Patterson | Syracusefan.com

Patterson

weepeel

Walk On
Patterson's game reminds me a little bit of a young scoop jardine...by the time he is a senior he will be very effective for the syracuse zone and offense

I like buss. I do think on a good SU team he doesn't play much, but this year he has to get minutes. Joseph just isn't doing enough to be getting all the minutes.

I like buss on defense, he's always very active and in decent position. He's always aggressive and moves quicker to the ball than Joseph.mHim and cooney seem to be in better sync. Patterson offensively has made some nice passes and even when reversing the ball throws a harder pass. I think he can drive a bit more but hopefully that comes with improved confidence and some work.

The bad is he can't make a shot from the outside and today he showed inability to step to line and knock them down with confidence. Hopefully that will improve.

I like buss. I do think on a good SU team he doesn't play much, but this year he has to get minutes. Joseph just isn't doing enough to be getting all the minutes.

I like buss on defense, he's always very active and in decent position. He's always aggressive and moves quicker to the ball than Joseph.mHim and cooney seem to be in better sync. Patterson offensively has made some nice passes and even when reversing the ball throws a harder pass. I think he can drive a bit more but hopefully that comes with improved confidence and some work.

The bad is he can't make a shot from the outside and today he showed inability to step to line and knock them down with confidence. Hopefully that will improve.

He does seem to have better vision at times than Joseph - at least he seems able to anticipate a cut from someone else before he even makes the catch, which in turn allows him to quickly deliver the pass (sort of seeing one step ahead of the catch).

Some of his feeds into the post to cutters are very nice - and shows he sees the court well. Overall, I'm still not sure what to make of him. I'm not saying he's better suited than Joseph to play PG at all, he's not really a PG anyway, but he does seem to make some passes that are far more instinctual and typical of a PG than what Joseph seems able to create at this point.

I do know he can't shoot. He seemed to be trying to mix it up a bit today - a lot more arc on his last couple threes then the first few.

Patterson is getting his minutes but we wont develop as a team if you dont get joseph playing as much as he can. same for McCullough.. it also shows how much these get coached since both him and roberson looked to see limited min and now are playing when it counts.

Patterson is getting his minutes but we wont develop as a team if you dont get joseph playing as much as he can. same for McCullough.. it also shows how much these get coached since both him and roberson looked to see limited min and now are playing when it counts.

It's hard to keep Roberson off the floor when he's rebounding like this - if that short jumper keeps coming along we probably will see more and more of him to the detriment of McC.

I wonder if we start going with Roberson/McC/Rak frontline, with a G/Cooney backcourt more often going forward. I wouldn't be shocked to see that development once we start struggling in ACC play. Eh, actually I would be shocked...

It's hard to keep Roberson off the floor when he's rebounding like this - if that short jumper keeps coming along we probably will see more and more of him to the detriment of McC.

I wonder if we start going with Roberson/McC/Rak frontline, with a G/Cooney backcourt more often going forward. I wouldn't be shocked to see that development once we start struggling in ACC play. Eh, actually I would be shocked...
I don't think that front line JB likes because it forces either roberson or chris to somewhat play on a wing offensively. Neither one of those guys are a 3 on offense so that's why lately we havnt seen mike play up top in the zone keeping him at the 3.

Patterson's game reminds me a little bit of a young scoop jardine...by the time he is a senior he will be very effective for the syracuse zone and offense
I don't think he will be here as a sr.

I don't think that front line would work at the moment because McC and Roberson are still to slow to close out on the corner three point shooters in the zone, if put them in at the same time would just magnify the problem...playing G at the three spot allows up to defend against the corner three balls much better than with roberson playing the 3.

At this point G is probably our best PG. I think JB has had him basically running the show for a couple of games now.

I will take that wager as a gentlemen's bet. If anything at this point I would expect BJ to be the one not here as a senior.

Also, I can't see why anyone doesn't see a little scoop in patterson and his playing style

weepeel said:
I will take that wager as a gentlemen's bet. If anything at this point I would expect BJ to be the one not here as a senior. Also, I can't see why anyone doesn't see a little scoop in patterson and his playing style

Scoop had an amazing handle, great passer, and could hit a jumper.

Scoop had an amazing handle, great passer, and could hit a jumper.
As a sophomore or junior? I liked scoop but amazing handle is a stretch. I remember him getting picked at half court at times. He has a better handle than Ron and that's for sure tho. Ron isn't a pg. Was a good passer I agree. Didn't really shoot it well if I remember correctly till his last year and even then many where knocking his jumper. What I always liked the most from scoop was the little floater he used in his career. Wish more guys would use that instead of taking it into the bugs and missing shots. With that said I don't see any similarities with him and Ron.

He physically looks like scoop. Both face and body are very similar in my opinion.

Scoop wasn't all that consistent but by his Sr year understood the game well enough to not make too many mistakes - plus JB trusted him. You guys must remember all those "Good Scoop" and the "Bad Scoop" threads. I do remember Scoop coming up big in several games for us with some clutch play and he was solid enough but I also do not remember him having an "amazing" handle.

BTW, I was always a big fan of Scoop - he had onions and was never afraid to take the shot, never lacked for confidence that one. I also loved that he showed his emotions on the court. Good times!

I think Ron Patterson can be serviceable and is a much needed guard body on this team.

With that being said he still picks up his dribble too much and needs more movement with the ball.

yeah, I was good with his drives to the hoop today (and his little putback in the lane was nice) but for now he just needs to pass up the 3

He needs to keep penetrating.

He has a few great passes and finishes at the rim. He can't shoot, so no reason to keep trying...right now.

He can definitely be an effective guard, in short stints, for us without shooting 3s.
- Great energy, especially his activity on defense
- Solid passer with good vision
- Adequate handle
- Good finisher at the rim

Scoop wasn't all that consistent but by his Sr year understood the game well enough to not make too many mistakes - plus JB trusted him. You guys must remember all those "Good Scoop" and the "Bad Scoop" threads. I do remember Scoop coming up big in several games for us with some clutch play and he was solid enough but I also do not remember him having an "amazing" handle.

BTW, I was always a big fan of Scoop - he had onions and was never afraid to take the shot, never lacked for confidence that one. I also loved that he showed his emotions on the court. Good times!
Scoop was a 5th year senior Patterson will be a 4th year senior plus they play different positions. Sorry I don't see the comparison and I am not sure Buss will get the chance with the way recruiting is going.

I really liked what I saw from Patterson today.

I don't see the Scoop comparison. Scoop had the ball on a string, that was probably his defining characteristic. Patterson doesn't handle it like that at all.

Not sure we have five trustworthy players to have on the court in the final 2 minutes. I count 2.5.

I was going to say he actually reminds me of Louie McCroskey more than Antonio Jardine, so the above statement is more likely.

Most people are complaining that SU doesn't play the bench enough and you want to play Joseph more. No way does Patterson get 20 minutes subbing for Cooney. At this point I think 20-25 minutes playing and the rest on the bench watching and learning is a good ratio.

"He (Patterson) physically looks like scoop. Both face and body are very similar in my opinion." That was my comment at the beginning of the year. On TV, I thought he looks very much like Scoop now that he has his hair cut.

One thing I think is that when the team pushes the ball up court, they shouldn't worry about getting the ball to Joseph or G (who ever is at point) but to get right into the offense. All the guards can start the offense to a certain degree, waiting for a "pg" only allows the defense to get set.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom