Pearl story | Syracusefan.com

Pearl story

syrcuse

Walk On
I was a 20 yr old graduate from SUNTY Canton. My mother was very sick and dying. So, I decided to finish my BS degree locally and help with my mom. She was very religious and NEVER spoke badly about anyone. Well when I came home, I made her watch SU BB with me. She knew nothing about the sport. However, she soon fell in love with PEarl AND HATED EWIG. Yes, she called him EWIG not Ewing. Soon she was in the hospital. I took every clock we had and taped Pearl's face on each one. When she woke up from surgery, the Pearl brought a smile to her face. I will never forget rubbing my mom's head and doing spin moves around her and saying "The Pearl". She and I loved what the Pearl brought to the Cuse. I will never forget the joy and excitement he brought to our home when things were rough. GOD BLESS THE PEARL!! I still keep the "Donate Blood" Poster with Pearl in my office. He's shooting over Ewig and Reggie Williams is on his back. PERARL WAS DA BEST!!!

lets keep the Pearl stories going...

I was at the 2003 final 4 as a 17 yr old. Get in the elevator at the hotel and its me and Pearl heading down to the lobby. Im star struck - and he must know it. He gives me the head nod and I muster out "whats up pearl?" get to chat with him for 20 seconds. Seemed like a lifetime. Awesome.

I was born in 85 - so i never "saw" him play. But I was born with a Syracuse stuffed basketball in my my crib (was in my sons as well FYI) and Pearl and Sherm and DC were all LEGENDS in my book the same way Jim Brown, Floyd LIttle, and Ernie Davis were - if not a little bit more becuase they were more recent. God Speed Pearl.

lets keep the Pearl stories going...

I was at the 2003 final 4 as a 17 yr old. Get in the elevator at the hotel and its me and Pearl heading down to the lobby. Im star struck - and he must know it. He gives me the head nod and I muster out "whats up pearl?" get to chat with him for 20 seconds. Seemed like a lifetime. Awesome.

I was born in 85 - so i never "saw" him play. But I was born with a Syracuse stuffed basketball in my my crib (was in my sons as well FYI) and Pearl and Sherm and DC were all LEGENDS in my book the same way Jim Brown, Floyd LIttle, and Ernie Davis were - if not a little bit more becuase they were more recent. God Speed Pearl.

I wish I had one, but I am enjoying reading all of your stories.

I remember writing this letter like it was yesterday when I was 11 years old with an assist form Orangeyes. It was published in the Herald Journal. Love you Pearl!

IMG_3094.JPG

First SU game (and probably first major sporting even) I ever saw live was Cuse v. Nova in the Dome back in February 1986. I was 8 years old. Pearl must have dropped 40. I'd never seen anything like it -- he was snapping ankles all over the court, getting to the rim at will and burying jumpers. Figured he played for the Harlem Globetrotters the way he was owning Nova's backcourt. I remember by father telling me at the time, and reiterating it to me this morning when we read DD's article: "Son, that is the greatest guard you will ever see play this game." Hyperbole? Sure. But it felt like it back in 1986 ... and as I remember it now, it feels like it today.

My first experience with Pearl goes way back before he signed with Syracuse. I've always followed recruiting and I had read of his exploits playing at Boys and Girls in Brooklyn. He was known back then as the most exciting HS player in the country and he was considering SU. I heard that Pearl would be visiting Syracuse one day so I really wanted to meet him, say something really positive why he should come to SU and get his autograph. Back in the day, the recruits would sit right behind the team on the bench. My brother in law and I went to the game and saw Pearl sitting there before the game started and decided to stop over to try and get an autograph. We got to Pearl pretty easily and started talking. He was very relaxed and easy to talk to. During our conversation, a cop stopped over and told us to move on. Unfortunately, we hadn't got his autograph yet nor had I hadn't even asked for one yet so I was kicking myself. In a very smooth move, Pearl looked at the cop and asked for a pen and then proceeded to give us autographs. My brother in law and I stood there smiling from ear to ear, looking at the cop.

My parents had the opportunity to go to the Hardwood Club dinner in the 1984-85 and 1985-86 seasons when I was about 9-10 years old. We weren't really sure of the format as to whether they would be able to get autographs or not. First year, they each got almost the whole team but the Pearl's line was just too long so they didn't have time to get to the front. Second year, I thought this might be our last opportunity with the possibility of him going pro. I remember the garage door opening and waiting for them to come in and see if they got it. My dad got practically the whole team except no Pearl again. I looked at my mom's sheet and sure enough, right in the middle The Pearl was scribbled. Mission accomplished! My mom was one of the last in his line to get one before they cut off the signing. Needless to say, I still have and will always have it in a special spot in my collection.

I used to work at the Red Lobster on Erie Blvd and the Pearl was a frequent customer. So was Gtwon when they came into town. They'd come in as a team. I remember Ewing being huge, but I never really interacted with them or Pearl. It was fun seeing him though.

I remember walking home from class and seeing Pearl playing 3 on 3 in the Women's Building. I didn't have my sneakers so missed out on playing a pick- up game with him. I spoke with him briefly at a dwi awareness event. What I remember most of all though, was him standing by the bike rack on M Street, just talking to kids for nearly an hour. He wore legend with incredible grace , even at so young an age.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom