Class of 2022 - PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered | Page 33 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
My last one , the Dr was a former Jawhawk basketball player from when I was in school. He was a double figure scorer for 3 years. I mentioned our notable wins against Kansas before the procedure. probably not that smart on my part seeing how he was about to go to work on me.
Thank Goodness he wasn't a Penn State grad.

Thank Goodness he wasn't a Penn State grad.

season 2 laughing GIF by Blunt Talk

Carnac. Answer is- barbecue at the Boeheims
Question- what is JJ gonna be enjoying this weekend?

Coaches, players and staff gotta be loving the Boeheim barbecue marathon!

hope we lock this young man up.

I assume we are willing to take 2 of the 3 between Copeland, Starling and Westry. It seems Copeland looks likely and Westry looks unlikely. If UNC is out on JJ does that make us the favorite?

I assume we are willing to take 2 of the 3 between Copeland, Starling and Westry. It seems Copeland looks likely and Westry looks unlikely. If UNC is out on JJ does that make us the favorite?
We take two from that group for sure. The question is, would two of them commit, would Taylor and Lands already in the fold, will both also projected to play on the wing?

We take two from that group for sure. The question is, would two of them commit, would Taylor and Lands already in the fold, will both also projected to play on the wing?
I think Taylor can play the wing - I also think Copeland has the potential too.

Joe
JJ
Lands
Benny
Edwards

Bench: Taylor, Flip, Copeland

JJ and Copeland can both play the 1 or 2. Taylor 2 or 3. Flip 4 or 5. I also think Lands can play the yop of the zone.

obviously the following year we lose Joe and probably Benny, so we can slide in Flip and either Taylor or Copeland to start

First, Syracuse will take the best athletes/players that want to come to Syracuse. It looks Syracuse is recruiting strong guard candidates. Kamari Lands has expressed his desire to play Guard in preparation for the NBA. Justin Taylor is a 2G/SF. Quadir Copeland is a PG. JJ Starling is a 2G that could play PG. Chance Westry is a CG who we would probably give a try at PG depending on who is on the team.

High probability that Syracuse will get 3 of these 5 players (we should have at least 2 after today counting Lands) and that will cover the PG-2G-SF positions/needs. Each player out of this group that commits is highly versatile and Able to play multiple positions.

Second, our probability of landing a big man commit is not as high as getting the above players. We have identified/offered three (Filipowski, Clingan and Brown) candidates and have had visits from two of them. Competition for the two is great and we do not have a good grasp on where we stand with respect to one of them choosing Syracuse. (I hope that we get either one or both that visited) Depending on their decision timelines, we need to continue to recruit big men.

I dont think JJ commits this weekend. Could be wrong and I'd love to be but I think he takes his visits and gets through Peach Jam before figuring out what he wants to do.

I just find it hard to believe JJ would commit to an SU team that would already have Taylor & Copeland. Especially with Lands already committed. Where is his path to playing time?

Can't help feeling that it is JJ or Copeland, and the coaches may have warned him that they will take Copeland, so it will be whoever commits first.

I think you might be correct. The Orange staff might not be able to wait for him. They will impress that upon him this weekend.
It would be huge to get him to commit before leaving...like really huge! Maybe he does knowing Copeland might pull the trigger and Chance's LSU visit will be over and there's the possibility of him committing as well. Don't think it happens but like you said, I'm sure the staff is letting him know the situation.

I just find it hard to believe JJ would commit to an SU team that would already have Taylor & Copeland. Especially with Lands already committed. Where is his path to playing time?

Can't help feeling that it is JJ or Copeland, and the coaches may have warned him that they will take Copeland, so it will be whoever commits first.

I agree with this. Lands sees himself as a guard; so does Justin Taylor.

I think it's whoever chooses to commit first among JJ Starling and Copeland. I don't see Chance as our guy.

And I think that may be it. Maybe Flip, but I'm not feeling it.

Copeland, Lands and Taylor. (Fine class, by the way!).

Maybe a 4th guy, but it'll probably be a big guy, and if I were a betting man, I would say it's neither Clingan or Flip. Probably some other guy we get late.

There will be a path to playing time regardless of who is on the roster. JJ is that good.

It depends on the pitch.

Senior JG3 will command at least 28mpg at the 1, but everything else will be up for grabs.

JJ can play the 1 or the 2.
Copeland can play the 1 or 2 (and the 3 defensively)
Taylor can play the 2 or 3
Lands can play the 2-4.

with the versatility of everyone above, along with the departure of JG3 (and possibly Benny) there will be plenty of time in 2023 when they’re all sophomores. Freshman year might squeeze a few guys for less minutes than they want but 2023 will be all them.

The only PT crunch IMO is getting 3 of Westry/JJ/Copeland - that won’t work. We can take 2 of that group and I believe it fits in nicely with Taylor/Lands and hopefully Flip

Yeah I don't see Taylor playing the 3 at Cuse. Just because he can, doesn't mean he wants to. With Lands also wanting time at the 2 I just don't see us taking two out of three of the other guys. I think they see if JJ is willing to commit. If he doesn't Syracuse grabs Copeland. I think Taylor helps net us Flip and then we add Bunch. Final tally...
Copeland
Taylor
Flip
Bunch

Surprise 5th: Taylor's PF buddy we offered a few months back.

Yeah I don't see Taylor playing the 3 at Cuse. Just because he can, doesn't mean he wants to. With Lands also wanting time at the 2 I just don't see us taking two out of three of the other guys. I think they see if JJ is willing to commit. If he doesn't Syracuse grabs Copeland. I think Taylor helps net us Flip and then we add Bunch. Final tally...
Copeland
Taylor
Flip
Bunch

Surprise 5th: Taylor's PF buddy we offered a few months back.
I think (could be wrong) that playing the 2 on offense is the important thing. As long a we play 3 or 4 out, and label them both as guards it shouldn’t matter

I think (could be wrong) that playing the 2 on offense is the important thing. As long a we play 3 or 4 out, and label them both as guards it shouldn’t matter
It doesn't really matter on offense. JB can and does feature players based on their skill set and not necessarily their position or label. Having a true PG and a true 5 on offense is what matters most, IMO.

It does matter in the zone.

Possibly but my guess would be that Taylor would be more comfortable at the top of the zone at 6'7. Putting a 6'7 Taylor with a 6'8 Copeland or a 6'7 Land would just be filthy. Teams won't have a clean 3 inside 30 feet. Add Benny and Flip with Edwards and Frank and the middle and it becomes stupid filthy.

Possibly but my guess would be that Taylor would be more comfortable at the top of the zone at 6'7. Putting a 6'7 Taylor with a 6'8 Copeland or a 6'7 Land would just be filthy. Teams won't have a clean 3 inside 30 feet. Add Benny and Flip with Edwards and Frank and the middle and it becomes stupid filthy.
Length at the top of the zone is an asset for sure. Length AND quickness AND anticipation is what makes the top of the zone special. We know all these guys have length (even though I don't think Cope is even close to 6-8). We won't know about the other stuff until they play.

Status
Not open for further replies.