Players skipping bowls | Syracusefan.com

Players skipping bowls

Mixed feelings about this. You play all year risking injury, then you flake in the last game? Then again, have a career ending injury in a practically meaningless game and missing out on a dream and millions gives them all the reason to skip these games.

Really just comes down to the games outside of the CFP to be generally meaningless. I think a move to a 16 team playoff would get rid of this issue nearly entirely. It’s stupid that they haven’t done this.

For over 100 years, CFB had a zero team playoff.

Then for 20 years, there was a 2 team playoff.

Now we have a 4 team playoff.

And you want 16? After the next ice age.

03-rotfl.gif

03-rotfl.gif

I think they need to go to 8. UCF hasn’t lost in two years and they aren’t even in the discussion. Take the one and only lesson college basketball has worth learning and give a Cinderella a shot here and there.

Last edited:
I think they need to go to 8. UCF has’t lost in two years and they aren’t even in the discussion. Take the one and only lesson college basketball has worth learning and give a Cinderella a shot here and there.

The problem is that Cinderella is going to have to go to Bama every single year. It will get old real quick when the Cinderella is getting beat by 50 every year.

The problem is that Cinderella is going to have to go to Bama every single year. It will get old real quick when the Cinderella is getting beat by 50 every year.

You don’t know that. If OU and OSU lose this week UCF probably moves up to #6 and plays a Notre Dame team that is very beatable. I’d tune in to cheer against Notre Lame.

I’m not a fan. NBA players just sit out games for “rest” when they’re not even hurt.

Where does this end? Will superstar players who play some great games early in the season start packing it in in October if they feel the scouts have seen all they need to see?

I don’t know...sitting out games for fear of injury and being an athlete don’t really go together. I’m looking at all these guys sideways if I’m in a front office.

You don’t know that. If OU and OSU lose this week UCF probably moves up to #6 and plays a Notre Dame team that is very beatable. I’d tune in to cheer against Notre Lame.

UCF has to win tomorrow without its QB or they are out of the NY6. Going to be a tough one against Memphis . They would get boatraced against ND without Milton.

I’m not a fan. NBA players just sit out games for “rest” when they’re not even hurt.

Where does this end? Will superstar players who play some great games early in the season start packing it in in October if they feel the scouts have seen all they need to see?

I don’t know...sitting out games for fear of injury and being an athlete don’t really go together. I’m looking at all these guys sideways if I’m in a front office.

Pro football players can make millions. College football players make $0. I have absolutely no problem with a player sitting out to protect his future pro career in that situation. If I was an NFL front office guy, Id be encouraging guys to skip meaningless bowl games - it’s possible some NFL front offices look at it differently, but I’d think most don’t care if a player skips a game they aren’t being paid to play in anyway.

Pro football players can make millions. College football players make $0. I have absolutely no problem with a player sitting out to protect his future pro career in that situation. If I was an NFL front office guy, Id be encouraging guys to skip meaningless bowl games - it’s possible some NFL front offices look at it differently, but I’d think most don’t care if a player skips a game they aren’t being paid to play in anyway.

Yeah, I realize a lots on the line individually. But it’s a team sport.

When the chips are down, you need guys who are all in to win. I’d find it hard to trust guys who bail on games because they’re scared of getting hurt.

It's not so much the injury they fear, as much as it is the potential to lose millions by playing in 1 more meaningless game. I'm guessing Jake Butt wishes he sat out his bowl game before the draft. Went from a first round pick guaranteed to make a life changing amount of money, and instead, to this day, has made $649,000 in the NFL so far. Fournette, and MCcaffrey sat out their bowl game, and signed rookie deals for 4 years 27 mil, and 4 years 17.9 mil respectively.
Those 2 have millions, and are set for life. Their families are set for life. But one thing they don't have that Butt has...school pride and a torn ACL.

When the chips are down, you need guys who are all in to win. I’d find it hard to trust guys who bail on games because they’re scared of getting hurt.[/QUOTE

When the chips are down, you need guys who are all in to win. I’d find it hard to trust guys who bail on games because they’re scared of getting hurt.

I’d prefer guys that don’t take unnecessary risks, like driving sports cars at 150 mph...or playing in meaningless bowl games.

Most coaches would bail on their team for a payday, and they already are well off. Why then, should we not expect a player who has nothing, and may have come from nothing, to bail on his team for a payday?

100% in favor of the kids doing what is best for their careers
Would I love to see everyone play in their bowl games of course I would, but its silly to think the kid owes a school something when they are putting millions of dollars on the line of the Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl (now owing it to teamates is a whole new story...)

I’d prefer guys that don’t take unnecessary risks, like driving sports cars at 150 mph...or playing in meaningless bowl games.

At what point do games become meaningless though? If a bowl game is meaningless, aren’t all the regular season games meaningless too once your squad is out of the playoff picture?

03-rotfl.gif
The younger generations aren’t the wait your turn types. So, honestly, we will likely see a 16 team playoff within the next 20 years. If not, then college football will likely no longer exist.

It ends with Leveon Bell. Leaving his team hanging for an entire season for his own financial gain.
I get why the kids do it. But what i dont get is why NFL teams down at least somewhat downgrade them because of it.