Taurean Thompson | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

Taurean Thompson

I might be undervaluing Gillon. He should have an easier time not being the lead dog like he was last year for his team.

It's just a frustrating situation because we are stuck in this middle ground and we will most likely still be in the same spot at the end of next year when Battle and Lydon most likely bolt.

We need Roberson and Howard to improve a lot if we are going to be any kind of good.

I look at it similar to this year - we won't be at the top of the ACC, but we'll be up there and definitely have the potential to make a late season run in the tourney. I like the idea of having 3 senior starters complemented by two very talented young guys in Battle and Lydon. Plus Chukwu has potential to be a huge difference maker on defense.

CiQpFQzWEAETI7o.jpg

Mike Waters ‏@MikeWatersSYR 23m23 minutes ago
Mike Waters Retweeted Jason Smith

It's Taurean Thompson's birthday. Syracuse, Seton Hall and Mich St all still waiting to see who gets the present.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Gillon be a ~15 ppg scorer for us, without having to be the top dog.

If mali goes, I'd expect Lydon, Battle, and Gillon to be double digit scorers. Roberson could certainly achieve that, as well. He averaged about 8ppg this year. If he takes it up a notch as a senior, 13 or more isn't out of the question.

I don't see consistent scoring coming from Howard, Coleman, or Chukwu. But if one or more of them can provide it--disco.

Even without Mali, the nucleus is there for this to be a very good team--but there are a lot of question marks. With Mali, they would have a lot fewer question marks, and another dangerous scorer.

With Mali, the team is loaded and would be awesome to watch.

But that's just the beauty of it. We made the final four and we are like a revolving door every year it seems. The price you pay for greatness! I will take a FF and loss of a Mali-type stud every single year. Same thing could happen this year and next. I love it. We shocked the world. Even ourselves. ;)

I don't disagree, but if we want to compete for the Natty we need to be better than we were this year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Gillon be a ~15 ppg scorer for us, without having to be the top dog.

If mali goes, I'd expect Lydon, Battle, and Gillon to be double digit scorers. Roberson could certainly achieve that, as well. He averaged about 8ppg this year. If he takes it up a notch as a senior, 13 or more isn't out of the question.

I don't see consistent scoring coming from Howard, Coleman, or Chukwu. But if one or more of them can provide it--disco.

Even without Mali, the nucleus is there for this to be a very good team--but there are a lot of question marks. With Mali, they would have a lot fewer question marks, and another dangerous scorer.

If Gillon scores 15 a game we will be an elite team. I'm not counting on him for that.

It would be nice to have a chance to beat some of our rivals like Louisville, UNC, and Virginia for a change.

We made the final four and we are like a revolving door every year it seems. The price you pay for greatness!.

Greatness is stretching the truth quite a bit. Flashback to the mood around here after the Pitt loss. This was a team that was trying to play its way out of the tournament. They were fortunate the selection committee's top criteria this year favored their resume. Basically, you can lose a ton of games as long as you beat a couple pretty good teams on the road.

I'm not satisfied with the overall picture. Thank god for the FF as it completely changed everyone's perspective on the season. But I want to get back to dominance or at least top 25 wire-to-wire, and it seems like the staff is still trying to figure out how to manage roster volatility.

With Mali, the team is loaded and would be awesome to watch.
Can we stop with the "coulda, woulda"? It's a pointless fantasy now and just becomes a painful reminder of what we don't have. Best to focus on what we do have or what fish we can still reel in for next year.

But that's just the beauty of it. We made the final four and we are like a revolving door every year it seems. The price you pay for greatness! I will take a FF and loss of a Mali-type stud every single year. Same thing could happen this year and next. I love it. We shocked the world. Even ourselves. ;)

The team wasn't close to "great" last year. We had a great run. We shocked the world, as you said. Now, we are not sure what we are going to have next year. Way too many question marks, including the returning players. It's a weird sort of thing, but as you said, can't argue with the ultimate results.

What are the odds TT announces by July 4? Even money?

Quick, someone find Miss Cleo and ask her. She might be the only one courageous enough to delve into the bowels of Mama Thompson's mind.

reedny said:
Here is the scoring situation. Likely returning players are in red (25.4 ppg): G: 17.5 TC: 12.9 MR: 13.4 TL: 10.1 TR: 8.8 DC: 4.9 FH: 1.6 This means that, to get to at least 70 ppg (not stellar, but average of late), we'll need 44.6 ppg from some combination of increased scoring by the returning players or points from 3-4 incoming players brand new to the league. Makes you sit back in your seat.

If be interested to know if it's all that different than normal. Our upperclassmen are typically the highest scoring players.

If be interested to know if it's all that different than normal. Our upperclassmen are typically the highest scoring players.
That'd be Roberson, DC and Gillon. The rest are sophomores (the Python, Lydon and Howard) and freshmen (Battle, Moyer and ... ).

For S/G, I'll throw out an optimistic projection that gets us around 70 ppg:

Gillon/Howard - 15 ppg
Battle - 13-15
Lydon 15
Roberson/Moyer 15
Python/DC - 10-12

Last edited:
The team wasn't close to "great" last year. We had a great run. We shocked the world, as you said. Now, we are not sure what we are going to have next year. Way too many question marks, including the returning players. It's a weird sort of thing, but as you said, can't argue with the ultimate results.
Unreality this coming season has far fewer "?" than last year. we have a very good front court. Our back court could use another shooter who has success beyond the arc and maybe one more big man at the 5 although Coleman may be enough The concerns are that sufficient S&C work is accomplished on a few of the players Chukwu should replaying at 240lbs and Lydon needs another 20lbs of muscle mass Howard could stand to add a few lbs. I think that Roberson will be working hard on his offense to get a look from the pros Moyer and Battle will be more positives coming into the team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom