Class of 2018 - PF/C Valdir Manuel (NJ) Flipped from Seton Hall to St Josephs to JUCO to St Johns to ... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PF/C Valdir Manuel (NJ) Flipped from Seton Hall to St Josephs to JUCO to St Johns to ...

Call Valdir Manuel EJ? I'm not sure about that, to be honest

I've been planning on calling him Vald the Impaler.

Nice. Maybe he can reward you by living up to you expectations with a personal demonstration. ;)

I wouldnt mind being in the chain of succession to carry on your tradition, in case such a meeting happens(or with any players disenchanted or nonplussed with their new monikers).

I do want to say that "EJ" also could sooth fans who are displeased we missed out on the other big guy, who an alleged "insider" supposedly said, "fell into our lap".

Or something about a transmission might work too. I'm taking your title seriously man, trying to push you to be the best OIG that you can be! No time for basking in the shadow of yesterday's triumphs, it's time to shine!

Last edited:
Stewart is 2019. Manuel is 2018. Unrelated.
Don't they play the same spot. (Center). Plus Sidibe? Not sure any of them are 4's, but maybe that's how Jimmy is recruiting one if them.

Last edited:
Nice. Maybe he can reward you by living up to you expectations with a personal demonstration. ;)

I wouldnt mind being in the chain of succession to carry on your tradition, in case such a meeting happens(or with any players disenchanted or nonplussed with their new monikers).

I do want to say that "EJ" also could sooth fans who are displeased we missed out on the other big guy, who an alleged "insider" supposedly said, "fell into our lap".

Or something about a transmission might work too. I'm taking your title seriously man, trying to push you to be the best OIG that you can be! No time for basking in the shadow of yesterday's triumphs, it's time to shine!
As a Bills fan, I do not want to refer to someone as "EJ Manuel"; that's cringe-worthy to me. Too many bad memories.

As a Bills fan, I do not want to refer to someone as "EJ Manuel"; that's cringe-worthy to me. Too many bad memories.

I hear you, but he was mismanaged. He did lead the 2nd greatest Bills comeback of all time, only to have the defense and a phantom PI call on Robey squander it. The wet rubber mat and his early trial by fire got his career off on the wrong foot. I think EJ Jr could erase the troubling memories and bring peace(maybe even to the Middle East), especially now that The Curse(tm) is over.

Good for us id imagine? Anyone know Illinois situation and if this helps us out with valdir?

Watching another game now. Disappointed to see he was only averaging less than 3.5 RPG at the time. I wasn't too impressed with his rebounding in the last game. The game I'm watching is the semifinal to get into the game I watched the last time.

Roselle Catholic's semifinal is on next.

Last edited:
Watching another game now. Disappointed to see he was only averaging less than 3.5 RPG at the time. I wasn't too impressed with his rebounding in the last game. The game I'm watching is the semifinal to het into the game I watched the last time.

Roselle Catholic's semifinal is on next.
Crud. Can anyone think of a player that learned to be a great rebounder after he got to college? It seems to me that there is an instinct and a level of aggression required that can’t be taught.

Crud. Can anyone think of a player that learned to be a great rebounder after he got to college? It seems to me that there is an instinct and a level of aggression required that can’t be taught.

He wound up with 27 and 13 in this game. I was shocked at his rebounding total. You know how you watch a guy and say, wow, that was a quiet 20 points? Same thing here with his rebounding, I was not impressed with his rebounding, even with the gaudy stats. Most of them were not tough rebounds. I know that sounds ridiculous but a bunch just kind of fell to him. Much more impressed with his offense and post moves.

Even more worrisome is our beloved JB has said in the past...you don’t really box out per say in zone defense...you just kind of have to go get it.

Even more worrisome is our beloved JB has said in the past...you don’t really box out per say in zone defense...you just kind of have to go get it.
And in this game his defense once again did not stand out.

And in this game his defense once again did not stand out.
Is it the typical AAU style defense that seems to have taken over at times, or do you think he just flat out isn’t a good defender/rebounder?

Is it the typical AAU style defense that seems to have taken over at times, or do you think he just flat out isn’t a good defender/rebounder?

Not sure but he didn’t look too engaged. Also, didn’t look like he moved his feet or had natural defensive/ rebounding instincts.

So, just gonna come out and ask this... based on the writeups, offer list and ranking, is this guy a desperation offer to get a big body or actually something to be hopeful about?

To me - desperation offer

He has good hands, has a post game and can shoot 3's, can get up and down the court (slowly), does not jump well, not a defensive presence, we need a big and he is basically the best available, he does get points and boards in bunches, I have not seen enough to say we should take him or not, to me from what i have seen, Bourama healthy is MUCH better than Vlad. If we could combine (into 1 person) VLAD on offense and Chu on defense that would make for a solid center, CHU actually does a nice job around the rim, i think if he was playing 24 minutes a game vs. 35 he would be much more effective.
So, i have mixed feelings about his potential.

So, just gonna come out and ask this... based on the writeups, offer list and ranking, is this guy a desperation offer to get a big body or actually something to be hopeful about?

Can't answer but keep in mind we are only one scholarship short next year then back to full strength. Gives us the luxury of having a four year guy that is worst case a big body for practice and best case a project that might develop into a meaningful contributor in his junior and senior years. That's a luxury we couldn't afford when we were two or three players short.

To me - desperation offer

He has good hands, has a post game and can shoot 3's, can get up and down the court (slowly), does not jump well, not a defensive presence, we need a big and he is basically the best available, he does get points and boards in bunches, I have not seen enough to say we should take him or not, to me from what i have seen, Bourama healthy is MUCH better than Vlad. If we could combine (into 1 person) VLAD on offense and Chu on defense that would make for a solid center, CHU actually does a nice job around the rim, i think if he was playing 24 minutes a game vs. 35 he would be much more effective.
So, i have mixed feelings about his potential.

Disagree. This is a kid with a quality skill set.

Not all bigs are skywalking pogo sticks. And while we might pursue a certain profile / archetype of player ideally, that doesn't mean that other types of players can't man a position effectively. Rick wasn't our typical big. Neither was Arinze or Otis Hill. Chukwu certainly is defensively, but the trade off is limited offensive capabilities [ditto BMK, Watkins, and Fab].

Agree 100% that Sidibe has more upside, and actually looks [when healthy] like an NBA caliber prospect. I also don't dispute that Sidibe is a better fit for the 5 in our system. BUT the lack of depth is glaring, and it would be nice to fill the roster with some four year players -- especially bigs who can put the ball in the basket.

This is far from a desperation move. Majur Majok would have been a desperation move.

Disagree. This is a kid with a quality skill set.

Not all bigs are skywalking pogo sticks. And while we might pursue a certain profile / archetype of player ideally, that doesn't mean that other types of players can't man a position effectively. Rick wasn't our typical big. Neither was Arinze or Otis Hill. Chukwu certainly is defensively, but the trade off is limited offensive capabilities [ditto BMK, Watkins, and Fab].

Agree 100% that Sidibe has more upside, and actually looks [when healthy] like an NBA caliber prospect. I also don't dispute that Sidibe is a better fit for the 5 in our system. BUT the lack of depth is glaring, and it would be nice to fill the roster with some four year players -- especially bigs who can put the ball in the basket.

This is far from a desperation move. Majur Majok would have been a desperation move.

It also depends who else is on the floor.

If you have four other scorers then you could afford the luxury of a D only center. If you play somebody like Marek who is a limited O threat (at least so far) then you need a five with some O. A lot of times it is a mix and match to find guys who can complement each other.

Personally, I really like the strong types like Rick, Arinze, & Otis who can command space, can bull their way to the hoop, and still have a bit of touch out to 15'. As long as they can position themselves correctly on D they don't have to be skywalkers to be effective.

It would be great to grab this kid and have him develop behind Sidibe and Chukwu for a year and have to guard tough forwards, including Brissett and Bazley, in practice. When he is not forced to play tons of minutes as a freshman, he is going to be able to develop into a mature AO or Rick at a quicker pace and catch onto his role in the zone quicker.

His name is Valdir, not Vladir. Vlad is a cool nickname but it doesn't make a lot of sense.

This is not a desperation move. Kid is up to 4 stars. He's not polished but he's not a project. I've now watched him closely twice in games. Guys with his post moves and ability to step out and make deep shots at his size do not grow on trees. He'd be tremendous insurance for next year and a developmental guy who can make an impact. If need be, he could give quality minutes next season.

His name is Valdir, not Vladir. Vlad is a cool nickname but it doesn't make a lot of sense.

This is not a desperation move. Kid is up to 4 stars. He's not polished but he's not a project. I've now watched him closely twice in games. Guys with his post moves and ability to step out and make deep shots at his size do not grow on trees. He'd be tremendous insurance for next year and a developmental guy who can make an impact. If need be, he could give quality minutes next season.
I think OttoinGrotto already coined "Vald the Impaler". Once OiG gives a nickname, that's it... for life. Just ask Thickburger.

that's fair feedback, i take back the "desperation" comment and i understand and totally agree we need depth, BUT

we have struggled big-time with big men that need work, example the young man who played w/ Bryant in Rochester

Immoni, u seem to be all over the HS games, did you watch 2018 National Prep Championship Putnam Science vs. NMH 3-8-18?
What do you think of #34 on PS? again i only watch this 1 game, but WOW was he good.

Rankings and Stars after the top 25 kids is a guessing game, maybe after top 15, if you look at the top 100 kids from 2010 to 2017, very few players made a big impact.

re Vlad vs. Vladir, are you telling me just as an FYI or? Why else would i have made a typo? The staff likes VLADIR , they want him and it has no impact on recruiting for 19, we need 2 big men out of 18 and 19 minimum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom