Class of 2018 - PF/C Osun Osunniyi (CT) to St. Bonaventure | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PF/C Osun Osunniyi (CT) to St. Bonaventure

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's Gtown's bigs situation for next year? Do they have an immediate need?

What's Gtown's bigs situation for next year? Do they have an immediate need?
Georgetown’s Jessie Govan will test the NBA draft waters Dated 4/11/18
"Days after Marcus Derrickson announced he was leaving the Georgetown men’s basketball team after three season to enter the NBA draft, the other half of the Hoyas’ fearsome frontcourt duo followed suit.
But unlike Derrickson, Jessie Govan announced in an Instagram post, writing Wednesday that he will declare for the draft without hiring an agent, meaning the center will still have the option to return to Georgetown for his senior season. Derrickson said he will hire an agent".

Clearly that wasn't the case.
I've seen no evidence of tampering, but the fact that OO is visiting Gtown does not preclude the possibility.

Ewing will make the pitch that he’ll be taught by a former NBA center and that he can start as a sophomore after Govan leaves.

This isn’t rocket science.

This is going to come down to where the kid feels most comfortable.

Impossible to know which criteria [i.e,. elite education vs. playing for the best program vs. quickest path to playing time, vs. playing for a HOF head coach vs. playing for a HOF player who plays the same position he will, vs. playing in an elite conference, etc.] are most important to him.

I wouldn't think the tutelage of Ewing is as strong of a factor as it would have been in past decades. Just not the same way the game is played anymore.

This is going to come down to where the kid feels most comfortable.

Impossible to know which criteria [i.e,. elite education vs. playing for the best program vs. quickest path to playing time, vs. playing for a HOF head coach vs. playing for a HOF player who plays the same position he will, vs. playing in an elite conference, etc.] are most important to him.
Man, that's a lot of VS.

I wouldn't think the tutelage of Ewing is as strong of a factor as it would have been in past decades. Just not the same way the game is played anymore.
He's one of the all-time greats. It matters.

He's one of the all-time greats. It matters.

I'm not saying it doesn't matter, I'm just commenting that it's probably not as big of a factor as it once might have been with the game being what it is today. Ewing shot 15% on 125 3PA in his career. Very few of the top 10-20 centers in the NBA had fewer than 125 3PA this year alone.

I'm not saying it doesn't matter, I'm just commenting that it's probably not as big of a factor as it once might have been with the game being what it is today. Ewing shot 15% on 125 3PA in his career. Very few of the top 10-20 centers in the NBA had fewer than 125 3PA this year alone.
Osun didn't attempt a three-point shot last season. Why do you think he's interested in Georgetown?

I would guess this is about 50-50 at this point. No reason he couldn't pick us.

I would guess this is about 50-50 at this point. No reason he couldn't pick us.
Things are supposed to follow a sequence. He spent two days with us last week. Instead of committing over the weekend, we hear he is visiting GTown, who was not even in the mix last week. If he had a great visit and loved us he should have committed over the weekend.

This is an ominous sequence to me.

Things are supposed to follow a sequence. He spent two days with us last week. Instead of committing over the weekend, we hear he is visiting GTown, who was not even in the mix last week. If he had a great visit and loved us he should have committed over the weekend.

Ominous, yes - but there have been instances where players have committed to Syracuse after taking official visits to other schools after Syracuse.

Not 100% sure but I think gtown has been in the mix since he decomitted like us. His recruitment isn't getting a ton of publicity and has been real quiet for the most part but I wouldn't be shocked if these visits have been planned and hes just going through the motions. Hopefully we are in the driver's seat still but kinda stinks we didnt get the last visit.

He was scheduled to visit GTown. I don't think it means much, either positive or negative, that he hasn't committed yet. After his release, he has had SU, GTown and Maryland, along with the Bonnies on him. Realistically, he likely had visits planned and is following through with that plan. Let's see where it goes from here. Still think we have a solid chance, unless he is sold on more immediate playing time with Ewing, which could be the case.

I think if a kid is already in the position where it’s May and he doesn’t have a school, he is much more likely to do a complete and thorough due diligence - e.g. go on all of his visits.

It’s going to come down to opportunity and relationships, not the order of the visits.

Not true -- Georgetown has been involved, they were one of the five or so teams listed with him once he got his release.

Hopefully this is just a due diligence trip on the "way" home.

Status
Not open for further replies.