Class of 2019 - PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn | Page 38 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Braswell may very well turn out to be a great player, but hyping the guy when he hasn't played a single game for Syracuse, on a day when we find out that two of our highly sought after recruits may go to UCONN comes across as rationalizing big time.

First year turn around in recruiting for Hurley and staff would really be impressive. And I hate saying that so hopefully it's all nonsense. We will know soon enough
Hurley can offer a lot this year. It's pretty easy to tell recruits "hey none of the guys on this teams are kids I recruited, if you come you will start from day 1 and play 35 minutes a game". That's not a pitch we can make to any of these kids, we just don't have that much PT to give out.

Braswell may very well turn out to be a great player, but hyping the guy when he hasn't played a single game for Syracuse, on a day when we find out that two of our highly sought after recruits may go to UCONN comes across as rationalizing big time.
I realize that's what it seems like but trust me that's not what I'm doing here. I'll be very disappointed if akok spurns us for uconn. But I got to watch braswell at the orange/white and while it's only a team scrimmage, this kid has all the goods to be very good for us and that's not blowing smoke. I was probably most impressed with him (and pascal) at the scrimmage.

What?

Akok hasn't played a game for UConn either.

Also, I'm not sure what thing is with Wahab. Yeah, we got an official but no one expected us to get him and people here overall were more excited about the Carrigan/JBA combo. Wahab was a Pitt lean forever.

Of the 2, Akok stings way more than Wahab. However, if we get Guerrier, then Akok becomes way less of an issue. I think we'd sign up for our 2019 wings to be Marek/Guerrier/Braswell/Hughes in a heartbeat.

Not hyping. Seen him in person. So have the others who have posted about him. If Rick Pitinos opinion along with others isn’t enough for you I don’t know what to tell you.

Every school misses on guys. If we get Girard and Guerrier we’ve hit 3 of our top targets with a lot of time left to recruit.

Hurley can offer a lot this year. It's pretty easy to tell recruits "hey none of the guys on this teams are kids I recruited, if you come you will start from day 1 and play 35 minutes a game". That's not a pitch we can make to any of these kids, we just don't have that much PT to give out.

Maybe we can't guarantee 35 minutes a game. But they play in a bad conference. Hurley has proven nothing. We play in the Dome, in the ACC with a HOF coach. We should EASILY beat UCONN in recruiting.

Braswell is going to be VERY good for us so that's one thing I'm happy about regardless of what happens with the other wings we are recruiting. He is going to be much better then any of us could hope for. Hes still more of a 3 where akok is a stretch 4 type. And Q is like a 2/3...so akok would of fit nice in our style of play.
Well Marek is techinically our 4 next year.

But I see what you're saying. Akok and Quincy are different positions, but with the zone it's less important to define someone as a 3 or a 4. Also Quincy right now is listed at 6'7 190lbs; if we get him in a few months and add some muscle between then and 2019, we may be looking at a 6'7 210lb freshman. Big enough to play the 3.

Maybe we can't guarantee 35 minutes a game. But they play in a bad conference. Hurley has proven nothing. We play in the Dome, in the ACC with a HOF coach. We should EASILY beat UCONN in recruiting.
I hear you and I do agree with you. But different things are important to different kids.

For instance - Quincy could go to Illinois and get 30 minutes by January. But if he chooses us it's because of JB and the ACC and the chance to win.

Akok may look at minutes as his priority - Bouknight and Gaffney both mentioned playing time when choosing UConn

What?

Akok hasn't played a game for UConn either.

Also, I'm not sure what thing is with Wahab. Yeah, we got an official but no one expected us to get him and people here overall were more excited about the Carrigan/JBA combo. Wahab was a Pitt lean forever.

Of the 2, Akok stings way more than Wahab. However, if we get Guerrier, then Akok becomes way less of an issue. I think we'd sign up for our 2019 wings to be Marek/Guerrier/Braswell/Hughes in a heartbeat.
This is exactly right...akok was probably the guy that "fits" our style of play best. Q Will be huge for us if we get him. Having him/marek/braswell/Hughes is a damn good lineup. We must land one of Q or AA even though they dont really play the same position. It seems like Dimon is on the back burner and he fits great with what we need to anchor our zone so hopefully that pans out. Some on here haven't been very big on wahab but supposedly the staff REALLY liked him so ? Now throw in the stew visit and who knows what the heck is going on...let's get JG3 tonight and Q shortly after and let's see if AA really does cancel his visit this weekend coming up...if he does come then we are still in it but according to a few decent posters over there, he isnt coming saturday.

Braswell could turn out to be a solid contributor for the program. Guerrier’s still massively important imo. Akok’s great as well but he seems to have motives more important to him than winning or the pros. Different pitch when it comes to family culture, educational/proffesional opportunities etc.

Not hyping. Seen him in person. So have the others who have posted about him. If Rick Pitinos opinion along with others isn’t enough for you I don’t know what to tell you.

Every school misses on guys. If we get Girard and Guerrier we’ve hit 3 of our top targets with a lot of time left to recruit.
I didn't say anything bad about Braswell. I said he might be a great player. But when the hyping starts on the day that we learn that two of our highly recruited guys may head to UCONN that it sounds a lot like rationalizing. Big difference. Guerrier doesn't play the same position as Akok, BTW.

This is a hot take that someone who’s followed recruiting for precisely five minutes would come up with.

I didn't say anything bad about Braswell. I said he might be a great player. But when the hyping starts on the day that we learn that two of our highly recruited guys may head to UCONN that it sounds a lot like rationalizing. Big difference. Guerrier doesn't play the same position as Akok, BTW.
Go read the Practice Report threads on the basketball board. There is a lot of Braswell hype from people who have seen the team; posts that were made days ago. We just found about Akok today

Guerrier is a forward in our system. Akok wants to play forward. I don’t know what else to tell you

This is a hot take that someone who’s followed recruiting for precisely five minutes would come up with.
I could write a novel on why Syracuse should not lose Akok AND Wahab to UCONN but didn't think it would be appreciated.

I could write a novel on why Syracuse should not lose Akok AND Wahab to UCONN but didn't think it would be appreciated.

Every fan views their own school with rosy glasses.

Akok looked at both schools objectively and thought UConn was the better fit. Maybe he got along with the guys on the team, maybe he wants to stay in Connecticut, maybe playing time was his priority, etc.

While from a high level view, the ACC/JB/Dome seems like it would give us an edge, not all recruits are the same. There was a recruit recently (forgot who it was) who literally said he didn't care about conference. Each kid is different

Guess we'll see if this is true pretty quickly View attachment 141614
I’ll say this, I don’t care how good a poster Bfieldhusky is, there is no way he knows at 12:30 on Sunday if A+ will go to Cuse next weekend or not. Whether he verbaled or not we’ve been recruiting him for a long time. Unless the Huskys hold him captive he could very well want to come check out a school he has a good relationship with. Insanity to think otherwise.

As much as I dislike uconn...and I do, I've never understood the downplaying of them as a program. Sure there conference isnt the ACC but I'm not even sure kids care about that as much as in the past. They have nice facilities, passionate new coach and staff that has worked hard on the recruting trail this year, fanbase and history. I'm not sure what motivates kids these days to choose one school over another but I think we overplay the conference thing and HOF coach. Now please dont come at me like I'm a uconn lover because I'm not. I am 100% all orange and always have been. This is just my honest opinion and I feel like uconn unfortunately might end up being a thorn in our side once again a few years down the road. And I dont enjoy saying this.

I see absoutely zero appeal going to Uconn over about 50 different schools. Weird move if true

Re-energized program (real or not) with a younger coach and a lot of history.

These kids grew up seeing Kemba Walker, they know about Uconn

Status
Not open for further replies.