Penn State sex abuse reported as far back as 1976 | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Penn State sex abuse reported as far back as 1976

The Schiano stuff is second hand. But, if it is true, that he saw a boy being molested, how can he look at his children, knowing that he saw a kid being violated and then not do anything. He must never sleep. Same goes for the other coaches that were aware of what was going on.

I don't understand. They allowed all of this for the sake of a football team?

I don't think its a simple as that, it was covered up to save the University. I think if this story had truly been discovered back in the 70's or 80's that the university as a whole would have collapsed. Parents wouldn't allow their children to apply/attend since they allowed a monster to slip into their ranks. The whole athletic department would've suffered from this, not just football, and lets be honest they area economy survives because of PSU. They kept quite while looking into and probably discovered that it was that truth and not just some whispers, but by the time they did get the facts or enough of them they felt it had taken too long and it would've made them look worse. With each passing year making the perception problem only looking worse and worse.

Under no circumstance should any university ever face the death penalty again if these sick cultists didn't get it. If I'm SMU I'm contemplating a major lawsuit for lost incoming and interest against the NCAA.

I don't think its a simple as that, I think it was covered up to save the University, I think if this story had truly been discovered back in the 70's or 80's that the university as a whole would have collapsed. Parents wouldn't allow their children to apply/attend since they could let a monster slip into their ranks like that. The whole athletic department would've suffered from this, not just football. They kept quite while looking into and probably discovered that it was that truth and not just some whispers, but by the time they did get the facts or enough of them they felt it had taken too long and it would've made them look worse. With each passing year making the perception problem only looking worse and worse.

Under no circumstance should any university ever face the death penalty if these sick cultists didn't get it. If I'm SMU I'm contemplating a major lawsuit for lost incoming and interest against the NCAA.
I know it is easy to say, but it is never too late to do the right thing. It should have been done at the very first evidence. How do they not even quietly let Sandusky go? How does he, after retiring, still have an office at the university, and an organization designed to bring in kids. They didn't just sweep it under the rug, they allowed it to grow. And I am not arguing with you, because I am sure you agree, but how do these people live with themselves?

I don't think its a simple as that, it was covered up to save the University. I think if this story had truly been discovered back in the 70's or 80's that the university as a whole would have collapsed. Parents wouldn't allow their children to apply/attend since they allowed a monster to slip into their ranks. The whole athletic department would've suffered from this, not just football, and lets be honest they area economy survives because of PSU. They kept quite while looking into and probably discovered that it was that truth and not just some whispers, but by the time they did get the facts or enough of them they felt it had taken too long and it would've made them look worse. With each passing year making the perception problem only looking worse and worse.

Under no circumstance should any university ever face the death penalty again if these sick cultists didn't get it. If I'm SMU I'm contemplating a major lawsuit for lost incoming and interest against the NCAA.

In that era a lot of people would simply say stay away from that guy.

I know it is easy to say, but it is never too late to do the right thing. It should have been done at the very first evidence. How do they not even quietly let Sandusky go? How does he, after retiring, still have an office at the university, and an organization designed to bring in kids. They didn't just sweep it under the rug, they allowed it to grow. And I am not arguing with you, because I am sure you agree, but how do these people live with themselves?

oh trusts me, were both on the same page. I guess I'm just trying to look at from their perspective, trying to gain some insight on how they could sleep at night.

In that era a lot of people would simply say stay away from that guy.

you would think so, but I don't think anybody truly understands how deep this problem probably went. I remember reading awhile back that one of the prosecutor disappeared and was never found again but they did find his files or laptop at the bottom of a stream close to were he was last seen. I think some of theses coaches were probably told to keep their mouths shut and had a legitimate fear of something if they did open their mouths. Especially when considering the number of rumors about different people who witness stuff and nothing ever came out from it.

Look at Mcqueary's testimony, He went to Bradley with what he saw and he basically said oh yea again? I've been hearing about this since the 80's. What must be running through your head as a young 20 something year old. You think you find something ground breaking and terrifying, only to realize that it seems to be a known normal thing.

Last edited:
I am honestly disturbed by PR coming from the Paterno camp - attacking the veracity of the accusers.
Given - the ultimate truth is unknowable, so now you have the choice of attacking people who potentially bare the shame, humiliation and psychological damage of sexual abuse OR you can be a human being with a conscience.

Not much middle ground. Choosing the former over and over is pretty startling.

And sadly, from what I've read, McQuaery was the one individual to suffer the most from this whole disgusting, sordid affair.

From the Washington Post article posted earlier in this thread:

"Doe 101 also testified it was well-known to the team and coaches that boys stayed in Sandusky’s room with him in the team hotel the night before home games in State College, and that he routinely showered with Sandusky and other coaches – including Paterno – and no one raised an eyebrow as Sandusky lathered up a boy who was not his son and engaging in “horseplay.”

makes me ill reading that but then there's this posted on Deadspin

Court Docs: Sandusky Victim Told To Write Apology Letter After Alleged Assault

"...While Sandusky and the other man left, Doe was informed by Gordon he would have to pen an apology letter to the pair for “telling lies,” and that his time at the Nittany House was likely coming to an end. As a homeless youth, Doe knew the unnamed alternative option.

A: ...the threat all along was that if you had to get removed from Nittany House, you got put into Centre County Youth Detention until they figured out what to do with you after that, send me to another group home.

Q: Which is a more serious—

A: It’s a prison for juveniles."

From the Washington Post article posted earlier in this thread:

"Doe 101 also testified it was well-known to the team and coaches that boys stayed in Sandusky’s room with him in the team hotel the night before home games in State College, and that he routinely showered with Sandusky and other coaches – including Paterno – and no one raised an eyebrow as Sandusky lathered up a boy who was not his son and engaging in “horseplay.”

makes me ill reading that but then there's this posted on Deadspin

Court Docs: Sandusky Victim Told To Write Apology Letter After Alleged Assault

"...While Sandusky and the other man left, Doe was informed by Gordon he would have to pen an apology letter to the pair for “telling lies,” and that his time at the Nittany House was likely coming to an end. As a homeless youth, Doe knew the unnamed alternative option.

A: ...the threat all along was that if you had to get removed from Nittany House, you got put into Centre County Youth Detention until they figured out what to do with you after that, send me to another group home.

Q: Which is a more serious—

A: It’s a prison for juveniles."
Wow.

Wonder why he didn't say that 5 years ago in 2011.

"You worked for six years under Jerry Sandusky. Did you have any inkling of what was going on?

Schiano: Because of the situation being what it is, I'm not even going to get into it. I'm so far removed. Again, you don't need people making commentaries on things like this. It's just a sad thing."

Big bonfire in hell tonight.
Sandusky has to be separated from the normal prison population, right? Otherwise he would be dead by now.

Wow - doubling down.

In light of statements to the contrary in the deposition, I'd have to guess that he was advised that anything short of a complete denial would have ramifications to his job security. Now he has to ride the storm out and hope nothing more will be revealed.

Sandusky has to be separated from the normal prison population, right? Otherwise he would be dead by now.

I'm honestly shocked that no one has tried to kill him yet.

Schiano also said this:

"During a press conference on Nov. 7, 2011, Schiano said, 'I think in situations like this, the fewer comments the better. It's just a terrible situation.'"

Now it's CYA the Ped State way.

Schiano also said this:

"During a press conference on Nov. 7, 2011, Schiano said, 'I think in situations like this, the fewer comments the better. It's just a terrible situation.'"

Now it's CYA the Ped State way.

paterno.jpg

This is just despicable. And what is just as irritating is the lack of accountability/denial/misdirection from the Paterno family.

The NCAA punishment looks lighter and lighter by the day. Penn St. should have received the death penalty (or worse - permanent cessation of program) and the NCAA should have never looked back.

Now, by reducing the sanctions to non-existance, the NCAA looks like they consider paying players to attend an institution to be a greater crime than covering up systemic child molestation. Unreal.

I'm at the point of saying that, knowing what we know now, anyone that supports that program should be ashamed of themselves. This is just beyond anything I could imagine that a program would knowingly be involved with.

And the cherry on the top is the hiring of James Franklin - known for attempting to cover-up a pretty vile rape case at Vandy. There has been no change to the culture at PSU and there likely never will be.

Last edited:
I have friends and family who went there who get mad at the thought of St. Joe having any involvement. They want to just single out Sandusky and lay all of the blame at his feet when there was a whole support system allowing him to get away with his evil and despicable acts. The only things the sanctions did was to make the Happy Valley community tighter and created an us versus the world mentality. Then the NCAA had the nerve to lessen the sanctions. Unbelievable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom