Philip Montgomery - discuss | Syracusefan.com

Philip Montgomery - discuss

GoSU96

Living Legend
Has already won as many games through 8 as Tulsa won the two prior years combined. 5-4 with games against Cinci, Navy, and Tulane. Losses to Oklahoma, Memphis, and Houston. Bad loss to a down ECU only real blemish.

Only one game scoring less than 34, 5 games 40 or more, another two 38 pts, they averaged 25 last year.

Coyle hired Harsin after Harsin only had one year at Arkansas State.

Sign me up. The meathead boosters have had enough time establishing the run.

Previous HC experience. History of scoring points at a modern college football level.

That checks a lot of boxes.

Has already won as many games through 8 as Tulsa won the two prior years combined. 5-4 with games against Cinci, Navy, and Tulane. Losses to Oklahoma, Memphis, and Houston. Bad loss to a down ECU only real blemish.

Only one game scoring less than 34, 5 games 40 or more, another two 38 pts, they averaged 25 last year.

Coyle hired Harsin after Harsin only had one year at Arkansas State.
Have you heard his name mentioned from sources?

I would take him but the only concern is the guy has no ties to the Northeast or the ACC recruiting grounds. He is a Southwest guy. However, with our recent history I would hire him.

Fuente is getting an SEC East job either UGA or USC.

Can any of these guys recruit?

I mean, really recruit.

Fuente and Herman are headed for bigger jobs.
My bad, plus we wouldn't shell out that much $$$ anyway but after looking at your pick I think he's a good one especially coming from Baylor.

These guys arent coming here...We dont shell out enough to get these guys and we are not the optimal head coaching spot compared to some of the other opening spots. Any coach that comes here is most likely going to be an assistant.

Can any of these guys recruit?

I mean, really recruit.

He was part of building Baylor. He was there from them being an after thought to getting as much talent as any team in the Big 12.

These guys arent coming here...We dont shell out enough to get these guys and we are not the optimal head coaching spot compared to some of the other opening spots. Any coach that comes here is most likely going to be an assistant.
With this attitude we should shut down the football program.

We aren't getting Herman or Fuente because their are better jobs. Wouldn't call Montgomery the same tier candidate.

We aren't going to go cheap this hire. Shafer was cheap because he was internal hire and had no leverage. We offered Holtz 2.5 million in 2008. We will spend if the candidate deserves it.

Scott Frost OC at Oregon

Campbell at Toledo

My two early votes

I trust Coyle to make the right decision when the time comes. This isn't like DG picking the next guy, Coyle will make a good choice.

Campbell, or failing that head south 20 minutes on I 75 and ask Babers.

I like the idea but I don't think he has any recruiting connections outside of Texas (and now Oklahoma).

I trust Coyle to make the right decision when the time comes. This isn't like DG picking the next guy, Coyle will make a good choice.

Based on what though? I really don't get the board attitude of in coyle I trust he's a smart guy.

Based on what though? I really don't get the board attitude of in coyle I trust he's a smart guy.

Because he's been an AD, and appears to have nailed his last football hire.

RICuse44 said:

Our current chancellor seems great. He hired Coyle. Coyle has a very impressive resume and made what appears to be a very strong hire at BSU. There's no reason not to "trust" him at the moment.

Because he's been an AD, and appears to have nailed his last football hire.

How much credit should Coyle really get for hiring Harsin? He was Peterson's offensive coordinator and was born and bred a Bronco (with a year's worth of head coaching experience under his belt to boot). He was a no brainer.

I suspect he is going to have to work a little more should he choose to replace Shafer.

i take at least a small measure of hope in that Coyle played football. It was only d-III, but it's at least something that indicates he undertands football.

I googled around and found this interview:

Q: Bryan Harsin obviously looks like a good hire at Boise State. What impressed you about him?

A: I wasn't at Boise State when Bryan was there so our fanbase would say he's the guy but I never met him until he showed up at my house at 5 a.m. for his interview and we talked for three house. Brian mentioned that he operated like it was 4th-and-1 and that he had that 4th-and-1 mentality. What happens on 4th-and-1? Everyone zeroes in at that moment. He was organized and detailed and had an incredible sense of urgency. That's the message our fanbase needed. He had that urgency. That's what we needed and everyone needs that.

I couldn't help but chuckle at how the 4-and-1 metaphor would work with Shafer.

link: http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb..._recruiting_44_and_wegmans_soda_machines.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom