Peter Carey transferring to Siena | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Peter Carey transferring to Siena

Didn’t Siena just have a Duke transfer?
Are you thinking of Andrew Platek, a local kid from Guilderland, who transferred to Siena from North Carolina?

Smart move by G-Mac

Peter Carey has good instincts and athleticism.
His defensive sense was demonstrated against NCSU.
Needs to get stronger and develop offensive game.

Big potential.
Sorry to see him leave Orangeland.

I thought I would go down memory lane to see if Syracuse EVER had players drop down to that level. And guys that played a lot more than Carey did at Syracuse. Here is a list.
1. Ed Gooding. Before your time. He left right away to JB's shock. He wouldn't wait. Transferred to Iona. Didn't do anything there.
2. John Karpis. Boston University.
3. Sam Spann. Fairfield. A favorite of old late friend Igor.
4. Deshaun Williams a star at Syracuse. A star at Iona
5. Louis McCroskey Marist
6. Ron Patterson iupui
7. Sy Torrence Binghamton
8. David Patrick Louisanna
9. James Theus Detroit
10. Deshante Riley Eastern Michigan
With the sole exception of Ed Gooding, all of these guys played more than Carey did with us.

Good post. I could quibble with a few of them (Spann played less, Deshaun was more attitude related, MAC being higher than the MAAC), but your point is def valid, there were more than I thought. My rebuttal would be to note I think we got better when said player left in every single case. I don’t think you look at that list and think “those were acc/big east quality players”. In fact, I look at that list and remember saying the exact opposite at the time they played for us. I guess that was my point, but your point is valid for sure.

How could anybody know?

The only video I saw of Carey was practice video. He made a really sharp diagonal pass leading the break. It was a nice play for a big man, but hardly enough for talent evaluation.

I think the consensus of those who weren't completely skeptical was "in JB we trust."

Carey is tall and athletic, perhaps he still has a nice future.
There are quite the H0T Takes in that thread.

I thought I would go down memory lane to see if Syracuse EVER had players drop down to that level. And guys that played a lot more than Carey did at Syracuse. Here is a list.
1. Ed Gooding. Before your time. He left right away to JB's shock. He wouldn't wait. Transferred to Iona. Didn't do anything there.
2. John Karpis. Boston University.
3. Sam Spann. Fairfield. A favorite of old late friend Igor.
4. Deshaun Williams a star at Syracuse. A star at Iona
5. Louis McCroskey Marist
6. Ron Patterson iupui
7. Sy Torrence Binghamton
8. David Patrick Louisanna
9. James Theus Detroit
10. Deshante Riley Eastern Michigan
With the sole exception of Ed Gooding, all of these guys played more than Carey did with us.
Nice list, Dash. Another - Brycen Goodine - Providence, then MAAC program Fairfield and is now sought after in the transfer portal.

Just in the past few years, Siena alone has had players transfer the other way too - from Siena for 3 years then to a Power conference (Penn St) and then drafted in the NBA, Jalen Pickett right from Rochester, just in 2023. Siena’s Javian McCollum, last year, transferred from Siena to Oklahoma St after his sophomore year averaged 14 points a game there and is now portaling again being ACC bound to Ga Tech for his last year. This is only noting Siena not even all the MAAC programs. Peter Carey is a name we may very well hear about again. Some players just need time, patience to develop. Unfortunately in this new portal world, there is no time for patience to wait until a promising player over time is well developed.There’s a reason so many unknown seniors and 5th year seniors suddenly became successful for their new teams, they had time to develop, mature.

he was just gonna play the billy celluck ,matt gorman, ,brennon mcbride,sean the cat rescuer type of role here. hope he get some meaningful minutes next stop. hell playing time is what it's all about . myself i'd rather play at a lesser level than sit and watch my team win without me.
in fact been there done that. no regrets. know your limitations. maximize your fun. play.

edit. but if all you truly want is the syracuse sheepskin then by all means sit and grin.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom