Class of 2019 - PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two picks for Providence today on that website we don't speak of. Consider me a tad concerned

I would say we should be in good shape here... but I have no clue.

Two picks for Providence today on that website we don't speak of. Consider me a tad concerned
i don't know the man but i've heard that ed cooley is an impressive presence one on one. akok at one point said what he wanted most from his college was a family atmosphere & cooley can probably sell that as well as anyone . . . . that being said, i remain confident in this one

i don't know the man but i've heard that ed cooley is an impressive presence one on one. akok at one point said what he wanted most from his college was a family atmosphere & cooley can probably sell that as well as anyone . . . . that being said, i remain confident in this one
I went to Fairfield when Cooley was coaching there and had a friend on the team who said his actual knowledge of coaching was pathetic. Once kids got to the school they didn't like him very much.

Yeah, I've always heard the same of Cooley as a fan of MAAC school.

I went to Fairfield when Cooley was coaching there and had a friend on the team who said his actual knowledge of coaching was pathetic. Once kids got to the school they didn't like him very much.

Yep. He has had talent at Providence and done next to nothing.

15331563712222868.gif

6'10", can block shots, hit threes, and do THIS... sign him up!

People are selling Cooley short. The guy can recruit and has a history of over performing even without talent. For a kid looking for a real family atmosphere he is tough to beat. My sister lives directly next door to him and from my perspective, the kids on his team love him.

People are selling Cooley short. The guy can recruit and has a history of over performing even without talent. For a kid looking for a real family atmosphere he is tough to beat. My sister lives directly next door to him and from my perspective, the kids on his team love him.

Overperforming without talent? Please give me an example. They had a top 2 point guard in college basketball for two seasons and went 46-23, 21-15 in the Big East (watered down version) and won exactly 1 NCAA Tournament game. Even at Fairfield when they had better talent than the majority of the league, they never won the tournament or went to an NCAA Tournament.

Overrated coach.

Overperforming without talent? Please give me an example. They had a top 2 point guard in college basketball for two seasons and went 46-23, 21-15 in the Big East (watered down version) and won exactly 1 NCAA Tournament game. Even at Fairfield when they had better talent than the majority of the league, they never won the tournament or went to an NCAA Tournament.

Overrated coach.

That’s better than any Providence coach in the past 30 years. It’s a hard school to win at.

Hopefully Akok Akok realizes that.

That’s better than any Providence coach in the past 30 years. It’s a hard school to win at.

Hopefully Akok Akok realizes that.

He can pull talent and that wins games - but he has underperformed for the talent he has had in my opinion.

Overrated coach.
They have made the NCAA tourney the last 5 years in a row, a pretty impressive feat for PC. Prior to that Providence made it 1 time in previous 10 years although I will concede part of it may be to the watered down Big East. They have been the lower seed in most of those games including 2 of them where they were up against a UNC buzz saw who went to the Final 4 one of the years and won it all the other. Yes, he has had some very good point guards but not much else surrounding them. The salient point I was trying to make is Cooley over performed vs. any previous PC coach in the last few decades and beyond and is a good recruiter. No question SU is a much more elite program but Cooley has shown to be a be a good recruiter and the ability to take a highly regarded high school player and make them first round draft picks (Dunn and Ledo) who went first round 5th and 13th respectively, higher than their high school rank.

You guys can spin this any way you want we lose to providence there is a serious problem with our recruiting
Exactly! Losing him to Duke Or Kentucky would hurt, but to Providence??? Not acceptable IF that happens.

Don't think you can draw a generalization about our recruiting because we lose a kid to a program that you might consider inferior. Lots of things factor into why a kid chooses a school.
No more excuses. Sanctions, Hop, JB, done lots of playing time to offer.
This staff should land a big and forward in their sleep. Time for these guys to close. No more bridesmaid baloney.

As long as we real in a top 20 recruiting class I won't complain about losing Akok (if that does happen). But piggybacking off of KCSU, there really aren't any excuses left for not being able to deliver a top class.

I've seen people say "we're back". I've seen people blame the recent recruiting woes on the sanctions. I've seen people deny that JB's age has any bearing on recruiting. IF those statements are true (especially with the vacancies after this season) then KCSU is right in a sense...this should be an easy sales pitch. Maybe we can't compete routinely with Kentucky or Duke, but we should still be able to land a top 20 class.

Recruiting now is s lot different than it was 10-20 years ago. We aren’t just gonna land the top kids just because we’re Syracuse, and we never really did that to begin with. If the kid went to Providence it would make since because he’s from the area it’s really not hard to draw a conclusion onto why he would go there. And BTW that Kris Dunn Ben Bentil team really underachieved.

I agree with you that recruiting is different than it was 20 years ago...

But...

We have people on this board that routinely post that we WILL get a top class. They blame recruiting woes on sanctions (which I'm sure didn't help). They boast that we're back. They deny that JB's age is a factor. They post they have confidence, and claim insider information. AND they rip anyone who suggests that they don't share the same confidence to shreds. I've seen it time and again.

Then when it appears that we may lose a recruit that we've been prioritizing, all the excuses come out. So let me repeat, I don't care if we get Akok or not if we still land an elite class.

What I'm saying is... they can't have it both ways. A top 20 class is absolutely within our standards at SU. I didn't say top 5. I'm not expecting us to compete with Kentucky or Duke, but I do expect our class to be better than that of Providence. I also expect it to be a in the upper echelon of the ACC.

Status
Not open for further replies.