Class of 2022 - PF Kyle Filipowski (MA) Offered | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PF Kyle Filipowski (MA) Offered

You guys are just so negative. A really good player has got a lot of really good offers. Surprise. We are right there with Flip. Maybe we get him. Maybe we don't. but a lot of other good schools aren't going to get him. He can only go to one. And he will play anywhere he goes because he is good. This isn't Tape or Jordan.
We never got a big recruit until Pearl, then we got DC, Stevie ,
Duncan, Hughes, Roe, and a 6-11 center who hardley played in 4 years in the same class. Unfortunately Duncan, and Hughes transferred to Rutgers, and got the in the tournament for 1st time in 20 years. We had a number of transfer back then, Brown, Rodney Walker who transferred mid-season the year we lost to Indiana. He was highly recruited.

Duncan, Hughes, Roe, and a 6-11 center who hardley played in 4 years in the same class. Unfortunately Duncan, and Hughes transferred to Rutgers, and got the in the tournament for 1st time in 20 years. We had a number of transfer back then, Brown, Rodney Walker who transferred mid-season the year we lost to Indiana. He was highly recruited.
You skipped Michael Brown who was a first team hs all american. He was the year after Pearl.

Dave Bing? Roosevelt Buie?

He’s a stud no doubt. But I think it’s more of a guarantee that he’s a consistent starter here. I think it’s less reflective on the talent of Flip and more of how much talent Duke acquires each year.
Exactly. Duke has a great brand and big fan base. But Scheyer is completely green as a head coach. JB is vastly more experienced and has a demonstrable, successful track record as a head coach across many different eras, both as a consistent winner and getting guys into the NBA. Honestly, choosing Duke after K departs is something of a risk for these kids. They don’t know what they’re getting with Scheyer since he has zero track record.

I hope I’m so wrong, but this kid has Dook written all over him.
He would end up legendary in Orange !

Meh, don't really buy it. I believe what showcases the quality of a coaching staff is how many kids not highly touted going into college go on to the NBA. That shows coaching ability in developing your players, not just riding your 5 star kids who probably could have skipped college altogether. I'm not suggesting K isn't/wasn't a great coach, just don't buy that he gets them to the nba like what calipari claims. The kids get themselves there for the most part. Now, if you want to talk about how well these two coaches recruit (along with their boosters), then that's fine - they're great at that no question.

I have made a post like this a million times, but I sometimes think this downplays some of what K and Cal do.

Devin Booker is my go to example, for whatever reason. He's an NBA star, he was (relatively) highly rated coming out of HS, so it's probably easy to bucket him in the group of "this guy was going to be a star in the NBA no matter where he went to college". Well, in the 2014 RSCI rankings, he was ranked 23rd. Good, but by no means elite, or at a level that screams obvious NBA star. Chris McCullough (among others), who I don't believe is an NBA star, was ranked a few spots ahead of him. I'm obviously not saying Cal is the only reason Booker is a star or anything, but it isn't like being the 23rd ranked player in your HS class makes you preordained to be an nba star, or even a lotto pick.

Tyler Herro (who had a down season this year, to be sure) was 35th coming out of HS, played one year at UK, and was a lotto pick.

Jamal Murray was 71st, but that's a little different, he was Canadian so not ranked by all the services. But even so, Scout had him 12th, behind, among others Henry Ellenson, Stephen Zimmerman, Diamond Stone, and Malik Newman. In hindsight it appears obvious all these guys would be lotto picks, but not sure you can say that at the time.

Pearl Washington says hello.
Pearl was rated down the list. He had the most hype. he declared with Al McGuire on national tv. But he wasn't top 2.

Was Mourning on that cover? I remember just Billy.
Just billy on the SI cover, Billy and Mourning together on The Sporting News cover.
s-l1600.jpg

mourning-and-owensjpg-ce159cfd5dee49d1.jpg

Just billy on the SI cover, Billy and Mourning together on The Sporting News cover.
View attachment 203184

View attachment 203185
The SI cover is from a couple of years earlier than the TSN cover. The story at the time was SI wanted Mourning too, but Thompson said no. In line with his policy to "protect" his freshmen. I don't think he made frosh available to the press at all.

No. He wasn't. He was the most hyped player as I just wrote. He declared on national tv which is why many think he was the #1 recruit.
I think he made the front page of the NY Times when he announced. It was significant.

He did it to Al McGuire on national tv. It was a big, big, deal. But he wasn't rated #1 or #2.
It was 1982, right. Benoit Benjamin was #1.
Also, we should have had Marcus Liberty and Kenny Anderson. The number one players in the classes of 1987 and 1989. Those great teams would have been unbeatable.

No. He wasn't. He was the most hyped player as I just wrote. He declared on national tv which is why many think he was the #1 recruit.
From the NewYorkGauchos.org..."He was a playground phenomenon from Boys and Girls High School in Brooklyn, and was the number 1 overall ranked high school player in 1983. He brought his flashy play to Syracuse University and the Carrier Dome."

Also..."Washington was rated No. 1 in the country for the high school class of 1983, according to HoopScoop. He was ranked higher than players such as Kenny Smith and Reggie Miller. Washington wound up staying in his home state and player for Syracuse University."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom