Pete Thamel | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Pete Thamel

Hypothetical...

1. Candle comes in with his deep ties recruiting the talent beds of Ohio, Michigan, Western PA, etc. and now has a P5 ACC program to sell. When have we ever had real recruiting cred in Ohio?? It's not far away at all and that state is rife with talent... OSU, PSU, and Mich can't get them all. BOOM.

2. He brings on assistants with strong Northeast experience and recruiting ties (Addazio ilk, etc.) so we still have focus on the near coast.

3. He keeps Nunzio and D. Thomas from the current staff to keep our stamp in Jersey (and keep LaQuint from portaling.)

All wild speculation of course, but the makeup of the staff to cover the recruiting beds in target regions will be as important as any other big factor to success.

Candle is a successful, experienced FBS coach and knows this without guessing.

He will not be a total "learn on the job* candidate as I fear some of these other alternative names mentioned would likely be.
Uhm, so...

You should probably catch up on Fran Brown.

All I know is Testicular Fortitudis likes him (Brown) That’s good of enough for me !!

Hypothetical...

1. Candle comes in with his deep ties recruiting the talent beds of Ohio, Michigan, Western PA, etc. and now has a P5 ACC program to sell. When have we ever had real recruiting cred in Ohio?? It's not far away at all and that state is rife with talent... OSU, PSU, and Mich can't get them all. BOOM.

2. He brings on assistants with strong Northeast experience and recruiting ties (Addazio ilk, etc.) so we still have focus on the near coast.

3. He keeps Nunzio and D. Thomas from the current staff to keep our stamp in Jersey (and keep LaQuint from portaling.)

All wild speculation of course, but the makeup of the staff to cover the recruiting beds in target regions will be as important as any other big factor to success.

He will not be a total "learn on the job* candidate as I fear some of these other alternative names mentioned would likely be.
Fran Brown is by all accounts is going to be the coach it would seem

Hypothetical...

All three are mixed bags. As far as recruiting Candle has only one player on the roster east of Ohio. None from Pennsylvania.

Hypothetical...

And very boring

Thamel is the kind of reporter to come in from left field and break the real story with the real coach over night. No knowledge of anything. But it is interesting Thamel is quiet. Makes me wonder.

Yeah, kind of what I’m getting at.

I mean no offense to you or the player's mother but that statement is crazy. Just because he did well with a little adversity for a week doesn't make him a long term solution.

How would she know what type of coach/recruiter/human Chesney is to be "concerned" about his hire?
The point is that she is not impressed with Chesney and his lack of P5 experience. She is doing her homework and really looking into the potential options. So then you can equate Chesney to a coach who coached I think it was 6 games for Rutgers as an interim head coach. And then she knows what went on with the players this week and how Nunzio pulled them together. She knows things that went on before the Wake game that I have not read anywhere. Not even a rumor. So I think she has a pretty good hold on things. PS. Her son has no interest in leaving Syracuse. She is not a fan of the transfer portal and believes in completing what you start. She also is not a fan of what NIL is doing. So who the coach is going to be is extremely important as they plan on staying at Syracuse no matter what.

Don't see it. I constantly hear how great he is, then he delivers Fran Brown. What a joke. This may be the literal worst hire imaginable.
Well how this FB HC search plays out will ultimately decide the success of Wildhack’s tenure as AD so I suspect he’s putting all of his effort into finding the right candidate with the resources available.

I actually felt confident given all the names being thrown around. Outside of Mullen, I didn't love anyone. But at the same time we had a lot of good candidates and I didn't hate anyone, except Brown. I really hope he isn't the guy, but I also have very little faith in JW so I would not be surprised. Trying to go the Deion route is like concentrating on the E and forgetting the S in ESPN.

We should let the guy coach a game first. Maybe even a season. Hell, perhaps two seasons. And then we can decide he’s the worst hire imaginable.
truth is regardless of who was hired we don’t have a clue. People going “iM sO doNe” were going to do that even after Dan Mullen’s second loss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom