Phil Steele doesn't project us to make a bowl: | Syracusefan.com

Phil Steele doesn't project us to make a bowl:

In other news. The Earth is round.

Not sure what his deal is re: SU. Maybe Boeheim didn't offer him a scholarship?

There are four wins baked.

BC, Wake, and Tulane were awful last year and all are home, along with Wagner.

Maryland had one of the worst offenses in D-1 last year.

NCSt's OL was a mess.

SU has a lot to replace on offense, but they have two (very well coached) 5th year seniors and a 3rd year sophmore battling for the QB job, not 1st, 2nd or 3rd year players.

At the end of last season in relation to the teams on this upcoming schedule SU had the 3rd best overall statisical profile after FSU and Clemson. Well behind FSU and slightly behind Clemson and just in front of PSU.

They go 2-4 against the middle of the schedule and they go to a bowl.

NC St has to be one of the most strangely overrated teams this year. They might be okay, but they replace more than we do from a similar if not a bit worse team, and also bring a new coach though one who will be installing a much different system. Yet, it's NCSt so people pencil them in for 7 wins because why not?

NC St has to be one of the most strangely overrated teams this year. They might be okay, but they replace more than we do from a similar if not a bit worse team, and also bring a new coach though one who will be installing a much different system. Yet, it's NCSt so people pencil them in for 7 wins because why not?

NCSt was 108th in rushing, 106th sacks allowed, 103rd tackles for loss allowed. They did one thing well, had Glennon throw for a lot of yards.

Their defense was okay.

Steele has us 5-7
W- Wagner, Tulane, Wake Forest, Pitt, Boston College
L- Penn State, Northwestern, Clemson, NC State, Georgia Tech, Maryland, Florida State

Honestly, that Penn State is huge and is so WINNABLE. I also think we split NC State/Maryland but whatever.

Steele has us 5-7
W- Wagner, Tulane, Wake Forest, Pitt, Boston College
L- Penn State, Northwestern, Clemson, NC State, Georgia Tech, Maryland, Florida State

Honestly, that Penn State is huge and is so WINNABLE. I also think we split NC State/Maryland but whatever.

Not losing to Maryland.

Not losing to Maryland.

Yeah, why is Syracuse pegged to lose against Maryland? I mean, granted, they won't have a walk on linebacker playing QB this year. Well, probably.

But what makes a lousy ACC team last year better than Syracuse?

Yeah, why is Syracuse pegged to lose against Maryland? I mean, granted, they won't have a walk on linebacker playing QB this year. Well, probably.

But what makes a lousy ACC team last year better than Syracuse?

Losing to Maryland wouldn't surprise me. And wouldn't be the end of the world. I never trust an Edsall defense. And no way there offense will look anything like last year's. If we had them at home, I might feel differently. But certainly wouldn't be shocked if we lose. I think that game is a coin toss.

Agree with Black Knight. I can't, at all, see why NC State is rated where they are. New coach inherits offense who lost everything. If anything, they should be viewed the same as us, except we beat them in the Drew Allen sweepstakes, so advantage us.

We might have to win one of Maryland, NC State. Both winnable, but unfortunately both on the road.

Winning that (also winnable) Penn State game, would set such a great tone.

Guess what? Phil Steele didn't project us going to a bowl last year either. In fact, he had us picked to finish 7th in the BE. Whoops. And just to prove what a brilliant prognosticator he is, he had USF winning the BE and going to the Orange Bowl. Need I say more? How does this man have a job?
http://Steele strikes out againSteele strikes out again

It's just basic info about the sport we all love. It just annoys the hell out of me when people start looking at this stuff as fact, much like the pre-season polls.

but if you listen to him on the bill king show he always says good things about us

Until Syracuse brings in elite talent our football team won't get respect nationally. As much crap as Doug Marrone has gotten on here some warranted and some unwarranted he maximized the talent he had on the field. If he had more talent our depth would have allowed us to be a real contender. Doug Marrone helped develop Chandler Jones and Justin Pugh into NFL 1st round draft picks. While both would have been drafted Marrone's program and coaching developed them into 1st round picks. So Steele looks at our roster and doesn't see the talent he sees on NC State, Maryland, etc but what he forgets is coaching is key. If Marrone had all the talent Schiano had he would have won multiple conference championships because of coaching. I think SU is a 6-7 win team because of QB question marks so having us as a 5 win team isn't that ridiculous. If Steele had us going 2-10 or 4-8 like the GRob era, but I understand 5-7 even if I disagree.

I dont think saying Syracuse doesn't project to make a bowl is that outlandish a statement. Lets be honest the first two games of the season are against two top 35 teams once of which is projected in the top 20 (NW). SU could easily be 0-2 after the first two games even if they play well. I think we all agree Wagner and Tulane are wins but after that the waters get murky. I think we can beat both Maryland and NC State but with both being on the road its tricky because things can easily snow ball and before you know it your down 14 pts. To me its clear that between the PSU, NW, Maryland, and NC State games SU needs to be 2-2 to have a good shot at a bowl. Once again its to bad were not opening with Tulane instead of two back to back BCS level top 30 teams.

FSU and Clemson aside, here are the 2012 records of the mighty teams that are going to derail SU's season.

Maryland (Record 4-8), lost their last 6 games. Wins: William and Mary (Score 7-6), Temple (Record 4-7), Wake (Record 5-7), UVA (Record 4-8).

Wake (5-7). Wins: Liberty (Score 20-17), UNC (8-4), Army (2-10), UVA (4-8), BC (2-8).

BC (2-10). Wins: Maine, Maryland (4-8)

NCSt (7-6). Wins: Uconn (5-7), South Alabama, Citadel, FSU (12-1), Maryland (4-8), Wake (5-7), BC (2-10)

GT (7-7). Wins: Presbyterian, UVA (4-8), BC (2-10), Maryland (4-8), UNC (8-4), Duke (6-7), USC (7-6). One of their losses was to Middle Tenn. St.

That's five teams playing 63 games and producing 4 wins against teams with winning records.

Oooh, scary stuff kids.

countfloyd.gif

I think I said four wins are baked in, make that five, Wagner, Tulane, Wake, BC, and Maryland.

SU needs to win one of Pitt, NCST, GT, PSU, NW to be bowl eligible.

FSU and Clemson aside, here are the 2012 records of the mighty teams that are going to derail SU's season.

Maryland (Record 4-8), lost their last 6 games. Wins: William and Mary (Score 7-6), Temple (Record 4-7), Wake (Record 5-7), UVA (Record 4-8).

Wake (5-7). Wins: Liberty (Score 20-17), UNC (8-4), Army (2-10), UVA (4-8), BC (2-8).

BC (2-10). Wins: Maine, Maryland (4-8)

NCSt (7-6). Wins: Uconn (5-7), South Alabama, Citadel, FSU (12-1), Maryland (4-8), Wake (5-7), BC (2-10)

GT (7-7). Wins: Presbyterian, UVA (4-8), BC (2-10), Maryland (4-8), UNC (8-4), Duke (6-7), USC (7-6). One of their losses was to Middle Tenn. St.

That's five teams playing 63 games and producing 4 wins against teams with winning records.

Oooh, scary stuff kids.

countfloyd.gif

I think I said four wins are baked in, make that five, Wagner, Tulane, Wake, BC, and Maryland.

SU needs to win one of Pitt, NCST, GT, PSU, NW to be bowl eligible.

Without knowing who or what those teams return or have brought in via a new class its hard to say how good or bad a team like Maryland or NC State will be. BC and Wake definitely project as lower level teams that Syracuse should beat especially at home. But until I see how this offense looks with a new QB a nearly totally revamped WR core, and a Defense that has major questions marks on whether it can generate pressure in the front four its hard for me to sit back in pencil in wins. Especially a team like GT that runs the Triple Option, when is the last time an SU squad game planned for that? Not exactly a game that screams likely win for SU when its on the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom