Realistic current roster going into the portal opening | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Realistic current roster going into the portal opening

I wanna keep Bell. I think he’s one of the best shooters in Cuse history. He’s gotten better, and can continue to get better, at everything else.

the only problem is that he isnt that good of a shooter while moving. he cant come off screens. you cant really scheme to get him shots other than hope his man comes off to help and he stands 2 feet on the ground without moving for 30 seconds.

he also barely jumps when shooting which always bothered me for some reason.

Your post makes the assumption Bell can improve. Not every player improves and gets better over time. Some players are who they are.

And you think we are going to be able to attract a bunch of players in the portal that are starter / high rotation players with certain upside?

We need a point, we need a centre ( or a guy better suited to play 4/5). We probably also need some shooting too. That is a bunch of roles to fill.

Again, I haven't been following all this "bad attitude" posts, but if he is OK in that regard, wants to stay for reasonable NIL, I just don't see the point of being satisfied or good if he leaves.

And you think we are going to be able to attract a bunch of players in the portal that are starter / high rotation players with upside?

We need a point, we need a centre, or a guy better suited to play 4/5. We probably also need some shooting.

Again, I haven't been following all this "bad attitude" posts, but if he is OK in that regard, wants to stay for reasonable NIL, I just don't see the point of being satisfied if he leaves.

Freeman is taking Bell's spot in the starting lineup

Portal PG
JJ
Freeman
Brown
Portal C

Will Bell be happy coming off the bench? Will he take that role? If the answer is yes then fine keep him but if he cant accept that role then move on.

the only problem is that he isnt that good of a shooter while moving. he cant come off screens. you cant really scheme to get him shots other than hope his man comes off to help and he stands 2 feet on the ground without moving for 30 seconds.

We set 1 screen for him the entire first half lol...

Freeman is taking Bell's spot in the starting lineup

Portal PG
JJ
Freeman
Brown
Portal C

Will Bell be happy coming off the bench? Will he take that role? If the answer is yes then fine keep him but if he cant accept that role then move on.
Is that true that Freeman is starting at the 3? I thought he was a 4 at this point in his career. And if that's the lineup, we need a deadeye shooter at the 1, a portal center who can step out and hit a 3, and need Maliq and JJ to shoot 500 3s per day in the offseason.

Is that true that Freeman is starting at the 3? I thought he was a 4 at this point in his career. And if that's the lineup, we need a deadeye shooter at the 1, a portal center who can step out and hit a 3, and need Maliq and JJ to shoot 500 3s per day in the offseason.

That is what I mean I thought when Brown said he was coming back that would mean the end of Bell. I just don't see a starting spot for one of them. I have seen on this board that we are 100% getting a starting center from the portal, Brown is coming back and will be a starter 100%, and Freeman is 100% starting. So that leaves Bell as the odd man out of the starting lineup.

I think it's an assumption reading the tea leaves. They can't run Brown out there at Center again (except in emergencies) and you also can't have him coming off the bench, so he has to start at the 4. Even though Freeman isn't really a wing player, he does have enough skill to play it, I think. Like you said though, that would leave a lot to be desired as far as outside shooting goes from your starting frontcourt.

Bell needs to set back screens for our bigs and force a switch. Bigs can’t guard Bell on the perimeter. Lobs will be there. We also need to set players up guarding Bell on back doors. Bell needs to put on ten pounds which will help his defense and rebounding.

Hang on, we've given shooters passes for much lower shooting percentages when they were the only outside threat on the team, but you're saying that being he only outside shooting threat somehow made it easier for Bell to shoot well?
twisting what I said.
If we had 2-3 reliable 3-point threats (JJ had a couple good games), Bell wouldn't have been shut down in second halves. How else did Louisville come back? Look at the game flow of nearly every game - our win % cratered as Bell couldn't make shots.

Remember, we beat UNC when Bell only had 13 points (three 3's).

I basically said the same exact thing, albeit less eloquently.

This is a young team with tons of potential...we need Bell, and especially Q to stay and grow. Feel bad about JT but the way his year went it makes sense for him to start over. Really classy kid. Don't be surprised if Tony Bennett grabs him(JT is best friends with his son) Just find through the portal a strong tough rebounding center (not McCloud) from a smaller program to offset the ACC big centers and we will be good. Freeman is really talented but not ACC strong yet...needs to gain weight and muscle ...it will take some time. Q is Kadary Richmond who transferred and ended up first team all big east at SH because JB would not let him shoot the ball...I think Q could be one of the best PG's in the country at 6-6 if he plays with a little more control.

This is a young team with tons of potential...we need Bell, and especially Q to stay and grow. Feel bad about JT but the way his year went it makes sense for him to start over. Really classy kid. Don't be surprised if Tony Bennett grabs him(JT is best friends with his son) Just find through the portal a strong tough rebounding center (not McCloud) from a smaller program to offset the ACC big centers and we will be good. Freeman is really talented but not ACC strong yet...needs to gain weight and muscle ...it will take some time. Q is Kadary Richmond who transferred and ended up first team all big east at SH because JB would not let him shoot the ball...I think Q could be one of the best PG's in the country at 6-6 if he plays with a little more control.
its going to hurt a lot to lose some of these players...some will likely thrive elsewhere

but the bottomline is who is on roster instead?

there are a ton of talented players out there

the thing that cant happen is replacing anyone who leaves with worse options

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom