Class of 2019 - PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia | Page 97 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia

Red has plenty of time to build the program back. Especially after the amazing job he did last season. the guy inherited a dumpster fire and got us to 20 wins with a team of misfits and drama queens. He kept a lid on everything and pulled of a miracle. He is so far from the hot seat he needs a heater to stay warm. Don't you think that JW knows what a mess he was left with.

Why did it become a mess and a dumpster fire? Why? Were those kids like that the prior season? We never heard a peep about any of those kids and attitude, locker and off court issues. Nothing except Bennies one time. But not everyone else. And a contributing factor to the issues this year was injuries. Fact.

The problem is you don't rebuild by being too stingy, probably don't keep your job too long either. He needs players, relying on a freshman to be THE guy is risky, and if we don't pick up a guard on the level of Leffew and it was lost because you didn't overpay by a hundred grand or two then the team lost out.

Unfortunately overpaying is the name of the game, these are like one year baseball contracts without a salary cap or penalty. College basketball season doesnt have a minor league to develop for good teams, this is a buy it now to be relevant. We lost our main target to Georgia, that's not leading us anywhere good.
I agree to some extent but for the record we don't truly know if we lost him because of $, that is just being speculated. He may be getting less but closer to home, friends and family won out. I was just responding to pwong and his comments on "worth ". Coaches do have to consider budget and where they want larger investments to go. Again yeah maybe this guy was Reds first target but there is a value you slot for that, especially if you are potentially moving other dollars in other directions.

Why did it become a mess and a dumpster fire? Why? Were those kids like that the prior season? We never heard a peep about any of those kids and attitude, locker and off court issues. Nothing except Bennies one time. But not everyone else. And a contributing factor to the issues this year was injuries. Fact.
I want to be clear on what you are saying. Are you saying it wasn't a mess or a dumpster fire. Or are you saying it was and asking why was it since you think it wasn't under JB? Which one or is it something else?

I think we’re looking at 11 and 6 for Freeman. He’ll have some games with more, but also games with less. He’s a good rebounder, not great.

Red has plenty of time to build the program back. Especially after the amazing job he did last season. the guy inherited a dumpster fire and got us to 20 wins with a team of misfits and drama queens. He kept a lid on everything and pulled of a miracle. He is so far from the hot seat he needs a heater to stay warm. Don't you think that JW knows what a mess he was left with.
Still we need to see progress THIS season, which to me means NCAA tournament or bust.

We have a much more rounded roster this year. The good thing for where we are is we don’t necessarily need a volume scorer. Good defense, distributing and shooting. Easier said than done but with how many kids are in the portal there’s gotta be someone that fits the mold.

At this point "wasn't worth the money" isn't going to play. This is a starting position, if you're not willing to overpay for a dire need then what's the point of paying anyone. Freeman is gone after this year no matter what happens, whatever investment made into him is a waste if you don't have a complete team. We'd really blow a season over a couple hundred grand for a starting point guard? We play this game and Red will be gone sooner than later.

We don’t know what we don’t know. I’m not saying you are wrong just that I want to see where we land and who else we’ve got irons in the fire with.

Tough to compare basketball and football but I get what you're saying.

Money is driving the boat, if Red doesn't get the money lined up then that means the fans don't believe he will get the job done and he won't be here long.

You don't compete for ACC championships with a backcourt of Leffew and Starling let alone national ones.

Red needs money, its painfully obvious to see.
It’s funny how you cherry pick the back court concerns when we don’t even have the roster even close to established. Yet the front court we have the #6 player recruit in the country and a top center out of the portal but that’s just ignored.

It’s not as if we were rich and awesome recruiters 3 weeks ago putting together the front court and now we’re poor and crappy recruiters putting together the back court.

Lots of hindsight here. Expecting JJ to improve from freshman to sophomore year isn’t a huge leap and Westry got hurt. I was very excited by both and I wasn’t alone. Those were great adds given the info Red had at the time.
Dont forget JJ also played banged up with a bad shoulder his freshman year. Brey threw him to the wolves and that ND team was awful. He had a lot to learn when he got here.

I think it's fair to speculate a little, Laffew strung everyone along for more money. If that's the choice you make, then it's fair as fans to offer minor critique of how the process played out. I haven't seen anything too out of bounds. At this point, most will never know the whole story, but I think we can all speculate to a degree.
Did he really string people along when we all knew he was taking all these visits still? Not like he canceled them.

Someone got duped somewhere tho and Mike McC got taken for a fool. It’s gonna happen. Even Donna wrote up a whole piece about Brown coming back. Aged like fine wine.

I want to be clear on what you are saying. Are you saying it wasn't a mess or a dumpster fire. Or are you saying it was and asking why was it since you think it wasn't under JB? Which one or is it something else?

I’m saying it was a mess this year and these kids weren’t this bad last year. Never heard a peep and if they were this bad last year I doubt Red brings them all back this year. But this discussion took place previously and I said the same thing. I also said why I thought it happened and it wasn’t Reds fault. I think some players took advantage of Red going from good cop to bad cop and we didn’t have the upperclass leadership to keep things reigned in. Of course the injuries were nobodies fault and just bad luck.

Did he really string people along when we all knew he was taking all these visits still? Not like he canceled them.

Someone got duped somewhere tho and Mike McC got taken for a fool. It’s gonna happen. Even Donna wrote up a whole piece about Brown coming back. Aged like fine wine.
My take is he was set to commit, and he strung us along to see if he could get a bigger offer. I get it, but it's sucky for Red and fans.