Pitt - Clemson (What an Ending) | Syracusefan.com

Pitt - Clemson (What an Ending)

jncuse

I brought the Cocaine to the White House
Clock and Lights seem to be off by about 0.1 second. Shot is off on time vs the score baord, but not vs time around clock.

Clemson up 2, inbounding the ball with 2 seconds left, and they turn it over!!

Pitt picks up the ball of the ground, for some reason Newkirk takes a pump fake and hits the jumper. It makes it very close.

It's painfully clear that the time on the scoreboard, and the time above the hoop are slightly different.

How can you not calibrate your clocks.

We've heard for years that the red light, not the clock, signals the end of the game.

That's different now?

Also, these broadcasters are clueless. Times like this, I miss the Big East.

Shot is good. Indisputable evidence refs say... basically "We can't make a FN call because your clocks are incorrect"

We've heard for years that the red light, not the clock, signals the end of the game.

That's different now?

Also, these broadcasters are clueless. Times like this, I miss the Big East.

I love how the play by play goes off on Patterson, when he drives to the hoop down 4 with 40 seconds left in the game..

"Why are you going so quick... no need to hurry" he said. Your down 4 with 40 second left, and no need to hurry? Moron,

I love how the play by play goes off on Patterson, when he drives to the hoop down 4 with 40 seconds left in the game..

"Why are you going so quick... no need to hurry" he said. Your down 4 with 40 second left, and no need to hurry? Moron,

That was unbelievable. They agreed on that.

One of them also used the phrase "red as a South Carolina tomato" to describe Dixon earlier in the game.

The more I think about the more I think Clemson was screwed. I'm not sure if it is the light or the clock -- but let's say it is the clocks.

The two clocks "appeared" to be different, but how do we know it was not an ESPN technical error causing the difference. Perhaps ESPN production did not have the clock in sync with the action and the replay.

To me you use the clock that is clearly visible on the replay. You could see the clock above the nets was at 0.0 (as were the red lights) when the shot went off. That is what you should go by,

Instead the refs went by the scoreboard clock that was overlayed on to the screen during the replay. Yes the shot clearly went off before that clock hit 0.0, but why rely on that clock instead of the other one.

Refs made a massive error in judgment. And it may have put Pitt in the tournament.

Last edited:
It's Clemson. If something can go wrong, it will go wrong for Clemson. That's how they've never won the ACC tournament in almost 60 attempts and how they've never won in Chapel Hill. It's who they are in basketball.

its a pretty clear rule.. first the LED around the board of present.. if no led then its the red light.. if no red light its the horn, if no horn its the game glock.. its never the scoreboard clock..

jncuse said:
The more I think about the more I think Clemson was screwed. I'm not sure if it is the light or the clock -- but let's say it is the clocks. The two clocks "appeared" to be different, but how do we know it was not an ESPN technical error causing the difference. Perhaps ESPN production did not have the clock in sync with the action and the replay. To me you use the clock that is clearly visible on the replay. You could see the clock above the nets was at 0.0 (as were the red lights) when the shot went off. That is what you should go by, Instead the refs went by the scoreboard clock that was overlayed on to the screen during the replay. Yes the shot clearly went off before that clock hit 0.0, but why rely on that clock instead of the other one. Refs made a massive error in judgment. And it may have put Pitt in the tournament.

Maybe I'm wring but I always thought it wasn't any of the clocks but went by the red light. It's why they added the red light. If it didn't mean anything, it's not needed. The clocks are only for reference for those on the court.

It's Clemson. If something can go wrong, it will go wrong for Clemson. That's how they've never won the ACC tournament in almost 60 attempts and how they've never won in Chapel Hill. It's who they are in basketball.

Just like the Oliver Purnell years. They could have been undefeated in the regular season and would almost certainly lose their first round game.

Maybe I'm wring but I always thought it wasn't any of the clocks but went by the red light. It's why they added the red light. If it didn't mean anything, it's not needed. The clocks are only for reference for those on the court.

You are correct, Bees. Devendorf's three was ruled no good based on the red light.

The more I think about the more I think Clemson was screwed. I'm not sure if it is the light or the clock -- but let's say it is the clocks.

The two clocks "appeared" to be different, but how do we know it was not an ESPN technical error causing the difference. Perhaps ESPN production did not have the clock in sync with the action and the replay.

To me you use the clock that is clearly visible on the replay. You could see the clock above the nets was at 0.0 (as were the red lights) when the shot went off. That is what you should go by,

Instead the refs went by the scoreboard clock that was overlayed on to the screen during the replay. Yes the shot clearly went off before that clock hit 0.0, but why rely on that clock instead of the other one.

Refs made a massive error in judgment. And it may have put Pitt in the tournament.

I believe this is correct. They are supposed to use the clock above the baskets. When they slowed it down, it really appeared that as soon as it went to 0.0 the red light started to come on. Why they got all hung up on the 0.1 on the superimposed clock is beyond me as that can be subject to all kinds of technical delays.

Using the clock and light, it was really close but I thought it was no good. But I can't muster much outrage over the game for 5th place.

One of them also used the phrase "red as a South Carolina tomato" to describe Dixon earlier in the game.

Based upon the way he behaves during games, I'm starting to believe that jamie dixon is mentally ill.

Good point - why have the light otherwise. . I always thought it was the light as well... but maybe the red light is used because the clocks are not always going to be visible. Hence the need for them.

Either way we have

1) The Red Light / The Clock above the Backboard

vs

2) A superimposed different clock on a replay, that is possibly wrong due to technical error.

The refs went with 2.

this is true.. and in the NCAA if the board has the LED lighting the ref light is supposed to be disconnected. when you watch a game live you can see how off the whole system is. often the horn sounds before the clocks go on by 2-3 tenths.

I think the refs allowed it because it was close and the game was headed to overtime. I feel for Clemson but that was a massive choke job.

The only time I have seen the red light overruled was when the clock was started early off an inbounds play.

The shot went in clearly after the light, but the refs had to analyze how long the actual play took and made a decision based on that... I believe it was Butler-Xavier a few years ago.

The red light makes sense to me. When the clock goes below one minute it counts down the seconds instead of going to zero. Similarly, when the clock counts down the last 0.1, there is some increment of time between 0.0 and 0.1. In everyday life, this increment seems infinitesimal. However, when officials are looking for a millimeter of space between a player's hand and the ball it can make all the difference in the world. I am not sure what the rule is but I would guess the red light is the measuring stick.

PS. I was at the six overtime game and was convinced that the horn and red light went on AFTER the ball had left Devo's hand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom