Penn State sex abuse reported as far back as 1976 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Penn State sex abuse reported as far back as 1976

I'm getting seriously tired of this topic. This is getting like the Pitt and Rutgers boards. Can't we stick to Syracuse topics. Pleeeeeaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeee? :bang:

One last thing about all this worth stating - the latest allegations come from sealed victim depositions in the lawsuit between PSU and its insurance company*. Evidently the insurance company is trying to get off the hook for the $90 million $ettlement, and if they are successful, wow, just wow. Then PSU really would have a lot in common with Rutgers and Maryland, financial train wrecks on the athletic side.

*"It wasn't clear how the PMA insurance group gathered previously undisclosed accusations against Sandusky, although Penn State has agreed to more than $90 million in settlements for at least 32 people identified as his victims. The university has sued the insurer for coverage of the payouts."
https://insurancenewsnet.com/oartic...knew-about-sandusky-abuse-as-far-back-as-1976

The amount of delusion Paterno supporters must live in is mind-boggling. If I'm a coach and I hear about a potential abuse situation with one of my coaches, I vet the crap out of the allegation. Two? Three? How many reports did he receive?

And yet - they claim he knew nothing and then when he did know took it to the chain of command. The reason this particular claim is like a damn fireball is that it rips a giant whole in the argument they've been pushing for the last few years.

It's just amazing. If Bernie's situation had turned into anything remotely like this, I'd be done with our program until serious changes were made, and I bet many on here would be also. And their only concern is defending his legacy at all costs and getting wins back. Sickening.

One last thing about all this worth stating - the latest allegations come from sealed victim depositions in the lawsuit between PSU and its insurance company*. Evidently the insurance company is trying to get off the hook for the $90 million $ettlement, and if they are successful, wow, just wow. Then PSU really would have a lot in common with Rutgers and Maryland, financial train wrecks on the athletic side.

*"It wasn't clear how the PMA insurance group gathered previously undisclosed accusations against Sandusky, although Penn State has agreed to more than $90 million in settlements for at least 32 people identified as his victims. The university has sued the insurer for coverage of the payouts."
https://insurancenewsnet.com/oartic...knew-about-sandusky-abuse-as-far-back-as-1976

I think insurance companies are mostly complete slime, but this actually makes sense. The inaction by leaders at Penn State created a situation where so many children were allowed to be victimized. Damages very easily could have been mitigated if the original accusations were acted upon, thereby eliminating the chance of their being any more victims (at the very least, any more victims associated with Penn State).

By not acting on these accusations and terminating their relationship with Sandusky immediately, Penn State was essentially negligent in their inaction. Additionally, I would imagine that none of this information was shared with the insurer, who most likely would have either terminated coverage, or significantly raised the premiums if they were aware of this. So for once, I can actually sympathize with an insurance company.

Yup, disgusting, kids being cycled through like the movie sleepers and Joe and even higher probably new about it. What makes it even creepier is PED STATES rural, isolated location. I will always hate them.

There is also this:

"The [court] order also cites separate references in 1987 and 1988 in which unnamed assistant coaches witnessed inappropriate contact between Sandusky and unidentified children, and a 1988 case that was supposedly referred to Penn State's athletic director at the time."
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blogs/...erno-of-sandusky-abuse-in-1976-004741886.html

Who was the PSU AD in 1988? Paterno had assumed the position in 1980, but I'm not sure when he gave up the job.

The amount of delusion Paterno supporters must live in is mind-boggling. If I'm a coach and I hear about a potential abuse situation with one of my coaches, I vet the crap out of the allegation. Two? Three? How many reports did he receive?

And yet - they claim he knew nothing and then when he did know took it to the chain of command. The reason this particular claim is like a damn fireball is that it rips a giant whole in the argument they've been pushing for the last few years.

Most coaches would, Paterno put the Penn St brand ahead of the welfare of children.

This is the least surprising yet most disturbing news of the day.

That whole town should be roped off. No one in, no one out.

simpsons-movie-dome-under-the-dome-stephen-king.jpg

so Sandusky was born in 1944, in 1971 would have been 27. according to the Wikipedia page which seems to be meticulously updated, he was back at peen state as a coach as early as 1969. so the accusation holds water. penn state has made an insurance claim to cover the settlements, this is the business I work in. i'm not completely surprised that these allegations are coming out because first, from what I can tell, private investigators can operate a bit differently than public investigators such as cops. that is not to say that one or the other can always get more information, but I think it happens. all I am saying is that penn state is making an insurance claim to cover their 60+ million in settlements and if they thought the insurers would go quietly, they apparently have another thought coming. because there is an entire new set of experts investigating this case.

good god

so Penn State harbors a child molester and UNC institutes fake classes all in the name of maintaining their high dollar income from athletics. And the NCAA helps cover it all up. No wonder Jim Boeheim at the private school had to pay for it all. Someone had to be the fall guy
i'm not sure this is fair, the ncaa dropped the hammer on peen state but then seemed to determine it was outside their "jurisdiction". unc has not had to face up yet as the punishment has not been issued.

good old Joe got all of his wins back and the NCAA chose to punish JB instead. Someone had to pay
Yup!
The good news is PSU learned from this and hired a great guy like Franklin. You know, the Franklin who tried to cover up and interfere with a rape investigation. See? They really have changed over in State College.
Eh, Franklin will be on a tight leash. They hired a president that has a history of taking very hardline stands against abuse.

(There isn't a sarcasm font, but if there was, my post would be dripping with it.)

[EDIT: Please don't take my post as making light of a very serious situation. I'm just very frustrated with how little the school is doing to address a very serious problem. Abuse of any kind is a very serious issue, and it's one where signaling really matters. Hiring individuals who have checkered pasts (fairly or unfairly) sends the wrong signal when an organization is trying to move past its own problems.]

Last edited:
i'm not sure this is fair, the ncaa dropped the hammer on peen state but then seemed to determine it was outside their "jurisdiction". unc has not had to face up yet as the punishment has not been issued.
The NCAA grew out of an organization that was founded with the express purpose of promoting in safety football. I fail to see how it's out of the NCAA's jurisdiction when a school willingly let's a child abusers to use its football facilities and brand name to abuse children, so that said school can continue to employ the abuser (who is a legendary DC) and not get hit with fines and bad PR, which might adversely impact football recruiting. If the school is willing to let an abuser destroy the lives of an unknown number of children, what else are they willing to do? How can anyone claim that the PSU FB program is safe for anyone?

PSU NEEDS to remove football from its institutional memory by suspending the program for four years, and by cleaning house in the AD/upper management and only hiring replacements with squeaky clean pasts.

And yes, I realize that the BoT is very different and so is much of the AD (at least in terms of roles). However, most (if not all) of the AD staff replacements were internal hires and the BoT election one-pagers were all tributes to Joe. The BoT needs a cycle or two of non-Penn Staters dominating it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom