Player comparison by teams is telling | Syracusefan.com

Player comparison by teams is telling

kcsu

Living Legend
I dont bet much on sports but when i look at a game i compare opposing players by position and provide a point to each team based on who i feel the better player is. I do the same with the HC OC and DC.
QB are worth 3 pts. HC 3 OC 2 DC 2 and any "difference" Maker 2 or 3 depending on my personal opinion. As example Freeney would always get 2 points but 3 if we played a pass first team. Home teams always got an extra 2 points. The bottom line is that this almost always can predict the winning team. Not the spread but the winner.
When you look at Louisville SF and ND the point spreads by position are overwhelming.
Our best and most dominant player is Dungey and i only had him better by position against Colgate and UCONN. I had him as a tie with SF. I think that in the LV game i didn't have one SU player on D rated better than a tie. Actually i had Slayton and i think franklin as ties. Every other position went to Louisville. Against the big three this year in total both sides of the ball we have had only 3 total players picked as winners.
Cole Murphy in all three contest which was a bad call last week. Ata in the SF and ND game and Slayton vs SF and ND. Dungey tied against SF lost against LV and ND. Other than Slayton and Franklin we have not even had another tie against LV SF or ND. The O side we had a tie or two up front but other than Dungey and Ata no other ties and no other wins.
I had LV as a staff over our staff in each coaching position. I had us tied with SF at HC tied at OC lost DC. I had us Tied at ND at HC lost at OC and Tied at DC even though they had made a change.
The bottom line is that the talent gap between SU and the elite teams we play this year is enormous. It isnt even close. With the possible exception of Ata and Slayton i dont believe that any of our starters would replace a single LV SF or ND starter. If you go to the 2 deep it is worse.
The good news is that our scheme will and has made a huge difference. It helps close the talent gap.
Still we have a long ways to go talent wise before we can consistently hang with the elite teams on our schedule.

I dont bet much on sports but when i look at a game i compare opposing players by position and provide a point to each team based on who i feel the better player is. I do the same with the HC OC and DC.
QB are worth 3 pts. HC 3 OC 2 DC 2 and any "difference" Maker 2 or 3 depending on my personal opinion. As example Freeney would always get 2 points but 3 if we played a pass first team. Home teams always got an extra 2 points. The bottom line is that this almost always can predict the winning team. Not the spread but the winner.
When you look at Louisville SF and ND the point spreads by position are overwhelming.
Our best and most dominant player is Dungey and i only had him better by position against Colgate and UCONN. I had him as a tie with SF. I think that in the LV game i didn't have one SU player on D rated better than a tie. Actually i had Slayton and i think franklin as ties. Every other position went to Louisville. Against the big three this year in total both sides of the ball we have had only 3 total players picked as winners.
Cole Murphy in all three contest which was a bad call last week. Ata in the SF and ND game and Slayton vs SF and ND. Dungey tied against SF lost against LV and ND. Other than Slayton and Franklin we have not even had another tie against LV SF or ND. The O side we had a tie or two up front but other than Dungey and Ata no other ties and no other wins.
I had LV as a staff over our staff in each coaching position. I had us tied with SF at HC tied at OC lost DC. I had us Tied at ND at HC lost at OC and Tied at DC even though they had made a change.
The bottom line is that the talent gap between SU and the elite teams we play this year is enormous. It isnt even close. With the possible exception of Ata and Slayton i dont believe that any of our starters would replace a single LV SF or ND starter. If you go to the 2 deep it is worse.
The good news is that our scheme will and has made a huge difference. It helps close the talent gap.
Still we have a long ways to go talent wise before we can consistently hang with the elite teams on our schedule.

Kind of goes without saying no? Upsets do happen and Dino will need one or two to build belief with SOME evidence. This type of reasoning is fine year 1 but we will never have BETTER talent than 2 of these teams and would hope to be on par athletically with USF at some point in near future. That talent level combined with O scheme and a D that can at least play slightly below average will be about as good as we can be in the somewhat neat future (2-3 years) The problem with some of the younger guys is that they really lack the measureables and will call it genetics to play at a level we need them to compete, just my 2 cents. Shafer always talked about recruiting football players 1st, well he did that in many ways, I would rather recruit athletes and teach football later. It's like taking a student that works really hard in the classroom to get a 3.6 versus a student who doesn't work very hard at all and gets a 3.3 who has the higher ceiling? While I respect the hard work we all know the answer and this is why we see USF with better talent..

Kind of goes without saying no? Upsets do happen and Dino will need one or two to build belief with SOME evidence. This type of reasoning is fine year 1 but we will never have BETTER talent than 2 of these teams and would hope to be on par athletically with USF at some point in near future. That talent level combined with O scheme and a D that can at least play slightly below average will be about as good as we can be in the somewhat neat future (2-3 years) The problem with some of the younger guys is that they really lack the measureables and will call it genetics to play at a level we need them to compete, just my 2 cents. Shafer always talked about recruiting football players 1st, well he did that in many ways, I would rather recruit athletes and teach football later. It's like taking a student that works really hard in the classroom to get a 3.6 versus a student who doesn't work very hard at all and gets a 3.3 who has the higher ceiling? While I respect the hard work we all know the answer and this is why we see USF with better talent..
Agreed IB. With the exception of gate wake uconn and bc the talent disparity is significant on the defensive side of the ball. Slayton starts for every team. Zaire for 8 or so. After that i actually dont see one other player being a sure fire replacement starter for any of our opponents with the exception of Colgate. Pretty scary.
The O side is much better. Next year as the kids mature we will start to close the gap.

Agreed IB. With the exception of gate wake uconn and bc the talent disparity is significant on the defensive side of the ball. Slayton starts for every team. Zaire for 8 or so. After that i actually dont see one other player being a sure fire replacement starter for any of our opponents with the exception of Colgate. Pretty scary.
The O side is much better. Next year as the kids mature we will start to close the gap.

Finished the Cuse wake comparison. Like our chances. Even on staffs. Big advantage to cuse at qb and wr even at rb. Give us an edge on o and of course wake on d. However our D is much better against the run and wake is weak against the pass. If the weather is ok we can win.

one advantage is that we are used to throwing short and in space, with the wind if its strong thats where most of the throwing will have to be, as long as we can throw enough to keep the 4 wr sets on the field we can be ok.

Great post. Goes without saying we need to recruit better athletes with size, make sure they can qualify, let them redshirt if possible, and develop them.

Gary Patterson was mentioning this today about TCU struggles.. he is having to play 18-19 yr old kids and they are worn out already against the older stronger kids 5 weeks into the season

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom