Perspective... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Perspective...

Really? 1 game (even if we were victorious) is not a program make. And, as you know, upsets happen on a daily basis. There is no doubt that UK's program is at a different level than ours, as is Duke's, KU's, etc. As newmex mentioned, we seldom ever get top 20 kids, UK gets 2-4 annually. Look at our long history of going up against the Blue Bloods when it comes to recruiting, it's pretty abysmal from a head to head standpoint. It really speaks for itself.

Yeah, really. We've got the best team we've had since 2012--UK doesn't scare me, I don't care what our respective rankings are now, we're a top 5 team.

And that holds true historically, where we are top 5 all time in wins. It is one thing to lament losing out on a top prospect, and quite another to suggest that we need to know our place and similar such defeatist nonsense. "One game does not a program make" -- talk about lack of perspective.

One more thing: I was in Houston last April, and unless I'm mistaken I watched a team that doesn't recruit 2-4 top 20 kids annually take it to a traditional Blue Blood that did.

From the Daily Orange article today:

The five-star guard woke up Saturday still “not really sure” where he wanted to go. He filled out part of his National Letter of Intent on Wednesday, but didn’t complete it. Since the deadline for early enrollment has already passed, he plans to sign in April with the rest of his Neumann-Goretti teammates.

The five-star guard woke up Saturday still “not really sure” where he wanted to go. He filled out part of his National Letter of Intent on Wednesday, but didn’t complete it. Since the deadline for early enrollment has already passed, he plans to sign in April with the rest of his Neumann-Goretti teammates.

Damn... that's a good and interesting find... who knows what happens. We obviously can't rely on ending up with QG, but even with all this noise, a possibility of it is interesting enough...

Hope the DO is accurate.

Full disclosure: I'm a UK fan. I'm not here to harass or aggravate an already inflamed situation. I'm here because Syracuse is one of a handful of non-conference teams that I respect and follow, and because I'd really like to see a UK-Syracuse series sometime in the future.

Having said that... In reference to the bold line, how do you figure? Again - not looking for a fight. Just here to talk basketball.

Sure--I have zero problem responding to a respectful note like yours. If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't get it, either just by looking at the ratings. We're rated #18, but are rated far too low--by what will prove to be a very significant margin. Our preseason ranking is a function of the pieces we lost from last year's team, and a general unfamiliarity with how three recruits we added late [two of whom were 5th year transfers] will fit in, and what impact they'll have on this year. I have watched our team this season prior to the games, and I'm quite confident that we are going to be joining you in the top 10 very, very soon. This is our best team since 2012, when we went 30-1 in the regular season.

I understand that this does not make sense from an outsider perspective--especially given the recruits UK lands. And my belief in what I state above doesn't require anybody else to believe it. But my expectation [and I expressed this in detail during the preseason write up I did--this is not based upon sour grapes from losing Green last night] is that the team we have will prove to be a national championship contender. We'll see how things turn out.

Trae Young -- Calimari is calling.

Wow...wth. ? I kind of had a feeling he hadn't decided...

I believe this article is incorrect as UK has released a couple press releases that list all 4 of their commits and comments from Calipari which would be violations if they had not signed.

I believe this article is incorrect as UK has released a couple press releases that list all 4 of their commits and comments from Calipari which would be violations if they had not signed.

Why would it be a violation if he hadn't signed? If he committed, then he's a commit for UK.

Why would it be a violation if he hadn't signed? If he committed, then he's a commit for UK.

I think OBurg is right. A verbal commit means nothing really. Need writing for it to be binding, on the back of which the commitments can be discussed. My guess is the DO is wrong on this one.

I could be totally wrong, but I thought the rule was a coach couldn't comment on recruits until they signed their LOI. :noidea:

I could be totally wrong, but I thought the rule was a coach couldn't comment on recruits until they signed their LOI. :noidea:

Correct. A school cannot comment in a player who hasn't submitted an NLI.

Did they? The only guys I saw quoted were arrigale and Evan Daniels. You're right though.

No, the coaching staff can't publicly comment about players who haven't signed.

That is different from the school putting out a press release, which is how I interpreted the post above. The school [or the Lexington newspaper, or whatever] aren't bound by that same restriction.

No, the coaching staff can't publicly comment about players who haven't signed.

That is different from the school putting out a press release, which is how I interpreted the post above. The school [or the Lexington newspaper, or whatever] aren't bound by that same restriction.

Are you sure about that? Honest question, I am not 100% certain, but I would assume the school could not put out a release about a player unless they have signed...

Are you sure about that? Honest question, I am not 100% certain, but I would assume the school could not put out a release about a player unless they have signed...

99.9% certain. I don't think the school wouldn't be able to report the commitment, but the coaches might not be allowed to talk about unsigned players. I believe [could be wrong, but as above I'm pretty sure I'm not] that the school wouldn't have the same kind of restriction.

I'm almost positive the rule is that anybody at the school cannot comment on a recruit without a signed LOI. I believe we had some issues with either football or basketball a few years ago when someone sent out an tweet after a recruit gave a verbal commitment.

I'm almost positive the rule is that anybody at the school cannot comment on a recruit without a signed LOI. I believe we had some issues with either football or basketball a few years ago when someone sent out an tweet after a recruit gave a verbal commitment.

Yeah schools definitely can't list or comment until recruits are signed. Schools and coaches were just allowed to retweet and like recruit's tweets in the last couple of months but can't tweet stuff out publicly to them or have their name listed.

It has always been listed as a secondary violation (which is basically nothing) when someone from school puts out message about a recruit before they have signed.

OK, I stand corrected.

Yeah schools definitely can't list or comment until recruits are signed. Schools and coaches were just allowed to retweet and like recruit's tweets in the last couple of months but can't tweet stuff out publicly to them or have their name listed.

It has always been listed as a secondary violation (which is basically nothing) when someone from school puts out message about a recruit before they have signed.

That's exactly how I understand it. This is what I was referencing when I talked about the situation when we got in trouble. It was with Dajuan Coleman.

Syracuse University tweet about Dajuan Coleman violates NCAA guidelines

OK, I stand corrected.

No problem. Just keeping fighting the good fight against our sudden visitors from the Bluegrass State who have decided to visit our site and all will be forgiven, particularly in reference to our potential this year.

Correct: a coach can't comment on a recruit - at least not by name - until the school has the letter* in hand. Meanwhile, Cal's media people posted a video of him addressing all four signees by name earlier today.

*Now, the thing I'm uncertain about is what, if any, rule differences there are between an LOI and a financial aid agreement (FAFSA, I guess). What Green might have done is the same thing Brandon Knight and maybe one or two others at UK (and I'm sure elsewhere) have done recently: fill out a FAFSA, enroll at the University, but forego the LOI. A recruit doesn't have to sign a LOI, and not doing so gives him more flexibility if and when that recruit changes his mind about his commitment or needs to back out for any other reason.

Again, not sure if that's the route Green took, but it might help to explain some of what you guys heard about the wishy-washy paperwork.

And we know Cal would never violate a rule. Maybe he plans on heading off to the sunset of the NBA in a couple of years and figures once again it is no biggie if he leaves a mess in his wake. I can't speak for the DO, but the story is based on an interview with Green, so they were supposedly his words. I have not seen any other story to confirm this fact though.

Sure--I have zero problem responding to a respectful note like yours. If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't get it, either just by looking at the ratings. We're rated #18, but are rated far too low--by what will prove to be a very significant margin. Our preseason ranking is a function of the pieces we lost from last year's team, and a general unfamiliarity with how three recruits we added late [two of whom were 5th year transfers] will fit in, and what impact they'll have on this year. I have watched our team this season prior to the games, and I'm quite confident that we are going to be joining you in the top 10 very, very soon. This is our best team since 2012, when we went 30-1 in the regular season.

I understand that this does not make sense from an outsider perspective--especially given the recruits UK lands. And my belief in what I state above doesn't require anybody else to believe it. But my expectation [and I expressed this in detail during the preseason write up I did--this is not based upon sour grapes from losing Green last night] is that the team we have will prove to be a national championship contender. We'll see how things turn out.

I understand completely, although we've sort of grown accustomed to this working in the opposite way over the last few years; I think we're routinely ranked too high in the preseason and that too much stock is placed in what the stud freshman might do. We all saw how that worked out when Noel and Goodwin were with us, and for a while - until the tournament, really - the Randle year was the same.

You might be right about your team ranking-wise, but I'll say this: on paper Syracuse doesn't appear to have the wealth of experience that a lot of teams rely on to beat Kentucky's youth. I look at your roster and see a lot of freshmen and sophomores. Now, I also see more vets than we have, but you'd have to tell me which of those guys is effective and which isn't. Still, in a matchup between a young and a relatively-young team, I'll trust Kentucky's talent - and believe me, it's there. The sample size is small, of course, but I like what I've seen for the most part.

I do think it's strange that Malik Monk has played the role of shooter almost exclusively thus far. I expected his bread-and-butter to be above the rim, with enough shooting to keep the D honest. I'll take what he's given, but I hope to see more of the explosiveness he's known for. Team rebounding has also been concerning, but I feel like that's a matter of Adebayo figuring out how to play within the rules, and Humphries learning to squeeze the pumpkin.

Give me some specifics, though. Let's talk match-ups. I don't know your guys at an individual level as well as I'd like, so fill me in on what you're seeing if you don't mind.

And hey: if you guys find it annoying that a UK guy's drinking in your bar, then feel free to say so. I'll get it. I'm a mod at a UK forum and know how this sort of thing can look.

I understand completely, although we've sort of grown accustomed to this working in the opposite way over the last few years; I think we're routinely ranked too high in the preseason and that too much stock is placed in what the stud freshman might do. We all saw how that worked out when Noel and Goodwin were with us, and for a while - until the tournament, really - the Randle year was the same.

You might be right about your team ranking-wise, but I'll say this: on paper Syracuse doesn't appear to have the wealth of experience that a lot of teams rely on to beat Kentucky's youth. I look at your roster and see a lot of freshmen and sophomores. Now, I also see more vets than we have, but you'd have to tell me which of those guys is effective and which isn't. Still, in a matchup between a young and a relatively-young team, I'll trust Kentucky's talent - and believe me, it's there. The sample size is small, of course, but I like what I've seen for the most part.

I do think it's strange that Malik Monk has played the role of shooter almost exclusively thus far. I expected his bread-and-butter to be above the rim, with enough shooting to keep the D honest. I'll take what he's given, but I hope to see more of the explosiveness he's known for. Team rebounding has also been concerning, but I feel like that's a matter of Adebayo figuring out how to play within the rules, and Humphries learning to squeeze the pumpkin.

Give me some specifics, though. Let's talk match-ups. I don't know your guys at an individual level as well as I'd like, so fill me in on what you're seeing if you don't mind.

And hey: if you guys find it annoying that a UK guy's drinking in your bar, then feel free to say so. I'll get it. I'm a mod at a UK forum and know how this sort of thing can look.
We love discussion. And drinking at bars - no matter whose. ;)

It's the ones who come to troll that end up having very short stays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom