Class of 2018 - PF/C Osun Osunniyi (CT) to St. Bonaventure | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PF/C Osun Osunniyi (CT) to St. Bonaventure

Status
Not open for further replies.
In many cases, players want the best place to showcase their talents to pave their way to NBA. If this is his intention, Cuse appears to be the slam dunk. If he doesn’t have nba aspirations who knows.

Let’s discuss what “it is” since you seem to have a handle on the inner workings of SU recruiting. I have a few questions for you. Understand though that none of these questions are intended to take away anything from Autry or Griff, who I feel are both very good coaches and recruiters.

1. Why does it “seem” that Gmac is on so many more recruits than the other coaches?

2. Why does it “seem” like many of our high profile recruits, or at least ones discussed more here, are Gmacs recruits?

3. Why do we hear and/or talk about Gmacs recruits that don’t come here so much more than other recruits? Or are Autry and Griff almost 100% in commitments of their recruits?

4. Do you know how many years Gmac has been an on the road recruiter?

5. Once a coach identifies a player, gets JBs concurrence to recruit and offer and gets them on campus to visit, who’s responsible for laying out the teams plans for the recruit and sell them the program and “close”.

JB is stupid is not an answer.
I believe that recruits are assigned based on HS relationships .Red has obviously been on the trail longer than Gmac. Griff much less. Results are what they are. Gmac has not done well.

I don’t disagree with what you wrote at all. But as of now it looks like this was a level playing field since his release and we’ve been on him as long as the Bonnie’s have. It’s still a loss, and if he isn’t that great why are we even bothering and why all the hype before his release and after he got released?

It seems like all the downplaying on this kid seemed to start when he didn’t seem like a lock to the Cuse.

Ah, two3, at least you can always be trusted to stay true to your view of the world according to two3zone. I have to hand it too you, unlike many others, you are unwavering in your pessimism. Keep hanging on, JB will be gone in a few years.

Certainly, losing any player you are recruiting is a loss. And as you hint, why would you recruit someone you didn't want?

However, the world is not black and white. It is many shades of gray, and the shade of gray in this story is that the loss for SU would be the loss of a 3rd string center. It would be nice to have Osun. He could possibly be of some help next year, and certainly would in future years. It's possible that he could even surpass one or both of the centers on the team. Now that isn't likely to happen in his first year, as bigs tend to have slower evolutions at SU, than guards do. But, it's always possible, as almost everything is. But again, at this very moment, he would be behind both Chukwu & Sidibe. Why wouldn't he? He hasn't practiced with the team to prove that he is more than that.

Your smart two3. What I just wrote isn't anything you don't already know, but it's no fun to state that.

But what happens when you ask the question Why would a player not choose to be a 3rd string center for SU over a potential starter for St. Bonaventure? This isn't downplaying. This is reality. Anyone who states that isn't trying to justify possibly losing the player, they are just telling it as it is.

The most excitement about a recruit is usually when people first hear about them. Lots of hyperbole is thrown around. It's okay for fans to get excited about their team, and that's what you read, people expressing their excitement.

Osun would be a good addition to the team. I am very hopeful that he chooses SU. I think he can help and get some minutes this year, though I am more excited about his potential for the future. He would be a valuable addition to the roster. I will also be disappointed if he chooses any other program than SU (most especially GT!) But, it wouldn't be the end of the world if he didn't choose SU.

Quade hurt. Bazeley hurt. Osun would be disappointing. See the difference?

This is reality. This isn't the world coming to an end.

Taurean? I'd hardly classify that as a recruiting loss. He transferred out.

And the post I was referring to above suggested that this came in our "last three misses."
I was talking about Vlad Manuel.

I've just caught up reading all the posts since this morning. I think something needs to be stated again. I have not stated that if we lose Osun it is a huge loss (and I don't think the other's in this thread that support me have either). On the contrary, I said just the opposite. I said he's not a make it or break it recruit.

However, I did say (and so did others) that losing Osun (assuming we do) is unacceptable. A huge loss and an unacceptable loss are two entirely different statements.

Losing Bazely hurt, and was a huge loss. It was also acceptable as it was not the staff's fault.

Losing Osun (if we do) will not devastate the program. It is unacceptable IMO given that the competition is St Bonaventure AND when you consider the health status and foul propensity of our centers. A third center IMO should've been considered important.

That said, it's not losing Osun, per se, that's creating this buzz storm. It's that we should NOT be in this position right now. We did great landing Carey. Buddy (who I think will contribute) we landed because he's a Boeheim. Braswell is a great last minute addition in place of Bazely. The staff couldn't have come up with anyone better at such a late stage. Job well done with him.

This isn't, as I've been told, black and white. I love Syracuse, and I think by and large the staff do a good job. I do, however, stand by my stance that they could've done better at the Center position, and that losing Osun is unacceptable. I hope they have something else up their sleeve. I'll gladly eat crow if they do.

Losing a guy we’ve been recruiting for like :15 minutes would be “unacceptable”?

latest

Losing a guy we’ve been recruiting for like :15 minutes would be “unacceptable”?

latest
Dictionary synonyms for unacceptable include intolerable and undesirable. I think losing Osun is undesirable. If we didn't desire him, we wouldn't offer him. I think it's also intolerable given the circumstances I outline above. But feel free to post cool pics if you enjoy it.

I believe that recruits are assigned based on HS relationships .Red has obviously been on the trail longer than Gmac. Griff much less. Results are what they are. Gmac has not done well.

good non answer and just your opinion.

Holy lord this thread needs to put it’s head in the freezer and just chill out for a while.
I agree. This buzz storm could've and should've been done in one page. But some folks like to pound and pound on those that think differently. I guess it's usually successful with others.

If we don’t stop recruiting he would have already signed with cuse before duke ever came calling!!!
I dunno — did we stop recruiting Quade Green? There are a few schools that can swoop in no matter what kind of effort we put forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.