Pitino as transitional hire to raise SU's profile | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Pitino as transitional hire to raise SU's profile

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does any of that have to do with the sad state of current affairs? Nothing. You guys are starting to sound like all of the UConn fans we would mock... which has really tailed off on the board this season. I wonder why?
Hey, you brought up your friends from WVU and ASU. No one forced you to.

You’re starting to sound like all of the stubborn folks on the old OT board you would mock.

I don't see how replacing an ~80-year-old (assuming JB wants to go a few more years, which I do) with a ~70-year-old improves our situation much, and that's before even thinking about the other issues that go with Rick.

I don't see how replacing an ~80-year-old (assuming JB wants to go a few more years, which I do) with a ~70-year-old improves our situation much, and that's before even thinking about the other issues that go with Rick.
Americans love people the age of 65-80 being in charge. We can’t help ourselves.

That’s cute, but you know who likes to back up his outrageous statements with nothing more than, “A lot of people are saying.”
We haven't been ranked in the regular season, in what... I think it's something like 8 years. We simply haven't been in the national consciousness except for a week or two in March in that span. It's having an effect, and if you don't believe that, well... hopefully JB gets a winning season and when the handoff occurs, I see you on the other side under more optimistic circumstances.

We haven't been ranked in the regular season, in what... I think it's something like 8 years. We simply haven't been in the national consciousness except for a week or two in March in that span. It's having an effect, and if you don't believe that, well... hopefully JB gets a winning season and when the handoff occurs, I see you on the other side under more optimistic circumstances.
So you do agree that we’re not at the level of St. John’s. That’s all I needed to hear.

What does any of that have to do with the sad state of current affairs? Nothing. You guys are starting to sound like all of the UConn fans we would mock... which has really tailed off on the board this season. I wonder why?
It’s just ridiculous to hear about WVU and ASU fans mocking Syracuse. I mean, really? Sure, Huggy Bear is awesome and WVU has been a solid program under him for the past 15 years, but both programs pale in comparison to Syracuse basketball. The Syracuse fan base’s irritation is about not being a top 25 team for the past 7 years. But our downturn is nowhere near as low as a program like St John’s, which has been stuck in mediocrity and worse for a long time now. Until this season, JB at least had us competing for a tourney spot every single season and then often making serious noise in the NCAA tourney (the thing that ultimately matters). And we were almost always in the KenPom top 50–not that we should be happy with that. My point is that I think you’re vastly overstating the supposed “irrelevancy,” which really hasn’t happened until this season.

It’s just ridiculous to hear about WVU and ASU fans mocking Syracuse. I mean, really? Sure, Huggy Bear is awesome and WVU has been a solid program under him for the past 15 years, but both programs pale in comparison to Syracuse basketball. The Syracuse fan base’s irritation is about not being a top 25 team for the past 7 years. But our downturn is nowhere near as low as a program like St John’s, which has been stuck in mediocrity and worse for a long time now. Until this season, JB at least had us competing for a tourney spot every single season and then often making serious noise in the NCAA tourney (the thing that ultimately matters). And we were almost always in the KenPom top 50–not that we should be happy with that. My point is that I think you’re vastly overstating the supposed “irrelevancy,” which really hasn’t happened until this season.
Not right now, and especially not to recruits. You can rip those programs all you want in your agony, but it's like saying a doctor needs to contract a disease in order to diagnose it. We're in a death spiral, and everybody but the most biased orange fan knows it. I suspect JB knows it.

Also, this is the most UConn-like post I may have seen in this thread yet.

I want Oats.

Slick Rick is a little too old I'm not surprised hes winning at Siena but I don't think hes a lock to do well if he gets a return to the big time.

I think a lot of guys can have success here. We don't need Pitino. And I mean real success not this bubble crap we are told we should be happy about.

Pitino shouldn't be suggested hes a Syracuse villain just like Calhoun or Thompson Jr. No way.
You do realize he coaches for Iona not Siena right ?

In all seriousness if we hired Pitino in April we could be a title contender by his second season. Iona College is an at-large team in his second season there and his first one was a covid year. Do ittttttt

Maybe if Rick was even just in his early 60s. However he isn't and not sure how long he is close enough to the top of his game.

Yeah I'm not sure why its a ridiculous idea to even ask Few. Yes, he probably isn't coming, and yes he seems to be embedded on the west coast. But he's a damn good coach and it costs nothing to make a phone all and offer to double his salary. If he says no, we move down the list. We are in the top handful of programs in wins all time. You dont start at Colgate, you (mercifully) end there.

You start at top of the list, not the middle.

Actually Syracuse usually does start at the middle, at least for football.

One of two things is going to happen when Boeheim leaves. The last bit of cache the program had falls and we become DePaul, or we hire a huge name, massively proven coach.
So pitino is too much baggage for the SU hierarchy but the drunk driver is not ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom