and the softest touch of any of our "big" guys, including Guerrier.

Just look at Guerrier. The more he plays the better he gets. He was (surprisingly) awful at the beginning of the year. Now he is a real contributor. He needs a couple more moves in the low post, but he's strong and he's a hard worker inside. He can help us.

Sidibe is not as awful as people make him out to be. This is the first year that he's playing significant minutes without being injured. I think he has improved. Historically, 5 points and 7 rebounds a game out of our center is not bad.
For comparison, Chukwu only gave us 4 points and 5 rebounds a game as a senior. DuJuan Coleman only gave us 5 points and 5 rebounds a game as a senior, albeit in about 7 fewer minutes per game. Rakeem Christmas as a junior scored 6 points and got 5 rebounds a game. Finally (for now), Baye Keita only gave us 4 points and 4 rebounds a game.

I think JBA has a more game-ready body than the other guys, but was kind of clueless on the floor in our exhibitions. He literally looked like he had seldom played basketball before, and certainly had no idea what to do in the middle of the zone. So, he should be "Exhibit A" as to whether practice or games are the best way to develop players. He's had a whole year to practice. Let's see what he's got.

Marek at PF, if any of the other guys (really two of them ...) get somewhat better, is our best situation for next year.

I was at the scrimmage in November and thought Ajak looked better than Edwards, but different strokes for different folks.

He can shoot the 3 and set a pick on offense. But my recollection of him in the middle of the zone is shots going up, and him looking around not know what he was supposed to do on defense.

He can shoot the 3 and set a pick on offense. But my recollection of him in the middle of the zone is shots going up, and him looking around not know what he was supposed to do on defense.

Yes. Looked skilled offensively. The defensive issues are correctable as he looks like a plus athlete.

I'm an eternal optimist, but at least one of these three things will be true next season:
1. Sidibe will be healthier and gain some mobility
2. Edwards will bulk up and be an effective post player.
3. Ajak will be pretty good.

Seems like he would fit in with this year's team.

I think that if Edwards played 20-25 games this year, 5-8 minutes a game, he would be more used to the bodying up that he will receive next year, and he would learn how to play offense against bigger stronger guys. I think that if we fed Edwards in the post, he's probably got the most moves and the softest touch of any of our "big" guys, including Guerrier.

Just look at Guerrier. The more he plays the better he gets. He was (surprisingly) awful at the beginning of the year. Now he is a real contributor. He needs a couple more moves in the low post, but he's strong and he's a hard worker inside. He can help us.

Sidibe is not as awful as people make him out to be. This is the first year that he's playing significant minutes without being injured. I think he has improved. Historically, 5 points and 7 rebounds a game out of our center is not bad.
For comparison, Chukwu only gave us 4 points and 5 rebounds a game as a senior. DuJuan Coleman only gave us 5 points and 5 rebounds a game as a senior, albeit in about 7 fewer minutes per game. Rakeem Christmas as a junior scored 6 points and got 5 rebounds a game. Finally (for now), Baye Keita only gave us 4 points and 4 rebounds a game.

I think JBA has a more game-ready body than the other guys, but was kind of clueless on the floor in our exhibitions. He literally looked like he had seldom played basketball before, and certainly had no idea what to do in the middle of the zone. So, he should be "Exhibit A" as to whether practice or games are the best way to develop players. He's had a whole year to practice. Let's see what he's got.

Marek at PF, if any of the other guys (really two of them ...) get somewhat better, is our best situation for next year.

I understand what your saying and I don't see it. Give me Towns and a transfer big man who can grab rebounds, block a few shots, score a few buckets, not get pushed around, and not be in foul trouble every game. That's all I want. Heck we 'd be 5 games better with Chukwu and that's no joke!

... Sidibe is not as awful as people make him out to be. This is the first year that he's playing significant minutes without being injured. I think he has improved. Historically, 5 points and 7 rebounds a game out of our center is not bad. For comparison, Chukwu only gave us 4 points and 5 rebounds a game as a senior. DuJuan Coleman only gave us 5 points and 5 rebounds a game as a senior, albeit in about 7 fewer minutes per game. Rakeem Christmas as a junior scored 6 points and got 5 rebounds a game. Finally (for now), Baye Keita only gave us 4 points and 4 rebounds a game. ...
I agree that Sidibe is not as awful as people make him out to be. It seems that he has two main problems: constant foul trouble, and stopping the opposing center from scoring. From several players' comments, I gather that the SU defense is willing to give up some 2-pointers to the opposing center (or whoever flashes into the paint). But too often, the opposing center gets 2 points plus 1 because he gets weakly fouled in the paint.

Screenshot_20200229-160317_Instagram.jpg

Jg3 and HW and JC are the PG options and BG and BB are SG with Richmond coming in right? That’s why we think HW is leaving?

Is there a post somewhere talking about ships and needs and what not? I’m to lazy to look for it.
We have all 13 scholarships allocated right now.

We have 2 guys coming in next year ( Newton, Kadary) - so we need to free up 2 scholarships, 1 is a senior (Belbey), and we aassume Eli will be the other.

If we add a Grad Transfer (Towns, Tape) we will need someone else to leave (Carey, HoWash, Braswell)

Just spoke with Pat. I'll probably have something on him Thursday morning. Here's a few notes from our conversation:
-Academics are really, really important
-There are concerns about Hughes leaving and how he gets replaced
-Playing in the ACC/around North Carolina is big
-Says Syracuse is among the top schools but he's likely waiting for the dust to settle in terms of NBA departures, other transfers before making a choice
-He and Seth Towns have spoken and ST landing in Syracuse would be huge

Just spoke with Pat. I'll probably have something on him Thursday morning. Here's a few notes from our conversation:
-Academics are really, really important
-There are concerns about Hughes leaving and how he gets replaced
-Playing in the ACC/around North Carolina is big
-Says Syracuse is among the top schools but he's likely waiting for the dust to settle in terms of NBA departures, other transfers before making a choice
-He and Seth Towns have spoken and ST landing in Syracuse would be huge
Great stuff. Was thinking this sounds like a smart kid. Then I remembered he's a grad transfer from Columbia, so that shouldn't be shocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom