Class of 2023 - PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time lurker, first time poster. Take it with a grain of salt, but a family friend of mine works in the athletic department at Iowa. She's saying the coaches walked away very confident in where things stood and the family told Fran that they're likely to make a decision very soon after the Syracuse visit as they don't feel like they are being prioritized by Kansas or Gonzaga in the same way that the teams that have been in a while have made it clear JP is the priority. That's the same reason they cancelled on Duke--he felt like he was second fiddle to their other recruits and were upset when Scheyer didn't bother to come to Chicago to watch him the final weekend.
Hopefully JB and crew knock it out of the park this weekend and close this thing.

I read this afternoon that he had a good visit and Iowa City opened up his eyes. Players treated him great and it’s not all corn fields like he pictured. SU knows what they have to do. Get it done!!!!!
Well of course it’s not all cornfields! There are plenty of open pastures for the cows and pigs (which outnumber citizens 8 to 1)

Long time lurker, first time poster. Take it with a grain of salt, but a family friend of mine works in the athletic department at Iowa. She's saying the coaches walked away very confident in where things stood and the family told Fran that they're likely to make a decision very soon after the Syracuse visit as they don't feel like they are being prioritized by Kansas or Gonzaga in the same way that the teams that have been in a while have made it clear JP is the priority. That's the same reason they cancelled on Duke--he felt like he was second fiddle to their other recruits and were upset when Scheyer didn't bother to come to Chicago to watch him the final weekend.
Hopefully JB and crew knock it out of the park this weekend and close this thing.
Thanks for the info.

Personally, I feel like a coaching staff should almost always feel confident after hosting a player for an official visit. If you don't, you probably didn't put your best foot forward.

Now it's our turn.

Thanks for the info.

Personally, I feel like a coaching staff should almost always feel confident after hosting a player for an official visit. If you don't, you probably didn't put your best foot forward.

Now it's our turn.
I felt pretty good about Estrella after he canceled his Duke visit, but I'm worried he might be leaning Iowa now. It seems like the Cuse visit will have to be a homerun to land him. And that's very possible, so I'm still very hopeful.

Estrella and Ducharme are teaming up at Brewster for their Senior season. It be would be awesome for them if they both commit to Cuse and have a year together -- just like JT and Q. Estrella is slated to make a choice before the season, so I'm not sure how much this factors in. If for some reason they delay their selection, them becoming friends and developing chemistry might help us land them.

I felt pretty good about Estrella after he canceled his Duke visit, but I'm worried he might be leaning Iowa now. It seems like the Cuse visit will have to be a homerun to land him. And that's very possible, so I'm still very hopeful.

Maybe. But I wouldn't get too worked up about hearing that his visit went well. They usually all do.

Doesn't mean that he isn't "leaning" Iowa, or somewhere else, but when a kid comes off of a visit to one of his finalists and says that it didn't go well, it's pretty unusual.

Hoping that having the final visit, and the "recency" effect works in our favor. As well as relative proximity to home.

0041165D-BD86-4F9D-8BEE-059155797D68.jpeg

That simplifies it

Estrella and Ducharme are teaming up at Brewster for their Senior season. It be would be awesome for them if they both commit to Cuse and have a year together -- just like JT and Q. Estrella is slated to make a choice before the season, so I'm not sure how much this factors in. If for some reason they delay their selection, them becoming friends and developing chemistry might help us land them.
Iowa's also recruiting some other Brewster guys FWIW. I believe they have a visit lined up with Carey Booth who's playing there this year. They seem to have a new connection with Brewster as their new PG went to Brewster as well as another player on their roster.

If a visit doesnt have to be a home run to land a recruit then we likely dont want the recruit.

How are Iowa’s facilities compared to ours?

If a visit doesnt have to be a home run to land a recruit then we likely dont want the recruit.

How are Iowa’s facilities compared to ours?
Full disclosure - I've mentioned before my dad went to Iowa, so I cheer for them also, but SU is always my primary team. But I know quite a bit about both programs.

Iowa upgraded Carver Hawkeye Arena in 2011 with a new practice facility

They also have an NIL collective, which may or may not be a factor in this recruitment.

Who knew there were so many Iowa fans that were closet cuse fans?
I live in Iowa City because of work. It seems like I am one of the few people in the area that isn’t a fan of the Hawkeyes. Same scenario when I lived in Gainesville Florida.

It will come down to trusting the staff and their plan for him. IMO, distance, not facilities, would be the tie breaker.
Sure. Access to playing time is always a game changer. You wouldn't think it would work against us at the 4/5 but some kids are funny. I'm happy for Fran that he is getting good recruits, but it shouldn't be at our expense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom