Class of 2019 - PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn | Page 73 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t have any inside info on Akok, but I would think the big possible negative with Syracuse is playing time. He wants to play right away. How likely is that to happen at Syracuse?

I think we can safely assume Oshae is going pro after this season and will be playing in the NBA next year.

Let’s assume Marek will return. It isn’t a given but if he wants to play pro ball, he needs time to mature physically and time to expand his game, especially on offense. Pencil him in for 30 minutes a game.

With Carey, Goodine, Girard, Boeheim and Washington all playing guard (I don’t see Buddy getting time at forward except in emergencies), I see Hughes playing mostly at forward, just like this season. Part of the equation is, who else do we have at forward? I am thinking Hughes okays 25 minutes at forward and 5 minutes at shooting guard.

Let’s assume Quincy Guerrier announes for SU today. After playing on the team from January through March, he will be ready to hit the ground running next year and need playing time. Maybe 20 minutes at forward and 5 at shooting guard?

That leaves 5 minutes left at the forward position. If we do not get Akok, Hughes and Guerrier would probably take that time and Buddy and Girard would get more PT at SG.

But what if we get Isaiah Stewart? He is going to play 30 minutes. While he would definitely play a lot at center, I am pretty sure he wants to play at least some forward minutes.

If we get Guerrier, we could find time for Akok by playing Hughes and Guerrier more at SG. Marek could also play minutes at center, like he did last year and will again this season.

If we get Guerrier and Stewart, and Akok decides to come, it will be a fantastic team but also a major challenge to keep everyone happy with playing time.

At Pitt or UConn, the competition internally for playing time would just not be there. Maybe Akok is waiting to see what the playing time situation is at Syracuse before deciding? That is my guess. On the positive, it has to be a major plus when you are an immigrant struggling to live in a different culture and have a chance to have a teammate from your home country. That, along with playing for a HOF coach in the best league in the country, in front of the biggest and best fan base in the country, where you have a real chance to win a national championship.

I don’t have any inside info on Akok, but I would think the big possible negative with Syracuse is playing time. He wants to play right away. How likely is that to happen at Syracuse?

I think we can safely assume Oshae is going pro after this season and will be playing in the NBA next year.

Let’s assume Marek will return. It isn’t a given but if he wants to play pro ball, he needs time to mature physically and time to expand his game, especially on offense. Pencil him in for 30 minutes a game.

With Carey, Goodine, Girard, Boeheim and Washington all playing guard (I don’t see Buddy getting time at forward except in emergencies), I see Hughes playing mostly at forward, just like this season. Part of the equation is, who else do we have at forward? I am thinking Hughes okays 25 minutes at forward and 5 minutes at shooting guard.

Let’s assume Quincy Guerrier announes for SU today. After playing on the team from January through March, he will be ready to hit the ground running next year and need playing time. Maybe 20 minutes at forward and 5 at shooting guard?

That leaves 5 minutes left at the forward position. If we do not get Akok, Hughes and Guerrier would probably take that time and Buddy and Girard would get more PT at SG.

But what if we get Isaiah Stewart? He is going to play 30 minutes. While he would definitely play a lot at center, I am pretty sure he wants to play at least some forward minutes.

If we get Guerrier, we could find time for Akok by playing Hughes and Guerrier more at SG. Marek could also play minutes at center, like he did last year and will again this season.

If we get Guerrier and Stewart, and Akok decides to come, it will be a fantastic team but also a major challenge to keep everyone happy with playing time.

At Pitt or UConn, the competition internally for playing time would just not be there. Maybe Akok is waiting to see what the playing time situation is at Syracuse before deciding? That is my guess. On the positive, it has to be a major plus when you are an immigrant struggling to live in a different culture and have a chance to have a teammate from your home country. That, along with playing for a HOF coach in the best league in the country, in front of the biggest and best fan base in the country, where you have a real chance to win a national championship.

All your points are valid but don't account for AA forcing his minutes over others because he's that good. My next door neighbor is the head coach of a prominent HS basketball program and has been around and coached against AA many times. In his opinion, AA is the perfect fit for SU and is the real deal. Says upside is off the charts.

They’ve landed a couple top 100s but nothing like Akok. EC Matthews was really good especially ore injury and he developed good but still probably nowhere close.
The coach that brought EC Mathews to URI also offered Bowen a bag to come to Creighton (this was actually mentioned in the FBI trial). Also Hurley credited this coach (Preston Murphy) with help building URI through his recruiting.

Anyway, with Only Pitt and UConn in to see him before he leaves for a tournament, I think it’s oretty clear where we stand. The fact we didn’t send anyone doesn’t bode well for our chances

In most instances where JB has recruited a 5 star, the 5 star plays right away. I think Marek would have to have a great year this year to lead to big minutes next season over Akok. I think Marek will be a contributor, but I don't see him establishing the type of toehold on minutes that will be necessary to lead to 30 mpg the next season assuming Akok, QG, and Hughes are all on the roster. In fact that looks to me a bit like being recruited over.

In most instances where JB has recruited a 5 star, the 5 star plays right away. I think Marek would have to have a great year this year to lead to big minutes next season over Akok. I think Marek will be a contributor, but I don't see him establishing the type of toehold on minutes that will be necessary to lead to 30 mpg the next season assuming Akok, QG, and Hughes are all on the roster. In fact that looks to me a bit like being recruited over.

I think Hughes flexibility offers us a ton of options, same with QG. Unless Hughes goes to the NBA he’ll have a major role next year. Hughes, Carey, QG and Goodine would be a great nucleus with guys like Buddy Braswell Marek and Sidibe being key role players.

If QG commits to us tonight, we will be fine without Akok next year (although he’d still be really nice to have). If we miss out on QG AND Akok, I’ll be concerned

I have stated it before that I like Akok Akok a lot and would definitely like him to play for Syracuse. That said, if Akok does not sign with Syracuse then it would just be an opportunity lost. I believe that GMAC has put in above the required amount and developed the relationship needed to land Akok. If that does not happen, then it is not meant to be.

If we do not end up with AKok Akok, then we could end up with Stewart (which many on the board would rather have) or Kockburn or Wahab or someone still to determined. I know that it is not an either or situation with Stewart and Akok and Syracuse could end up with neither. GMAC has busted his butt recruiting them both.

It is up to the individual recruit to decide. Whatever way their decisions roll, they roll. If it is disappointing, take it like it is a flu shot and accept the pain momentarily and move on to the next opportunity.

All your points are valid but don't account for AA forcing his minutes over others because he's that good. My next door neighbor is the head coach of a prominent HS basketball program and has been around and coached against AA many times. In his opinion, AA is the perfect fit for SU and is the real deal. Says upside is off the charts.
I agree with the part about potential but he is not someone like Stewart, who will be great from day one in college. He isn't physically ready, he has a lot of work to do addressing weaknesses in his game and I don't think he is ready mentally either.

I don't see him as a one and done. He might think he is but he has work to do on and off the court to get to the point where he is ready for the NBA. If he comes here, JB will find a way for him to get 20 or 25 minutes a game. IMHO, if he goes here, he is not going to play 38 minutes and score 20 points a game as a frosh. He might do that as a sophomore though...

Last edited:
I sincerely hope that if Akok goes to UConn people don't blame GMac, which a lot of fans seem to do reflexively. There is no good reason to pick UConn over Syracuse for the reasons we have discussed and are apparent and obvious to most. From the beginning it has sounded like his handlers/family have wanted him to stay in Connecticut. GMac, without knowing it, may have been fighting an uphill/unwinnable battle from the beginning.

The kid has kept things close to the vest so who knows what is really happening but there is no need to eat one of our own over this one. Hopefully we get QG tonight.

I sincerely hope that if Akok goes to UConn people don't blame GMac, which a lot of fans seem to do reflexively. There is no good reason to pick UConn over Syracuse for the reasons we have discussed and are apparent and obvious to most. From the beginning it has sounded like his handlers/family have wanted him to stay in Connecticut. GMac, without knowing it, may have been fighting an uphill/unwinnable battle from the beginning.

The kid has kept things close to the vest so who knows what is really happening but there is no need to eat one of our own over this one. Hopefully we get QG tonight.
I wouldn't blame GMac, but the dude could use a win like Akok. His results on the recruiting trail are lackluster. Getting a highly rated guy like Akok where he wasn't a lock recruit would be a big win.

Nuff said

We're usually on the same page, but I think you are selling Marek's capabilities FAR short.

Especially as he shows more growth / development in his skill set.

Will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

I agree with the part about potential but he is not someone like Stewart, who will be great from one day in college. He isn't physically ready, he has a lot of work to do addressing weaknesses in his game and I don't think he is ready mentally either.

I don't see him as a one and done. He might think he is but he has work to do on and off the court to get to the point where he is ready for the NBA. If he comes here, JB will find a way for him to get 20 or 25 minutes a game. IMHO, if he goes here, he is not going to play 38 minutes and score 20 points a game as a frosh. He might do that as a sophomore though...
i think that is the plan & i believe it was made clear to him
hopefully, like jgiii, he looks at the numbers and sees it as a challenge

I just want to clarify: taking into account everything you highlighted - if we don't get Akok, we're still going scorched earth on Gerry right? I mean it seems obvious that we'll absolutely eviscerate the guy, but I just want to make sure we're all on the same page.

Well said. This feels like we are fighting against many state wide interests that know they will be "rewarded," if they can deliver their prized player to the state school. GMAC should not be faulted here. That said, the kid is perfect for our system and will certainly show better at cuse. I wish his handlers were more interested in his well-being than theirs.

I just want to clarify: taking into account everything you highlighted - if we don't get Akok, we're still going scorched earth on Gerry right? I mean it seems obvious that we'll absolutely eviscerate the guy, but I just want to make sure we're all on the same page.

I mean if anyone does they should be banned forever. He's the reason we have 2 of our current recruits.

Mike Hopkins couldn't have signed Akok either.

I am sure some will but if you understand the recruiting game, you gotta know how important early playing time is to many recruits.

Bad programs are going to be able to offer more playing time early. There is little anyone can do about it, except maybe focus more on recruits who are not afraid of competition and have great confidence in themselves.

I am sure some will but if you understand the recruiting game, you gotta know how important early playing time is to many recruits.

Bad programs are going to be able to offer more playing time early. There is little anyone can do about it, except maybe focus more on recruits who are not afraid of competition and have great confidence in themselves.
Unless you’re Duke and you get 3 five star recruits and 2 of them at the same position.

It is clear to me that Akok is struggling with the decision. That is a credit to Gerry in and of itself because you could look at the factors that were laid out by tomcat and see there is an uphill battle to get a kid to take the tougher road and come to Syracuse. Of course, we'll get the parade of "who cares, he can't close" BS from the genius crowd though.

Status
Not open for further replies.