Class of 2022 - PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered | Page 77 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is some logic there that is concerning. We want a guy to be our featured guy that apparently won't get off the bench at one of our conference rivals?
One of our conference rivals who has 3 top 10 recruits, and another in the top 50 for JJs class. Not to mention 3 top 30 guys this year, and another in the top 100.

we aren’t saying JJ would get the keys here but be on the bench at BC, are you guys serious? Duke has 8 top 100 commits over the next 2 years. Is it so hard to believe that JJ may not be the focal point of their offense there but he would be here? Common sense fellas, cmon

Last edited:
One of our conference rivals who has 3 top 10 recruits, and another in the top 50 for JJs class. Not to mention 3 top 30 guys this year, and another in the top 100.

we aren’t saying JJ would get the keys here but be on the bench at BC, are you guys serious? Duke has 8 top 100 commits over the next 2 years. Is it so hard to believe that JJ may not be the focal point of their offense there but he would be here? Common sense fellas, cmon
Being the focal point here or playing 20 at a Duke or Kentucky doesn’t seem to matter when it comes to the draft.

Does Tyus Battle get drafted if he goes to Michigan? I don’t know, doesn’t seem like he blew his draft stock by his play here but playing here very well could have.

All I’m saying is the arguments of “he won’t play there” and he should come here is a loser attitude and it shows where we are.

Can someone find the Sy tweet months ago saying JJ would be next? I'd like to hold someone accountable if we lose out besides just GMAC...
Oh stop it. A single assistant, who is not the top assistant in the pecking order, is not the end-all/be-all
as far as why a kid either chooses to commit to, and actually enrolls at, SU or does not.

If you doubt that, then look at what JB said related to Dior's commit/uncommit. "I never committed
to him" was the line or something like that. I don't buy that for half a second, but if that's true,
which recruit would bother with the Orange? "I committed, but the head coach didn't seem
interested, so screw that program."

Kev

Being the focal point here or playing 20 at a Duke or Kentucky doesn’t seem to matter when it comes to the draft.

Does Tyus Battle get drafted if he goes to Michigan? I don’t know, doesn’t seem like he blew his draft stock by his play here but playing here very well could have.

All I’m saying is the arguments of “he won’t play there” and he should come here is a loser attitude and it shows where we are.
Yea, but kids want to play as many minutes as possible. They want to be on the floor the majority of minutes and when the game is on the line. There’s huge value (in both draft stock and development) in being the star and the guy who has the ball in his hands at crunch time. Man, I hope Autry and JB can pull this off.

Yea, but kids want to play as many minutes as possible. They want to be on the floor the majority of minutes and when the game is on the line. There’s huge value (in both draft stock and development) in being the star and the guy who has the ball in his hands at crunch time. Man, I hope Autry and JB can pull this off.
If that was the case then why aren’t the backups at Kentucky coming to play here?

This issue really is perplexing. It's a head scratcher to me why a kid wouldn't jump on the opportunity to be part of a solid team led by a hall of fame coach and be the focal point versus going to a school where he may have limited playing time and certainly not the first option. He has very little to risk with the first option but the second, who knows, could land him on the bench more than the court.

These are kids/young men we're talking about so is it ego? Is it validation that they've arrived and are one of the best in the country if they go to a blue blood? Is it the cash? Have they bought into the notion that going to a Duke or Kentucky sets them up for the NBA (which is bunk - it's their talent that sets them up). I really don't know.

I do think that getting an offer from Duke or Kentucky is as impressive as you can get. If you get an offer from Duke, that means you can essentially go to any school of your choosing (for the most part). If my son were at that level, I can see wanting to get an offer from one of these schools; however, I'm not so sure that's where he would go, particularly if that school is coached by some guy named Scheyer and playing time is very much unknown.

It’s been said hundreds of times. If a kid is meant for the NBA the league will find him whether it’s Duke, Cuse, or Buffalo. Obviously most kids want to go to a school that has national name recognition and will be on TV.

it’s not a loser attitude at all, I still don’t even get your point. It’s not just Duke - JJ likely gets more playing time (based on individual roster construction obviously) at 99% of schools in America than he would at Duke. He most likely gets more PT at UVA, or OSU, etc than he would at Duke. It has nothing to do with a “loser attitude”

What do you want us to do? Say no to him based on the fact he’d play less at Duke than he would here? That’s brilliant

It’s been said hundreds of times. If a kid is meant for the NBA the league will find him whether it’s Duke, Cuse, or Buffalo. Obviously most kids want to go to a school that has national name recognition and will be on TV.

it’s not a loser attitude at all, I still don’t even get your point. It’s not just Duke - JJ likely gets more playing time (based on individual roster construction obviously) at 99% of schools in America than he would at Duke. He most likely gets more PT at UVA, or OSU, etc than he would at Duke. It has nothing to do with a “loser attitude”

What do you want us to do? Say no to him based on the fact he’d play less at Duke than he would here? That’s brilliant
No, we should go after him and 90% of the people that comment on recruits should stop with their BS. When they go elsewhere (didn’t want him anyway), looking at a better school (he won’t play there), and the always wonderful (he’d be perfect here) like he would be crap elsewhere.

You said it yourself, no matter where they go if they’re talented they’ll get drafted, why does PT at Syracuse playing 35 minutes a game matter compared to a 20 at Duke? You say you don’t understand my point but you literally make it by saying that you can get drafted at Buffalo.

I agree with what you're both saying. If a kid is talented, he will get drafted no matter where he goes to school. However, PT does matter because if he doesn't get enough of it to show his talent, he won't be noticed. I don't think it probably matters with 35 versus 20, but if it's more like 35 versus 10, then yeah, I do think that matters.

I agree with what you're both saying. If a kid is talented, he will get drafted no matter where he goes to school. However, PT does matter because if he doesn't get enough of it to show his talent, he won't be noticed. I don't think it probably matters with 35 versus 20, but if it's more like 35 versus 10, then yeah, I do think that matters.
That is fair, but then I think it goes back to if they’re getting 10 there then I probably don’t want him.

No, we should go after him and 90% of the people that comment on recruits should stop with their BS. When they go elsewhere (didn’t want him anyway), looking at a better school (he won’t play there), and the always wonderful (he’d be perfect here) like he would be crap elsewhere.

You said it yourself, no matter where they go if they’re talented they’ll get drafted, why does PT at Syracuse playing 35 minutes a game matter compared to a 20 at Duke? You say you don’t understand my point but you literally make it by saying that you can get drafted at Buffalo.
Ask JJ. Does he want to play 15 minutes less per game x 32 games a year? Kids want to play too lol.

Yes big picture wise no matter the PT, it most likely won’t effect his draft stock. And yes, Duke certainly has a recent history of guys they can point to they are in the league. But we are still a top 20 program nationally, and the hometown program - where he can get big time PT.

Yes the shorter PT does give the scouts way less tape. But let’s not forget that JJ wants to play too. I’m sure for him it’ll be a cost vs benefit. Duke has the recent NBA success and he will be practicing against 5 stars - but if he only gets 15mpg is that worth it for him? Or does he want 30mpg but may not get the pub of Duke

Ask JJ. Does he want to play 15 minutes less per game x 32 games a year? Kids want to play too lol.

Yes big picture wise no matter the PT, it most likely won’t effect his draft stock. And yes, Duke certainly has a recent history of guys they can point to they are in the league. But we are still a top 20 program nationally, and the hometown program - where he can get big time PT.
Top 20 according to whom? Not our recruiting classes, not our rankings, and not even perception by these 15-17 year old kids.

We have a great history, a hall of fame coach, great facilities (which seem to be getting passed by daily), but the SEC basketball teams are coming out of the woodwork with their facilities and recruiting and obviously bumping us. Kids would rather play at Alabama than us, that’s not good man.

Yes the shorter PT does give the scouts way less tape. But let’s not forget that JJ wants to play too. I’m sure for him it’ll be a cost vs benefit. Duke has the recent NBA success and he will be practicing against 5 stars - but if he only gets 15mpg is that worth it for him? Or does he want 30mpg but may not get the pub of Duke
Sometimes being run out for 35 minutes a game here doesn’t pan out well for guys. See Fair and Battle. I think both had some nba talent, especially Battle.

Top 20 according to whom? Not our recruiting classes, not our rankings, and not even perception by these 15-17 year old kids.

We have a great history, a hall of fame coach, great facilities (which seem to be getting passed by daily), but the SEC basketball teams are coming out of the woodwork with their facilities and recruiting and obviously bumping us. Kids would rather play at Alabama than us, that’s not good man.
were still a top 20 program anyone that says otherwise is just wrong. Non top 20 programs haven't been to a final 4 and three sweet 16s in the past 5 years

So you think they didn’t make the NBA because they played too much? Dude you are really having a bad day.
Had to get a dig in at the end huh?

You don’t think players can get overexposed? You think fatigue over the course of the year doesn’t affect play?

Your refusal to think outside the box is lazy, simple and you’re missing a lot. You probably have many bad days and you don’t even realize it.

were still a top 20 program anyone that says otherwise is just wrong. Non top 20 programs haven't been to a final 4 and three sweet 16s in the past 5 years
UConn has how many titles? Who cares right? Nobody gives a hoot about our final four outside of this base.

FYI, your numbers are wrong, may want to look it up again.

I think the age of the player plays a factor. We used to get 18 years old, now with high school recruits going to prep school we are getting 19 yr old going on 20 and once in awhile a 20 yr old going on 21. As the recruits get older, they feel they only one year or at most 2 before the window closes on going pro before they are viewed too old.

Status
Not open for further replies.