phil steele last decade rankings | Syracusefan.com

phil steele last decade rankings

tipphill

All Conference
i saw this on the rutgers site---he ranks the best and worst winning percentages in conference play for the last decade. we ranked 13th worst in the country over the past 10yrs, i shutter to think of our ranking over the past 20yrs----omg,since 1960 i have been through the good and bad of the ben s, mac and pp,eras, the maloney era(he recruited very well, and was not given enough time to grow up), robinson, marrone and shafer. the coach who i believe got the worst of the deal was ben, who could not recruit near the end of his era due to lack of institutional suport(ie facilities )and p for the same reason as su did not reinvest in the program. i also felt bad for maloney, he had some exciting offense. i know he alienated people though including the alumni and old guard including disrespecting ben s.---i guess he got what he paid for. its a shame marrone turned out poorly, as i believe he was the best game day coach we have had in several years. had he remained and lightened up a bit, got his practice facility---we would be farther along in our recovery.---lets see what this year brings

Maloney was an enigma. He compiled some of the best young coaches out there for his staff (Saban, Coughlin, Jerry Angelo, Edsall, etc...) but never could get over the hump. The '79 team was actually very good...Losing Joe Morris in 1980 early really hurt that team. Frank had some issues with alcohol and that didn't help. He had several close games with national powers but never could get that signature win over Ohio State, Penn State and Pitt. I agree if given the support he might have had a great career...it worked out in the long run with Coach Mac but I always like Coach Maloney.

i saw this on the rutgers site---he ranks the best and worst winning percentages in conference play for the last decade. we ranked 13th worst in the country over the past 10yrs, i shutter to think of our ranking over the past 20yrs
Spoiler alert - our ranking over the past 20 years would be much better than 13th worst. We had some pretty good seasons from 1995 through 2001.

its a shame marrone turned out poorly, as i believe he was the best game day coach we have had in several years.
Wow. I thought Marrone was the worst clock manager I had ever seen in his first 3.5 seasons at Syracuse and made horrible game day decisions on a pretty consistent basis up until the FG decision in the Cincinnati game in 2012. After that he started being more aggressive in his calls and the results were extremely positive (that stretch of games was proven to be an anomaly as he went back to his dumb conservative ways in Buffalo).

Many here agreed while Marrone was HC that he was very good from Sunday through Friday but poor on Saturdays. At least that was the general assessment early on in his tenure.

orangenirvana said:
Spoiler alert - our ranking over the past 20 years would be much better than 13th worst. We had some pretty good seasons from 1995 through 2001. Wow. I thought Marrone was the worst clock manager I had ever seen in his first 3.5 seasons at Syracuse and made horrible game day decisions on a pretty consistent basis up until the FG decision in the Cincinnati game in 2012. After that he started being more aggressive in his calls and the results were extremely positive (that stretch of games was proven to be an anomaly as he went back to his dumb conservative ways in Buffalo). Many here agreed while Marrone was HC that he was very good from Sunday through Friday but poor on Saturdays. At least that was the general assessment early on in his tenure.

Yep. Marrones legend continues to grow!

Here are the facts - Marrone was 25-25, with his last year 8-5. Shafer is 10-15 with last year 3-9. Marrone did a great job post Gerg. Hoping for a bit of a miracle this year with Shafer and Lester. And by miracle, I mean 6-6.

Here are the facts - Marrone was 25-25, with his last year 8-5. Shafer is 10-15 with last year 3-9. Marrone did a great job post Gerg. Hoping for a bit of a miracle this year with Shafer and Lester. And by miracle, I mean 6-6.

Here's some other facts. Shafer has an almost identical record to NCStates coach Doeren, but makes about a million dollars less a year. Also, Shafers first two years have produced more wins then some of our greatest coaches in program history in their first two seasons. Cutcliffe at Duke took 7 years to make a winner, while getting paid more than Shafer, and that looks like a smart move by Duke keeping him around. I hope we make a bowl game this year, and could actually see this team winning 8 games. Even if we go 5-7, I think Shafer should get extended a couple years, with an increased investment in the staff.

Spoiler alert - our ranking over the past 20 years would be much better than 13th worst. We had some pretty good seasons from 1995 through 2001.

Wow. I thought Marrone was the worst clock manager I had ever seen in his first 3.5 seasons at Syracuse and made horrible game day decisions on a pretty consistent basis up until the FG decision in the Cincinnati game in 2012. After that he started being more aggressive in his calls and the results were extremely positive (that stretch of games was proven to be an anomaly as he went back to his dumb conservative ways in Buffalo).

Many here agreed while Marrone was HC that he was very good from Sunday through Friday but poor on Saturdays. At least that was the general assessment early on in his tenure.
did you see the article about Marrone and EJ Manuel floating around from foxsports? you'll appreciate as a bigger fan of manuel than i am. basically proved that marrone put him in tough spots by always running on first down

did you see the article about Marrone and EJ Manuel floating around from foxsports? you'll appreciate as a bigger fan of manuel than i am. basically proved that marrone put him in tough spots by always running on first down
This one?

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...arterback-then-vanished-with-4-million-071515

Excerpt...

"Despite EJ Manuel posting the 4th best passer rating ever in NFL history for a rookie playing 3 games in weeks 1-3, and despite EJ Manuel excelling on 1st down unlike most rookie quarterbacks the NFL has seen, another rookie stepped in to break up the party. Rookie head coach Doug Marrone stripped Manuel of his ability to pass on the early downs after 3 games. And just like that, after 3 weeks, Marrone seemed to direct an offense which would ultimately render impotent Manuel's best chance for NFL success."

SS has had a lot tougher schedule playing in the ACC than DM had in the old big east. I believe SS's first year was better than anything DM did in his 4 years.

Shafer: overachieved year 1. Underachieved year 2 but injuries and a jackass OC hurt a lot. Great guy good recruiter great defensive mind let's see what this year brings.

Marrone: did a very good job bringing the program back from the dead but was destined to leave because that's what he does. Not one former player of his that I can recall stood up for him after the Buffalo situation. By former player I mean a guy who played for DM the head coach. That is telling. Good coach who is too thin skinned and controlling for his or his teams own good

Shafer: overachieved year 1. Underachieved year 2 but injuries and a jackass OC hurt a lot. Great guy good recruiter great defensive mind let's see what this year brings.

Marrone: did a very good job bringing the program back from the dead but was destined to leave because that's what he does. Not one former player of his that I can recall stood up for him after the Buffalo situation. By former player I mean a guy who played for DM the head coach. That is telling. Good coach who is too thin skinned and controlling for his or his teams own good
that what i meant by he needed to lighten up, you said it it much better

Here's some other facts. Shafer has an almost identical record to NCStates coach Doeren, but makes about a million dollars less a year. Also, Shafers first two years have produced more wins then some of our greatest coaches in program history in their first two seasons. Cutcliffe at Duke took 7 years to make a winner, while getting paid more than Shafer, and that looks like a smart move by Duke keeping him around.
Everyone read this again. And when you forget about it, come back to this thread and read it one more time. In fact, print this out and post it to your refrigerator.

Everyone read this again. And when you forget about it, come back to this thread and read it one more time. In fact, print this out and post it to your refrigerator.

I'll add to this that Shafer didnt have the luxury of playing cream-puff schedules like NCState and Duke have enjoyed the last couple years. Dukes schedule this upcoming season is embarassingly bad. They have the weakest non-con schedule in all of P5, and avoid all the top ACC teams too. It's a joke. Anyway, carry on.

Um, he hired the OC!

yes he did! It turned out horribly, but you can see what his mindset was when he made the hire: Our offensive talent was SO far below that of the rest of the ACC(minus Wake basically) that he figured he would give GM the great recruiter a shot as a first time OC. The only way he was coming here was to be an OC, and we desperately needed someone who could recruit great athletes on offense. It was very risky because Shafer knows defense and he needed an experienced OC. Didn't work. Hopefully Lester will prove to be a much better choice, both of their jobs are riding on it!

Ugh, I don't give a flying Chukwu about the last ten years, it is the next ten that matter to me. And, I honestly think that a decade from now, we will look back upon the previous ten as a great era for this program and it will be set up to continue to grow and it will because HCSS created the culture that high character athletes want to be a part of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom