Class of 2022 - PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered | Page 106 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Hats off to JJ and family: recruiting done right. Due diligence deluxe and no circus.
2. Some people like some people and dislike others, for no objective reason. It happens. Not just in recruiting, but in life.
3. JJ is going to a fine academic institution. It’s basketball pedigree may not be as storied as SU’s, but during JJ’s time, they may be equal to, or better than, SU. Who knows.
4. Kids go away to school. If they didn’t, SU would be D-3.
5. Maybe the kid did not want to live in a fish bowl.
6. Maybe the kid and/or his family have seen how fans have treated Buddy and Joe.
7. He’s been in Indiana for a while. Maybe he likes it there.
8. He didn’t chose Duke, so it’s not just about basketball.
9. I hope JJ isn’t naive enough to believe his player relationship with Brey will be the same as his recruiting relationship.
10. IMO, the problem isn’t JB: he is who he is. The problem is that none of our assistants are Mike Hopkins or Troy Weaver.

I will root for JJ to do well, but for SU to crush ND (as always)
You mean how Buddy and Joe were the 1st two Orange hoopers were selling NIL items?

Naturally, I blame dasher

Congrats to JJ. Academics are important to him and at least its not Duke.

I honestly forget Notre Dame’s in the ACC sometimes, with their being spineless has beens in football and bout as relevant as a poor man’s Providence in basketball.

1. Hats off to JJ and family: recruiting done right. Due diligence deluxe and no circus.
2. Some people like some people and dislike others, for no objective reason. It happens. Not just in recruiting, but in life.
3. JJ is going to a fine academic institution. It’s basketball pedigree may not be as storied as SU’s, but during JJ’s time, they may be equal to, or better than, SU. Who knows.
6. Maybe the kid and/or his family have seen how fans have treated Buddy and Joe.
9. I hope JJ isn’t naive enough to believe his player relationship with Brey will be the same as his recruiting relationship.
10. IMO, the problem isn’t JB: he is who he is. The problem is that none of our assistants are Mike Hopkins or Troy Weaver.

The assistants get you in the door. The HC closes the deal. Everyone likes to talk about how Weaver did all the heavy lifting in the early 2000’s, but JB showed up at Melos doorstep in Baltimore. For some reason I can’t see him doing that now.

You mean how Buddy and Joe were the 1st two Orange hoopers were selling NIL items?
No. How there were degraded and berated upon committing and almost all the way through last season. Don’t be obtuse and pay attention. NIL is not message boards or talk radio.

No. How there were degraded and berated upon committing and almost all the way through last season. Don’t be obtuse and pay attention. NIL is not message boards or talk radio.
That's a good point. From what I can gather, ND doesn't have much of a basketball fanbase compared to the Syracuse fanbase. We often think of our fanbase as a huge advantage, but when the most vocal component of that fanbase is a bunch of negative douchebags, it may sway a kid to go another way.

You do know that they are paying with their hard earned CNY cash for the NIL products. People can bash them on here or on the radio but no college basketball fans support their team ($$$) like fans of Syracuse. Just look at the home games and some away games. Money talks.

That's quite a stretch. Our fanbase is about as mild-mannered as you will find in major D-1 sports. Getting craptalked by a dozen twitter turds wouldn't even be on the radar at a high majority of schools. This board pretty much represents the die-hards that care the most and is still extremely mild.

That i can understand. That might be all you need.
Old, disconnected JB, vs unknown quantity in Scheyer, vs a personal affinity for Brey and a nice campus?

You never know what resonates with anyone. And not all decisions are made with complete rationality, or even complete understanding of all the factors and circumstances.

JJ didn't do anything wrong, so i wish him luck in all games that don't affect us.
He says his relationship with Brey sealed the deal. If Hop was the head coach, we would have landed Starling and probably a few of these other guys, too. We need a dynamic head coach if we want to land top recruits after JB steps down.

He says his relationship with Brey sealed the deal. If Hop was the head coach, we would have landed Starling and probably a few of these other guys, too. We need a dynamic head coach if we want to land top recruits after JB steps down.

I wonder why then Brey doesn’t bring in more top recruits.

You gotta admit though, it’s fun to look forward to going up against missed recruits and basically keeping a distant eye on their performance.

Jj. Flip. Clingan Lands Dior if we ever run into Oregon etc etc

Let me clear it up. The allure of the program is very enticing to recruits. The dome. JB. Everything they see for the brand of CUSE. The asst coaches work a recruit 90% of the time. If that was maybe an even split with JB and asst coaches, then it would be different.

i think a backyard kid like JJ is or can be a layup type of recruit. However because they do not get to know JB the way they know the asst coaches, there is certainly a change when they do. This is normal when you have a 75 year old coach. I just think the sequencing is very off
Except--due to his choice of prep school, Starling was ND "backyard kid".

We aren’t going to be an elite team anymore under JB. By elite I mean top 10-15 the entire regular season.

We are going to be solid mediocre and maybe a little stronger depending on the season and never bottom out.
Recruiting isn’t going to be what it was.
We will get some solid recruits but I don’t see us having top 5 recruiting classes with JB.

JB will hit the portal to fill holes but it’s just what it is.

The fans on here for the most part don’t care which is fine. JB has been loyal to SU and SU has returned that loyalty.

This kid wasn’t the difference between us winning a NC or not. He probably would have made the regular season less of grind though but again it is what is.

Good luck at ND except against us.

Donovan Clingan has never left Connecticut. He attends high school in the same town in which he grew up. UConn seemed like home to him. Never got the sense that staying home really mattered much to Starling. He already left once to go to prep school.
We've had some locals sty and do well, and we've had some stay and not do so well.

End of the day, kind of wish mom would have encouraged him to come home.

We aren’t going to be an elite team anymore under JB. By elite I mean top 10-15 the entire regular season.

We are going to be solid mediocre and maybe a little stronger depending on the season and never bottom out.
We will get some solid recruits but I don’t see us having top 5 recruiting classes with JB.

The fans on here for the most part don’t care which is fine. JB has been loyal to SU and SU has returned that loyalty.

This kid wasn’t the difference between us winning a NC or not. He probably would have made the regular season less of grind though but again it is what is.

Give it another year and portal recruiting is going to over shadow HS recruiting.

If a lot of the transfers have success this year it only will accelerate that.

JJ is a budding star but Brey also now has a guy who if he isn't out there 30 plus a game it could be a one hit wonder for Brey getting such a recruit no matter what all was the final pitch. It's a new world now. Young, hospitable and "players" coaches will be in- older traditional guys phasing out. Big-time NIL deals as well now will be part of it all.

This isn't exclusive to sports. Everyone wants a cool boss too who is committed to them as much if not more than the reverse. Loyalty everywhere is challenged.

Last edited:
Well this thread certainly took a turn for the worse, as did our monster recruiting class that we once thought we had. Don't get me wrong, I like our guys, but this just isn't what we thought we were going to have.
Right and I found it presumptious that many posters on here were counting their chickens before they hatched. This is why you go after a 4th guard from HS or in the portal in 21 and use up all your scholarships available because you dont know how the next recruiting cycle plays out

I see us as being slightly behind 90's post probation as long as JB is still here, we'll make a run here or there (like '96 or 2016), we'll consistently be in the tourney and some years in the NIT. High teens to mid 20's in wins in a really good year.

This statement intentionally ignores the possibility that a very good year is possible this season. For example, if this group gets to the Final Four, then the possibilities of an uptick in recruiting increase dramatically.

So, in effect, this is a statement of belief that no such achievements are possible for this year's team.

I get that you and your like-minded comrades utterly dismiss such a possibility, in spite of what you saw Boeheim achieve last year. You guys ignore all information that shows JB to be an Elite Coach who can achieve great things when he has a decent combination of talent & experience to work with...like he has this year.

So please go ahead & enjoy your Boeheim Bashing for a few more weeks. You guys live for it and will seize ANY opportunity to start spinning negative characterizations of JAB. I'm looking forward to your gang of sullen 'analysts' going mute for most of the upcoming season. It will be joyous...
Think New Amsterdam GIF by NBC

How is 6 in any way relevant to him?

Status
Not open for further replies.