Class of 2020 - Patrick Tapé / Columbia Grad Transfer | Page 59 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 Patrick Tapé / Columbia Grad Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think just the opposite. another shooter is great but a post game helps our shooters get open shots it becomes pick your poison...
I'm with Gabjon on this.. Having an inside threat like Tape opens things up big time for our guards and Griffin who can shoot the 3. Also Marek, who displayed some nice driving and passing ability.

There’s a Columbia/Rutgers game highlights vid on YouTube from 2018. I think Tapé had 15 points in that game. In significantly fewer than 40 minutes.
He’s got decent skills, is a solid body that won’t get abused like we often have lately. And he’s a year+ more mature now. Maybe he’s made another step forward.

We have no idea what we’ll get with JBA at the 5, and Edwards looked promising but not ready for major minutes. And Sidibe is improved, but can’t stay on the floor and had knee issues. Tapé can help. We might actually have a post up game. And an inside-outside tandem with Griffin.

It’s not bad. Weaker competition. Why was he limited to 23 minutes? I like that he won’t likely get muscled. I think of him as a nice complement, not a critical piece. I appreciate the civility of your response. I was expecting to get pure flames.
I believe he had a season-ending injury and then sat out last year.

There’s a Columbia/Rutgers game highlights vid on YouTube from 2018. I think Tapé had 15 points in that game. In significantly fewer than 40 minutes.
He’s got decent skills, is a solid body that won’t get abused like we often have lately. And he’s a year+ more mature now. Maybe he’s made another step forward.

We have no idea what we’ll get with JBA at the 5, and Edwards looked promising but not ready for major minutes. And Sidibe is improved, but can’t stay on the floor and had knee issues. Tapé can help. We might actually have a post up game. And an inside-outside tandem with Griffin.
I hope we close they deal on Tape (and believe we will). But one thing here ... Sidibe is going to play a lot of high-level basketball for Syracuse next year. He will get called for less fouls simply for being a senior and play fewer minutes because of the revamped roster depth. But his production was and will continue to be on the uptick.

Last edited:
I hope we close they deal on Tape (and believe we will). But one thing here ... Sidibe is going to play a lot of high-level basketball for Syracuse next year. He will get called for less fouls simply for being a senior and play fewer minutes because of the revamped roster depth. But his production was and will continue to be on the uptick.
Yep - finally got a whole pre-season and full year HEALTHY and ... boom. RF's been prophesying this for 3+ years and I had my doubts at the beginning of the year. A couple rough patches against big front lines (LV, UM) but next year I think he's all in .. ready for a great senior season on what's shaping up to be a pretty good team.

Last edited:
I get that part. I think everyone is a little frustrated with the state of recruiting.

Not so much. Things are humming along pretty damn nicely, if you ask me. Even though pretty much every year these days there is a decent chunk of the board that tends to freak out, and call for our demise before we even finalize our roster. And every year we end up putting a competitive team on the floor, yet some seemingly never learn as they continue to believe it will be our first losing season.

I’m not all that sure what’s so frustrating about recruiting these days. Yeah, the past few years have been kind of iffy, and friggin’ obnoxious at times, but order has been fully restored now, IMO. And I don’t see that changing much for a few years, maybe not until JB calls it quits for certain, but even then it looks like JB is going to do everything in his power to keep the cupboard full for the next guy. Who just may end up being one of our current assistants, so they should be able to hold onto a majority of the kids in the program, and keep those
that committed, or were planning to.

We got Eli’s replacement during a pandemic, and had to wait all of like two, maybe three weeks, depending on how you look at things, to find him. Tape is most likely spurning Duke for us, and just doing his due diligence now. Since there’s really no rush, ya know? That’s rhetorical, as a select few actually don’t seem to know. Dior should be bringing some friends in 2022, as long as he sticks around (which he will sans the NBA rule changing). And that’s a Chance I’m willing to take. :rolleyes:

We’re now a legitimate top 25 squad going into next season, and should battle for a top 4 spot in the ACC, especially if AG gets the waiver to be eligible right away. Even if he doesn’t, and we only add Tape, the team is not some disaster that those pesky select few again would like you to believe.

I guess 2021 could be frustrating, since we may have to wait on Benny now, plus landing Mac looks unlikely at the moment. Will just have to rely on Jesse, and JBA going into their third year in the program. The horror! And who knows how things shake out with the transfer portal, along with Grad transfers, as both are turning into a glorified waiver wire. More room to join the juggernaut 2022 recruiting class, and tag along on JB’s retirement tour, culminating with some net cutting in Houston. After Girard hits 6 threes in the 1st half, and Dior puts up a double double. All wrapped up when QG soars in for the game sealing rejection.

My only major frustration is that Bobby B may not stick around now, but I’ll live with two years of Griff, plus hopefully a few years out of Woody, QG, and Benny. The front court is plentiful, and regardless of how little faith some have in our guards, they are only going to get better. Along with adding a prototypical Cuse guard to the mix in Kadary, so it’s not going to be just JG, and Buddy until the wheels fall off, as much as the Buddy bashers say otherwise.

We really have very few major weaknesses moving forward. Size up top is worrisome, though Kadary, and if need be, Griffin helps remedy that. Our rebounding, and rim protection should be a strength now with the development of QG to go along with our seniors Marek, and Sid anchoring the front line. Then two young bigs with pretty solid potential once they fill out some, and the big man light goes off. That’s always a crapshoot. Tape is just icing on the cake for next season, and puts an end finally to us needing any minutes from MD at the 5. Plus Tape likely ends up being our best offensive 5 since Rak, with skills in the post that we haven’t seen since AO.

We potentially have four threats from deep that can all be on the floor together at the same time. Hell, with JBA at the 5, we can roll out five shooters at once. Depends on QG, and/or MD improving their jumper. Which I think both will do, but may not need to now that Griffin is in the mix. I really doubt that QG doesn’t improve his three ball substantially by the time his career is done here. He just wasn’t hitting ‘em early, so JB shut him down. His form is really rather solid, so he just needs some time to build his confidence. Marek showed he can be serviceable from deep, if needed, and has improved his shooting form every year. He could have a senior year similar to CJ Fair, and shoot a high percentage by basically only taking two wide open looks a game, and hitting one.

I know many think we won’t contend for an ACC crown with our two white hopes only playing so much because they are JB’s kids, JG being his adopted son. But, if that’s somehow the case, which it isn’t, we can switch to a backcourt of Kadary, and AG if the anointed duo are still two of the worst defenders you’d think the basketball world has ever seen. I know it’s hard to fathom, but JB enjoys winning more than playing kid if it’s a detriment to the team. We could potentially roll out a classic Cuse lineup of 6’5, 6’5, 6’8, 6’10, and 6’11. All while still having 3, maybe even 4 shooters on the floor at once.

Ouuu baby! Frustrated I am not. But, this isn’t targeted solely at you, Brian. Most of the time, you know how to vent respectfully, while not making it so personal towards the coaches, players, and the rest of the forum.

Alright, there’s my ramble for the day. Gonna try not to bombard the forum with my tangents about posters that can’t seem to be anything but negative. All the while imploring that it’s fair, unbiased criticism, and they are just realists, not haters. Pay no mind to the incessant Buddy bashing, and beliefs about Goodine not getting a fair shake from JB, since his kid would clearly play over Jesus himself. Put aside the poor play during BG’s opportunities, as they just got a feeling he would have done better with more time, even against tougher opponentsand they’re never wrong! Then somehow the optimism from those of my ilk is blatantly delusional, plus biased, as our judgement is clouded by the loyalty we have for JB. Pay no mind to the clear favoritism many with these thoughts had towards Goodine since the day he committed.

But, I finally digress, and now, back to your regularly scheduled programming. Sorry 79, had to get my one essay in since I haven’t posted much lately, and gotta hit that quota for my sanity. :confused:

I’m still kind of shocked that Tape backed out of commitment to the Dukie stains. I commend him for not falling prey to that turd burgling program. Is it possible that he has preferred the Cuse all along, but when Towns picked OSU, he decided that we weren’t going to be good enough without a replacement for Eli? Then when he heard that Griff was coming it gave him pause, and made him want to look into our situation some more to get a better understanding on how things will play out, especially the eligibility of AG. Maybe even throwing OSU back into the mix with Wesson heading to the NBA.

No clue, just a thought, but hopefully he’s only making sure that his heart is 100% into joining the Cuse. I’m not too worried about him being hesitant to pull the trigger, since it’s barely been a few days, and he has relatively all the time in the world. No need to rush, especially with everything else going on in life that is weighing heavily on all of our minds, making a decision on basketball, and creative writing seem petty in the grand scheme of things.

Like you said, Tape is a piece; Griffin was crucial. We only need Tape for 20-30 minutes a night depending on the game
Watched some of Tape. Rutgers and Northwestern games. He’s very old school with the post moves. Less of an athlete than what we now have but nice left hand like AO. Luxury for 20 mins tops per game. Would not be able to get to corners of zone if he had to. Will not be crucial now that Griffin is on board IMO

Watched some of Tape. Rutgers and Northwestern games. He’s very old school with the post moves. Less of an athlete than what we now have but nice left hand like AO. Luxury for 20 mins tops per game. Would not be able to get to corners of zone if he had to. Will not be crucial now that Griffin is on board IMO

I haven't watched his full games, but he seems like he's decent mobile but has very little elevation to his game. He can and will dunk no problem, but I worry how/if his post game/layups will translate against bigger opponents. Having said that, he fared well offensively in his games against Power 5 teams; it was the rebounding where he really suffered.

10.5pts per game
5.1rebs per game
22.8 mins per game

Those were AO's numbers in the 09-10 season.

Value a big man with a solid post is how it FORCES the defense to react.

Are you going to press up on the shooters and let him go to work in the post?
Double off the 4 (marek) and give him a free run at the rim?

Hedge down off the shooters and risk opening up the 3pt shooting game?

Sidibe does not have that type of post game Tape does and he is a better foul shooter than AO was.

10.5pts per game
5.1rebs per game
22.8 mins per game

Sidibe does not have that type of post game Tape does and he is a better foul shooter than AO was.

Colleges won't necessarily defend it logically, but most likely they should just live with defending the post 1 on 1 and seeing if Tape can make them pay. Even if Tape is great in the post, it'll almost certainly be a less efficient shot than a wide open cutting Dolezaj or wide open 3 pointer would be and obviously we have to see if Tape is even good enough to win 1 on 1 in the post against legit competition on a consistent basis.

Regardless though, he may offer a wrinkle offensively that we don't otherwise have and that's never a bad thing. His potential as a roll man excites me more though.

10.5pts per game
5.1rebs per game
22.8 mins per game

^^^ Agree. Some people are saying Tape is a luxury but not a need. Does not make sense. I am not slamming Sid either. Bring Tape and we have 2 experienced low post players. That is huge. If between them both we can get 10-14 points, 10-12 boards total, that works.

Tape will be a big addition...if he commits. I look forward to hearing what he decides and hopefully it will be soon!

Colleges won't necessarily defend it logically, but most likely they should just live with defending the post 1 on 1 and seeing if Tape can make them pay. Even if Tape is great in the post, it'll almost certainly be a less efficient shot than a wide open cutting Dolezaj or wide open 3 pointer would be and obviously we have to see if Tape is even good enough to win 1 on 1 in the post against legit competition on a consistent basis.

Regardless though, he may offer a wrinkle offensively that we don't otherwise have and that's never a bad thing. His potential as a roll man excites me more though.
Colleges will defend it based on their personal, if its not logical than they should fire their coach.

he shoot 67% his last year, that is HIGHLY efficient.

1 on 1 post defense is not what it use to be especially a 5yr guy playing against freshmen and sophomores.

He is not a high flyer so I'm not sure he will be great in the pick in roll, he might be more of a pick and pop guy from the mid-range.

Last edited:
Alright, please...

gif_temp.gif

Colleges will defend it based on their personal, if its not logical than they should fire their coach.

he shoot 67% his last year, that is HIGHLY efficient.

1 on 1 post defense is not what it use to be especially a 5yr guy playing against freshmen and sophomores.

He is not a high flyer so I'm not sure he will be great in the pick in roll, he might be more of a pick and pop guy from the mid-range.

He shot 67% from the field, not 67% on post-ups. Sidibe shot 69% this year from the field as well but I don't think anyone would argue that he's a great post scorer. FG% doesn't really help us in that regard. We would need access to one of those premium databases to see what Tape shot in post-up situations, and even then, we don't really know how it'll translate against bigger and better competition.

Again, I think Tape would be a nice addition to the team and I do think he can potentially add one or two wrinkles to our offense that we don't currently have. I'm just saying unless he's like Shaq, a post shot is almost always going to be less efficient than the shots that would be created by doubling the post. Certainly still has it's place; a post shot is much easier to create than an open 3 pointer or an open dunk. But in terms of how to defend it, teams should be willing to live with it and see if Tape can make them pay.

He shot 67% from the field, not 67% on post-ups. Sidibe shot 69% this year from the field as well but I don't think anyone would argue that he's a great post scorer. FG% doesn't really help us in that regard. We would need access to one of those premium databases to see what Tape shot in post-up situations, and even then, we don't really know how it'll translate against bigger and better competition.

Again, I think Tape would be a nice addition to the team and I do think he can potentially add one or two wrinkles to our offense that we don't currently have. I'm just saying unless he's like Shaq, a post shot is almost always going to be less efficient than the shots that would be created by doubling the post. Certainly still has it's place; a post shot is much easier to create than an open 3 pointer or an open dunk. But in terms of how to defend it, teams should be willing to live with it and see if Tape can make them pay.
I agreed, but Columbia did run the Princeton offence which runs the offense through the post and per the videos he had many post attempts.

I believe offense efficiency numbers should be adjusted to factor in transition opportunities against produced, this would produce a more accurate number.

Basically missed 3s create more transition opportunities for your opponent than missed post shots and mid-range shots and therefore reduces its true efficiency.

Last edited:

Doley at the FT line, with shooters and an offensive post presence will be fun. That said, I think we may have a 2-3 headed monster inside. Our front court will be strong. Quincy needs at least 20 minutes a game, if not more. Not sure how a Marek not in foul trouble comes off the floor. Woody in intriguing. I look for Sid to be really good next year. I am a big fan of Jesse's skill set and bball IQ. Add Griffen and Tape, wow.
I think this bodes well for a big, backcourt of Griffin and Kadary, at times, perhaps.

Are these 2 transfers good enough to make us a top 25 team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom