Pitino is right | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Pitino is right

Haha

Argument Conflict GIF

It's totally different. Before NIL, there were "gifts" to players, but there was some self monitoring.
Look back at those who won the NCAA. There were any number of schools over the years who won without players driving new cars.

Today, it's just a question of how much some school wants to hand out.

And the SCOTUS decision can be made mute if we had an NCAA with some guts to calm this whole thing down.

Coaches are leaving. The biggest example was Sabin. More than one of his former players were not surprised because they knew he didn't want to play the NIL game. He won't be the only one.

Hanging numbers in the rafters will become a joke because you won't be able to compare the player of today with one from 20 years ago.

Sorry, but I can't except the free, unrestricted, unruly market we have today with hired guns.
With all the money involved, you're crazy if you think this has to do with "guts".

They can't do anything. They have been deemed irrelevant. They waited too long and now they will get sued any time they try to make a stand.

If you were the NCAA czar, what would you do to stop this?

It's totally different. Before NIL, there were "gifts" to players, but there was some self monitoring.
Look back at those who won the NCAA. There were any number of schools over the years who won without players driving new cars.

Today, it's just a question of how much some school wants to hand out.

And the SCOTUS decision can be made mute if we had an NCAA with some guts to calm this whole thing down.

Coaches are leaving. The biggest example was Sabin. More than one of his former players were not surprised because they knew he didn't want to play the NIL game. He won't be the only one.

Hanging numbers in the rafters will become a joke because you won't be able to compare the player of today with one from 20 years ago.

Sorry, but I can't except the free, unrestricted, unruly market we have today with hired guns.

It's the new reality in college sports. Adapt, or die.

Andy Campbell Twitch GIF by Hyper RPG

With all the money involved, you're crazy if you think this has to do with "guts".

They can't do anything. They have been deemed irrelevant. They waited too long and now they will get sued any time they try to make a stand.

If you were the NCAA czar, what would you do to stop this?

The word is "gifts" not guts. And I was talking previous to NIL.

The NCAA is the college presidents. They could do something if they wanted: I grant you they waited too long.

Structure the NIL. Just don't leave it as an auction to the highest bidder.

The word is "gifts" not guts. And I was talking previous to NIL.

The NCAA is the college presidents. They could do something if they wanted: I grant you they waited too long.

Structure the NIL. Just don't leave it as an auction to the highest bidder.
Give specifics. How can they structure NIL knowing the decision in NCAA vs Alston...not to mention state law in various states.

It affects the players too in many ways.

It's out in the open how much NIL each made. They used to compete with each other for minutes, now they also compete with each other for NIL deals. The individual stats and NIL are directly connected.

NIL is also designed to be completely disconnected from on court performance. This means coaches have less leverage on the players once the NIL deals are made. You can't reduce their NIL payout for not practicing or not defending. These are pseudo "student athletes", where in the world can you find a job where you get paid X and there is nothing your boss can do if you show up for work but snores at your desk?

The players no longer think of this as a one stop four years journey. Every year is a shuffle, might as well get the best NIL deal possible. There is no sense of loyalty, players expect a reset at the end of each season so why give your best? Next year go to whoever pays more.

So, reading this thread, it seems like everyone is happy with buying players who may or may not stay beyond a year.
Is this where we want college sports to go? As Rick said, and I'm using my own words a little, there won't be any kind of culture built with teams, it will just be who can do the best job of NIL work.
All you will have left to btch about is why didn't we pay more to get player X.

Sad.

I think another possible issue is actual coaching ability is - possibly - less important than other skills at the college level. That’s going to impact the ability of NBA/NFL to rely on college for player development…I wouldn’t be shocked if the NBA works hard to make the G league the preferred option over college and the NFL starts working on a developmental league for guys coming out of high school to join within a decade.

Unless something really surprising happens, I have a feeling there won't be much question who is the better team when the music ends. They look vastly improved; we look like we're a couple of plays away from full-on implosion most of the time.

That said, I think Red has actually done a pretty good job all things considered and he needs a revamped roster to be fairly evaluated (which is on him in the first place, of course).

I had tickets to the Devils game on 1/20 so hit up the Seton Hall - Creighton game that afternoon. The caliber of play from both teams was far superior to almost the entire ACC. Big East is leaps and bounds ahead of the ACC, and the Johnnies are holding their own. I have absolutely no doubt St Johns is better than Syracuse right now…I don’t really need to wait until the music ends to pass judgement here.

Don’t need him, but I’ve heard there are things in the works.
So what exactly is JB doing in his new role? You’d think he’d try to pull Adam back in instead of pushing him to a rival.

It affects the players too in many ways.

It's out in the open how much NIL each made. They used to compete with each other for minutes, now they also compete with each other for NIL deals. The individual stats and NIL are directly connected.

NIL is also designed to be completely disconnected from on court performance. This means coaches have less leverage on the players once the NIL deals are made. You can't reduce their NIL payout for not practicing or not defending. These are pseudo "student athletes", where in the world can you find a job where you get paid X and there is nothing your boss can do if you show up for work but snores at your desk?

The players no longer think of this as a one stop four years journey. Every year is a shuffle, might as well get the best NIL deal possible. There is no sense of loyalty, players expect a reset at the end of each season so why give your best? Next year go to whoever pays more.
Now that the basketball players are legally "employees" of Dartmouth University,
maybe there will be a "contract" they have to sign and perform to in
order to keep their "job". No longer just a student doing basketball
as a sidelight. Union is the next step? Strike if you don't like your
pay and benefits situation?

It is getting very entertaining.

So, reading this thread, it seems like everyone is happy with buying players who may or may not stay beyond a year.
Is this where we want college sports to go? As Rick said, and I'm using my own words a little, there won't be any kind of culture built with teams, it will just be who can do the best job of NIL work.
All you will have left to btch about is why didn't we pay more to get player X.

Sad.

This is what sucks. No attachment to the player or University. There are pro sports for a reason.

Exactly... at some point I will lose interest. Part of liking college sports is you see guys come in, they develop and your root for them for a few years.

I've noticed my level of interest (particularly in cbb) declining over the last 4-5 years. I used to watch as much cbb as possible, but the portal and bidding on players has lessened my interest. There's no loyalty to a school. I root for a kid 1 year and the next he's playing for Oregon.

I'm not entirely sure if my decreased level of interest coincides with our complete lack of success, my kids becoming more involved in sports, or a combo of those factors plus the portal/NIL.

I used to NEVER miss SU bball games. If I had a conflict, I'd record it, shut my phone off and watch when I got home. Now I'm helping coach my son's 2nd-4th grade team and my older boy's 5-7 team, and when I get home, I turn on the game not worrying about the 1st half I just missed. I don't like that I have that apathy towards SU and cbb as a whole. I also fear my kids and younger generations will never have that attachment to their favorite local school, save for maybe the B10 and SEC. And even then, with what seems to be a split amongst B10 & SEC and all other conferences, it may all go away.

Last edited:
I've noticed my level of interest (particularly in cbb) declining over the last 4-5 years. I used to watch as much cbb as possible, but the portal and bidding on players has lessened my interest. There's no loyalty to a school. I root for a kid 1 year and the next he's playing for Oregon.

I'm not entirely sure if my decreased level of interest coincides with our complete lack of success, my kids becoming more involved in sports, or a combo of those factors plus the portal/NIL.

I used to NEVER miss SU bball games. If I had a conflict, I'd record it, shut my phone off and watch when I got home. Now I'm helping coach my son's 2nd-4th grade team and my older boy's 5-7 team, and when I get home, I turn on the game not worrying about the 1st half I just missed. I don't like that I have that apathy towards SU and cbb as a whole. I also fear my kids and younger generations will never have that attachment to their favorite local school, save for maybe the B10 and SEC. And even then, with what seems to be a split amongst B10 & SEC and all other conferences, it may all go away.
I’m at the point where I watch the games just so I can come here are fool around with all you knuckleheads. Not only our recent downturn but just college sports in general. The stories of coaches walking into the projects to try and get a kid to come to his school, mentor him for four years to see him get drafted is something you’ll never ever see again. There is almost zero loyalty left at all in the college game it’s literally a professional sport now with every player on a one year deal playing for the next highest bidder.

I’m 45, I’m not waving my fist at the cloud angry at the world, I’m not even disagreeing with any part of the rulings, but this isn’t the sport I feel in love with anymore, it’s something else. It’s like a college affiliated GLeague except with far worse players.

I’m 45, I’m not waving my fist at the cloud angry at the world, I’m not even disagreeing with any part of the rulings, but this isn’t the sport I feel in love with anymore, it’s something else. It’s like a college affiliated GLeague except with far worse players.

Based on our cultural/societal values, the direction we are going makes perfect sense - it aligns better with our professed values. However, the questions we don’t ask are - on average, are kids going to be better off with this system? Is society as a whole going to be better?

I’m skeptical. I think virtually everything we value is misplaced and should be reassessed. I realize that won’t happen, but think future civilizations which exist after this one collapses will be baffled by the stuff we believed.

I’m past the point of shaking a fist at the clouds; I’m alternately bemused and horrified at the course of events.

The romance around the good old days is something I find amusing. Since time began coaches have been walking into parents living rooms and offering enticements well beyond education. Also since time began the education has often been a sham.

Now the enticement is just a bigger piece of the pie and more out in the open, and is part of the next evolution of college sports. I want guys who can make us good again - I don't care if they are here one year or 5. Wes Johnson contributed one year here did we enjoy that?

IF we didn't get stale over the end of JB's run and kept to our standard the moaning and groaning about the sport changing would be much less. My biggest problem with the new age - we stink at it, and may not have the time to get better at it.

The romance around the good old days is something I find amusing. Since time began coaches have been walking into parents living rooms and offering enticements well beyond education. Also since time began the education has often been a sham.

Now the enticement is just a bigger piece of the pie and more out in the open, and is part of the next evolution of college sports. I want guys who can make us good again - I don't care if they are here one year or 5. Wes Johnson contributed one year here did we enjoy that?

IF we didn't get stale over the end of JB's run and kept to our standard the moaning and groaning about the sport changing would be much less. My biggest problem with the new age - we stink at it, and may not have the time to get better at it.
so you're saying paying $$$ bucks to college kids and no sit out transfers is a good thing for college sports ? to me it says "semi pro" . crazy me for missing the old days when there was a divide between amateur and pro.

so you're saying paying $$$ bucks to college kids and no sit out transfers is a good thing for college sports ? to me it says "semi pro" . crazy me for missing the old days when there was a divide between amateur and pro.
That is where we disagree - college sport hasn't been amateur in a long time. Payments are just more out in the open and the players are not allowing the coaches, schools and NCAA schmucks take all the money.

That is where we disagree - college sport hasn't been amateur in a long time. Payments are just more out in the open and the players are not allowing the coaches, schools and NCAA schmucks take all the money.
payments were punished when discovered. you remember the SU imbroglios ? and you didn't address transfers.
you feel being able to jump ship anywhere every year makes this a better game ? it's a coaching nightmare.
as a fan i want to know the players and watch them develop. your answer is basically D league $$ ball.

Last edited:
payments were punished when discovered. you remember the SU imbroglios ? and you didn't address transfers.
you feel being able to jump ship anywhere every year makes this a better game ? it's a coaching nightmare.
as a fan i want to know the players and watch them develop. your answer is basically D league $$ ball.
Punishment was arbitrary at best and never addressed real cheating. See the SU "imbroglios" which are cited here every day as being unfair and small change. As for the yearly transfer - the coaching changes every year were probably a nightmare for some players. We don't like it because we stink, if we were thriving nobody would care.

The romance around the good old days is something I find amusing.

As a clarification, my position is the good old days were terrible - and today is worse. I’m not going to wax poetic about anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom