Peter Carey transferring to Siena | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Peter Carey transferring to Siena

Not sure why it’s controversial to say Peter isn’t an ACC quality player. It’s pretty obvious. Our recruiting also has dropped the last five years too. It’s all connected. Time to aim higher.
Now, yes…in 2 years…??

The recruiting game has changed in the last 2 years. If a HS kid can’t help you immediately, he may not be worth the ship now. You can get better options in the portal, but kids with his talent have forever been on HIgh Major rosters…they were the developmental depth.

Not only is he going to kill it at Siena, he’s the type of player that high majors will come looking for in 2 years because he’ll be 22-23 and a solid piece.

These players used to stay at a school and blossom in year 3-4, they don’t need to sit anymore.
Exactly why I was saying that I would like him to stay. He wouldn't help us next year. Might never help us. But by the time he is a sr., he just might.

At Syracuse, Carey was always two years away from being two years away.

This move makes sense because in the MAAC, he’s two years away.
Meh. Instant starter there. Kid has great footwork and very good defensive instincts. Needs to get stronger and get reps.

Watch the reps he had against DJ Burns at the dome. He got his knees under Burns butt and moved DJ off his spot on consecutive possessions. Much more instinctive at the 5 than Maliq. Just needs game experience.

Really wish he didn’t leave, but glad he’s going with GMAC.

Not sure why it’s controversial to say Peter isn’t an ACC quality player. It’s pretty obvious. Our recruiting also has dropped the last five years too. It’s all connected. Time to aim higher.
It’s not. Bookmarked this post and we’ll see where he is in 2 years. You had same guys in his recruiting thread comparing him favorably to Clingan and shtting on his rankings. Those posts got a lot of likes at the time too and will never be spoken of again. Is what it is.

Meh. Instant starter there. Kid has great footwork and very good defensive instincts. Needs to get stronger and get reps.

Watch the reps he had against DJ Burns at the dome. He got his knees under Burns butt and moved DJ off his spot on consecutive possessions. Much more instinctive at the 5 than Maliq. Just needs game experience.

Really wish he didn’t leave, but glad he’s going with GMAC.

Agreed.
I liked Carey, despite the intimation by some that he was no better than another cat-rescuer a la' Sean Williams-type.
His footwork was good, he looked mobile and moved well, and of course you can't teach height.
Hopefully he'll get his chances to shine at Siena. It'll be interesting to see how he ends up.

It’s not. Bookmarked this post and we’ll see where he is in 2 years. You had same guys in his recruiting thread comparing him favorably to Clingan and shtting on his rankings. Those posts got a lot of likes at the time too and will never be spoken of again. Is what it is.
I fear I have to fact check you after the he played a lot before Naheem got hurt. Who here compared him to Clingan? That is if it was anything but there are both tall and from New England.

Awesome.

Here’s my take on Clingan when we recruited him…

Looking forward to 2026.

Now, yes…in 2 years…??

The recruiting game has changed in the last 2 years. If a HS kid can’t help you immediately, he may not be worth the ship now. You can get better options in the portal, but kids with his talent have forever been on HIgh Major rosters…they were the developmental depth.
Which makes the roster composition all that more questionable the last two years.

Not faulting Red, who likely felt obligated to keep the class - but it made zero sense for us to have so many freshmen and sophomores on our team.

Awesome.

Here’s my take on Clingan when we recruited him…

Looking forward to 2026.
For the second time today, I had to waste my time going over stuff. I just went and looked back on the two, why we had two, I don't know, Carey commits to Syracuse threads. No one, and I guess I could have missed it, said anything about Carey being as good or near as good, or anything like that with Donovan. Now, there were some amusing takes in the thread. People were optimistic about him. Hoping that he would end up being good. He hadn't played as Jr because of injuries. Turned out as we now know, he didn't play as a Sr because of injuries. but in threads when someone commits, it is very rare for someone to say, this guy blows, I wish we didn't take him.

I just wrote that I used that and didn't find a single post saying he was anything as good as Clingan. Not one. This is the second time today.

this is where you move the goalposts despite there literally being a post saying “Carey is better than Clingan”

this is where you move the goalposts despite there literally being a post saying “Carey is better than Clingan”
I asked you to write who wrote that? That isn't moving any goal posts. I have to tell you, the Mulvey line was just a cheap pathetic shot. There are people that add things to the board. I haven't seen any of that from you. You made that incorrect post about Carey's playing time earlier in the day. For a while now, I have gone with the board is fun and if there are posters that are, well, jerks, put them on ignore. Especially if they never ever add anything to the board.

Not controversial to say he isn't an ACC quality player. Wiser to say that he isn't "yet".

But to say that we should be startled because someone that bad played 12 minutes for us prior to when they announced McLeod's injury is drivel.

I just wrote that I used that and didn't find a single post saying he was anything as good as Clingan. Not one. This is the second time today.

Not controversial to say he isn't an ACC quality player. Wiser to say that he isn't "yet".

But to say that we should be startled because someone that bad played 12 minutes for us prior to when they announced McLeod's injury is drivel.
One of the things I didn't like with Jb was not using all of our ships. We have them. Use them. And the bigger the player the more I want him for that 12th and 13th spot. At leats we look like a team at the airport. And you never know.

I read that one and the other one. Along with going over every box score to find that Carey played 12 minutes before Naheem got hurt.

I noticed a couple were deleted even just recently. I went back to it and it was gone.

Every player like Carey that is on a high level team and has struggled and can't get PT should drop to a level where they get the PT. That is the smartest choice for them to prove themselves.

Yeah happy for him and GMac, but the fact that he drops to a school the level of Siena should be startling that he even got mins for us to anyone paying attention
Didn’t Siena just have a Duke transfer?

Hiding the evidence of ridiculous talent evaluation.
How could anybody know?

The only video I saw of Carey was practice video. He made a really sharp diagonal pass leading the break. It was a nice play for a big man, but hardly enough for talent evaluation.

I think the consensus of those who weren't completely skeptical was "in JB we trust."

Carey is tall and athletic, perhaps he still has a nice future.

If there are other ACC level players that play in the MAAC or lower. You can move the goalposts from the original post two3 made. I’m not going to.

Just in case you don’t remember the original post said “ I guess I don't know why he was ever here”. That’s what the subsequent post was referring to.
I thought I would go down memory lane to see if Syracuse EVER had players drop down to that level. And guys that played a lot more than Carey did at Syracuse. Here is a list.
1. Ed Gooding. Before your time. He left right away to JB's shock. He wouldn't wait. Transferred to Iona. Didn't do anything there.
2. John Karpis. Boston University.
3. Sam Spann. Fairfield. A favorite of old late friend Igor.
4. Deshaun Williams a star at Syracuse. A star at Iona
5. Louis McCroskey Marist
6. Ron Patterson iupui
7. Sy Torrence Binghamton
8. David Patrick Louisanna
9. James Theus Detroit
10. Deshante Riley Eastern Michigan
With the sole exception of Ed Gooding, all of these guys played more than Carey did with us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom