Pitt Postgame Thoughts | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Pitt Postgame Thoughts

Our bench is the blue collar squad. They dive on the floor (something I haven't seen in some years), getting into spaces, poking the ball out, getting physical, doing the dirty work. I don't know if I could love that anymore than I do. Can you imagine this team with a healthy Westry?

The thing with Taylor is that he’s not bad at anything but not great at anything. I’m just not sure he’s ever going to be a difference maker in big boy games.

For Taylor to be effective in the game our guards have to be rolling and being difference makers. In games like today when Mintz is struggling then Taylor hurts us. I think Taylor has a role on this team and is a great piece to a winning team as he rarely is going to make big mistakes that will hurt us. If the offense isnt being carried by others then Taylor isn't a good choice.

I feel Bell would be better suited as a scorer off the bench.

Huge win!
-Benny was excellent. 15 and 7 is what we all were hoping for before the season from him. He finally rebounded and maybe the effort from him on the boards will become consistent. We can hope.
-Quadir was excellent. A couple of loose turnovers but we don’t win without him.
-Brown as usual played his arse off. Could have done without the three but his defense was superb.
-don’t want JJ’s effort to be lost in this one. That three-pointer was huge and he took care of the ball and had some big shots going to the basket.
-Judah may have had his worst game of the season. Most of that was on the defensive end when he kept making poor gambles which led to two on ones in the half court and easy baskets for Pitt. Once again, he left himself no room for error foul wise by committing stupid fouls 40 feet away from the goal. His three was a huge part of our comeback.
-our team defense was excellent for the most part. We would not have won that game last year by sitting back in the zone. I love the energy that this team is showing.
-Red may have made a couple of mistakes late, most notably not setting up inbound plays with a timeout and inexplicably putting in Cuffe in instead of Taylor. Also thought he went with Bell for too long. But other than that he coached a great game and was smart enough to ride the hot hands late. Most importantly, I just feel like there is a different vibe with this team. They are playing hard all the time and seem to be playing well together.
-so good to see us play well against a quality opponent and come out with a deserved win against a team I hate who has had our number. The last minute was unnecessarily stressful but who cares. Let’s enjoy this one. Happy new year to you guys.
Judah gambles way too often 40 ft away from the basket. Red needs to get him to play sound D by moving his feet more often. You dont want to take away his aggressiveness but it’s just resulting in fouls and numbers the other way.

Great win. Gotta beat mediocre teams like Pitt, especially at home.

When this team plays to their strengths — ball hawking D, driving and interior passing on O — they can compete.

Happy to see Red ride the hot lineup for the second half. Glad we have the bench depth to do that. Big difference from recent years.

Judah gambles way too often 40 ft away from the basket. Red needs to get him to play sound D by moving his feet more often. You dont want to take away his aggressiveness but it’s just resulting in fouls and numbers the other way.
Red HAS to get him to back up. just tell him if he tried that crap in the NBA, those level of guards would get repeated layups.

To all ya lousy bums who post in a super terrific happy context (end sarcasm) within the game day threads:
82128e078080190e5c8ed9b3e7a34fb1.gif

Seriously, Happy Holidays!

Great win. Gotta beat mediocre teams like Pitt, especially at home.

When this team plays to their strengths — ball hawking D, driving and interior passing on O — they can compete.

Happy to see Red ride the hot lineup for the second half. Glad we have the bench depth to do that. Big difference from recent years.
mediocre teams like Pitt ?? ..I'd say they are pretty talented

They have somewhat opposite problems.

Taylor can't get shots. Some of it's self inflicted. But now that we're in the ACC, he's just not going to get looks. Things big down when the ball hits his hands.

Bell can get shots but is streaky and his game isn't well rounded. Big liability on the boards. Actually defends alright and contests at the rim somewhat but isn't a ballhawk like Copeland.

There's a different world where Benny doesn't get in trouble early in the year and Bell and Taylor aren't both starting at the beginning of the season.

That universe probably has a Syracuse team that's a little ahead of our current squad.
Agree with all this.

I don’t think Taylor’s going to be able to really contribute this year. He just gots bottled up defensively against decent to good teams.

I think people are maybe a little too down on bell right now, who at times this year looked like the second best player on the team and, as you point out, has an obvious role to play on this team. I think he’ll find it. The team does need what bell can give - a guy who can hit open threes and also create good looks from the perimeter.

Agree with all this.

I don’t think Taylor’s going to be able to really contribute this year. He just gots bottled up defensively against decent to good teams.

I think people are maybe a little too down on bell right now, who at times this year looked like the second best player on the team and, as you point out, has an obvious role to play on this team. I think he’ll find it. The team does need what bell can give - a guy who can hit open threes and also create good looks from the perimeter.
First shoym and now you, wow.

Either or both of those guys are key to having an actual half court offense

For this team to be really good, all nine have to contribute over the season

GREAT effort by the Orange!!
I didn't know Q could shoot FTs like that.
PITT is physical/they're good. But CUSE "stoned" them in the 2nd half.
Can we get that effort on the road?
Autry has the team finding itself...learning their roles.
If Mintz can put up and shut up, we will be a tough out come March.

Judah needs to be told that he is nowhere near as good as Copeland and Brown are at slapping the ball away and he can get more steals being less aggressive. He clearly wants the stats those two rack up. Hes fouling and/or getting blown by at bad times.

That said hes still a good defender overall and is a big part of us being able to drive teams nuts with the press hes just not Cope or Brown who are next level amazing at it.

For Taylor to be effective in the game our guards have to be rolling and being difference makers. In games like today when Mintz is struggling then Taylor hurts us. I think Taylor has a role on this team and is a great piece to a winning team as he rarely is going to make big mistakes that will hurt us. If the offense isnt being carried by others then Taylor isn't a good choice.

I feel Bell would be better suited as a scorer off the bench.
I think they'd be done a favor not always playing together. I guess you want Taylors D and rebounding to offset Bells lack of both but both might click more with Cope or Benny. Or in JJ's spot for a few if we decide to not play him 40/per like Mintz gets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom