Class of 2018 - PF/C Osun Osunniyi (CT) to St. Bonaventure | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PF/C Osun Osunniyi (CT) to St. Bonaventure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sort of look at Osun as a "stepping stone" recruitment, coming out of our sanction years. He's a good get, perhaps (along with Braswell) making this class as "good as it can be," but certainly not all we're hoping for going forward. We can, should and (I believe) will do better.

If you can believe the article written. Gmac discovered this kid. As soon as he was allowed by NCAA rules he offered him and set up the visit. The article stated that we wanted him on his own merit not because Baz went G league. The bottom line is we want this kid badly. Lets hope the staff can close him.

If you can believe the article written. Gmac discovered this kid. As soon as he was allowed by NCAA rules he offered him and set up the visit. The article stated that we wanted him on his own merit not because Baz went G league. The bottom line is we want this kid badly. Lets hope the staff can close him.
Badly? We want him. Let's not make it more than that.

If he goes to St Bonny, whatever. But there will be no reason staff cant get a top 50ish 19 center. I know their trying but ya gotta close

You make some excellent points in that post but if you look at the current team and whats on the horizon recruiting wise Osun actually would be an excellent pick up. Recruiting has been a bit up and down, clearly we still ahve gotten elite players ie Carey Bazley, and Goodine but we have also struggled to get top end big men (who hasn't besides Duke, Zona , KU an UK) and our recruiting has been a bit uneven when you look at the struggles with the sanctions. With Uconn now getting a coach with a pulse and other NE teams getting more active it would be nice to get a guy like Osun to have a backup plan if were unable to hit any of our big targets in 2019 as there is a ton of competition for those C/PF types. We all saw what happened last year when we our main targets chose elsewhere and we were force to scramble. Luckily we got Dolezaj but imagine if we hadn't.

Good points as well. Hopefully we have a legitimate chance with a guy like Stewart. Elite bigs do go elsewhere though. Shittu to Vanderbilt, Bamba to Texas, etc. There is only so much you can do, especially offensively, with too many projects on the roster.

I really don’t think that if we lose out on this kid that it means anything about our recruiting. We missed out on a kid we had to forge a quick relationship with. It’s hard to beat a lasting relationship with a coach he had already been committed to at another school. With that being said I want OO. He could be good but who knows we all know how the recruiting game works and maybe he’s nothing at all. We will survive without him but I is important to land him.

If that's the case we didn't do enough to sell him on our program.

You're assuming that a great sales job always results in a win. It doesn't. There is something called the human factor, maybe he just likes it better at SBU.

Nonsense. This kid is being hyped because he has the attributes to excel and be a quality starter in our system. No more, no less. He's not a mid major -- he's a kid who could be a multi-year starter, and has all the tools we look for in our bigs.

The thing that people seem to be overlooking is that he's free to choose wherever he'd like to go to school. There's no obligation on his part to pick the "best" offer or the "best" program relative to the others, even though that's the outcome many of us would like to see. Truth be told, there are compelling factors that could steer him toward any of the top three schools on his list -- it is entirely up to him which evaluative criteria he chooses to emphasize.

If you look at history, there is one name that is the definition of what you just outlined... Adonal Foyle.

You're assuming that a great sales job always results in a win. It doesn't. There is something called the human factor, maybe he just likes it better at SBU.
Agreed. Still most kids will commit to the staff they feel good about.

Agreed. Still most kids will commit to the staff they feel good about.

That’s part of the process and he might feel real good about his asst at Lasalle now being st St Bonnie over our 3 week flurry.

I'm not going to cry if we don't get Osun. I'd rather sign Akok and another one of these bigs from 2019 than he keep one of them away.

I believe, if we do our recruiting job well, he should like everything about Syracuse better than SB. If not, it wasn't " a great sales job."

According to the Bonnie's board they haven't hired the LaSalle coach? Curious why that has been thrown around so much if it hasn't happened? Or do their own fans completely suck and not know they hired him on as a coach?

I believe, if we do our recruiting job well, he should like everything about Syracuse better than SB. If not, it wasn't " a great sales job."

If I go to a car dealership looking for an economical everyday driver, you're not going to sell me an SUV.

If he wants to be an impact player at a small A10 school (enrollment 2,100), you can't twist his arm.

I'm not going to cry if we don't get Osun. I'd rather sign Akok and another one of these bigs from 2019 than he keep one of them away.
Totally agree, but would like to get him since "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". Not sure where we stand with 2019 big men but if we are in on a top 20 rated Center prospect, don't think Osun would scare them away. Especially if Osun has the potential down the road to play PF that provides some roster flexibility.

Totally agree, but would like to get him since "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". Not sure where we stand with 2019 big men but if we are in on a top 20 rated Center prospect, don't think Osun would scare them away. Especially if Osun has the potential down the road to play PF that provides some roster flexibility.

And that may be why he doesn't want to come here to get recruited over...

If I go to a car dealership looking for an economical everyday driver, you're not going to sell me an SUV.

If he wants to be an impact player at a small A10 school (enrollment 2,100), you can't twist his arm.
Osun visited Syracuse knowing full well what type of program we are. He visited Syracuse because we are a great place to play college basketball, with pedigree, a HOF coach, and the Carrier Dome. If he only desired a economy car (to use your analogy) he would've never visited the Cadillac dealership. IMO, we didn't close. It's just that simple.

Last edited:
Contrived? You’re assuming they might get hurt...before they do. You’re assuming they’ll get pulled before they do. No recruit is going to make their decision based on those kind of assumptions. If he’s a kid that wants to play right now and maybe even start, he’s going to look at our roster and say hmmmmm. If he wants to come in, probably work his way up the ladder, play in the best league in the country against the best players, play for a great staff and a HOF coach and play in front of large crowds, then he’ll come here.,
I'm not assuming anything. I'm looking at it from the perspective of the recruited player. If i'm Osun, i just saw the starter miss a year and then not be solid enough to be considered 'the guy.' I just saw the newcomer suffer from tendonitis, and even when he was playing, he wasn't at full capacity. And maybe i know tendonitis isn't a simple matter to deal with. And then, i've seen over the past three years that SU has 'had to' employ an 'emergency center' — putting a non-center at the 5 position, and not for strategic purposes. For that reason, i might be able to entertain the notion that i might be able to get some real, in-conference minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.