Please consider helping my Father | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Please consider helping my Father

I'm laying in bed, talking my wife's ear off... Trying to explain to her why this message board means so much to me. This is the first place I go in the morning (while I'm brushing my teeth) and all I do at work (no clue why they pay me). I've met so many awesome people here, jeremycuse let me In his house once (wife isn't allowed there anymore, she spills wine) I've been invited to tailgates, the lax one a few years ago was my first. I'm thousands of miles away, and still have been able to score tickets for my dad, and some of you have met him. When we all came to the BC game, it was just so awesome how welcoming everyone was... I think it started to hit my wife that, we are a family here... Freaking cusefaninVT is coming to Alaska in July. I have a crazy 2 days planned out for us. (If he doesn't make it home, mods, please delete this post) the Indiana game, Joyce, you made something possible that I never thought would happen. Then Meeting everyone in NYC, what a great time. (Still mad that I didn't meet UEO)

Idk guys.

I might be a little buzzed, and have been real emotional the last few days with all this., but thanks guys. Everyone. It means so much.
One day, I'm going to find a way to make it up to each and everyone of you.

Dan, get healthy buddy. Thinking about ya

We tried to get through this without asking for assistance.. It's just looking like it isn't possible. I know I've gotten a lot from this board, and I appreciate it so much, but I need to ask for one more favor.

My dad lost just about everything he had in this flood. Vehicles, tools, motorcycles, furniture, woodstove, hundreds of gallons of paint, ect. My mother lost almost every picture she had, clothes, blankets, everything she had saved up from our childhoods, and their marriage.

It kills me that I'm to far away to help him out with this.

If you could please consider donating even the smallest amount, it would mean the world to us.

Some of you have met my dad at football games, and you will meet him again at the Nova game. He is a huge SU fan.

Thanks for all the kind words.

http://www.gofundme.com/992gus

We take care of our own here. Help is on the way...

Same, gave what I could a couple of days ago. I hope he's doing ok and keeps his spirits up.

Hey guys, I had a crazy busy day yesterday at work, but it was awesome getting on today and seeing all the notifications and PMs. My town had a meeting last night, and my dad is going to call me this morning to fill me in.

Clean up continued through the weekend, he found his American flag, and got her hung back up. I'll keep you guys posted about the meeting.

Thanks again for everything.

Spoke to my dad last night. Still has people coming over every day and helping him get this mess cleaned up. They are close to reaching the electrical box, which will prolly need to be replaced. He should be able to get to his air compressor today, which was flipped upside down, and thrown against a wall. If you know how much those things weigh, holy cow.

I go down my facebook page, and its nothing but thank yous, from local business, other families effected, fire crews... All thanking the insane amount of people who have helped my little town out. The volunteers, the people who have donated. I've seen these things before on the news, but seeing it happen in my home town is pretty special. Every once in a while you gain a little faith in humanity.

They had a meeting Monday night for everyone in town. A lot of information about how they really dont have alot of information yet. They want everyone to send in their damage estimates. If the total reaches 26 mil, then they can get funding from the state, or feds, I dont remember which one. My old man says he thinks the number will exceed that.

Just got a msg from my grammy. My dad left her house at 6am, and there were already volunteers there ready to rock...

And its raining again. ughh

Spoke to my dad last night. Still has people coming over every day and helping him get this mess cleaned up. They are close to reaching the electrical box, which will prolly need to be replaced. He should be able to get to his air compressor today, which was flipped upside down, and thrown against a wall. If you know how much those things weigh, holy cow.

I go down my facebook page, and its nothing but thank yous, from local business, other families effected, fire crews... All thanking the insane amount of people who have helped my little town out. The volunteers, the people who have donated. I've seen these things before on the news, but seeing it happen in my home town is pretty special. Every once in a while you gain a little faith in humanity.

They had a meeting Monday night for everyone in town. A lot of information about how they really dont have alot of information yet. They want everyone to send in their damage estimates. If the total reaches 26 mil, then they can get funding from the state, or feds, I dont remember which one. My old man says he thinks the number will exceed that.

Just got a msg from my grammy. My dad left her house at 6am, and there were already volunteers there ready to rock...

And its raining again. ughh

Adam -

Haven't seen this yet but has Penn Yan been declared a federal disaster area? If so encourage your dad to take advantage of every opportunity whether it seems applicable or not. FEMA set up sessions for us in the Southern Tier and was very helpful. Grants not only for property and some equipment / appliances lost but also for cleaning effort based on sq. st. affected. There were also programs through the SBA that for some reason could be extended to residences and homeowners.

You've already seen a silver lining here. The way people come together to support those in need is inspiring. Home Depot here was flooded out and shut down for months but they kept all of their employees on the payroll and sent them out into the community to offer help literally door-to-door. Complete strangers drove through the neighborhoods offering cleaning supplies, bottled water and home prepared meals to those going through cleanup. Personally we were evacuated and stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn on Carrier Circle for 11 days. I stayed on an attractive corporate rate but the manager intervened and lowered my rate to $35 a day saying that was the best he had the authority to offer but that he would reach out to corporate if I would like him to. We had to board our Lhasa and had trouble finding some place to take her since she had never been boarded and didn't have paperwork confirming she had all of her shots. We met a wonderful woman at Lafayette Kennels who not only took her in but refused payment and apologized that she couldn't shut down and come down to help us with clean up once we were allowed back in the house. And of course, the weekend we were evacuated we attended the Fine Mess Tailgate at the Rhode Island football game to really lift our spirits.

Stay strong and Be Positive!

Last edited:
Adam -

Haven't seen this yet but has Penn Yan been declared a federal disaster area? If so encourage your dad to take advantage of every opportunity whether it seems applicalbe or not. FEMA set up sessions for us in the Southern Tier and was very helpful. Grants not only for property and some equipment / appliances lost but also for cleaning effort based on sq. st. affected. There were also programs through the SBA that for some reason could be extended to residences and homeowners.

You've already seen a silver lining here. The way people come together to support those in need is inspiring. Home Depot here was flooded out and shut down for months but they kept all of their employees on the payroll and sent them out into the community to offer help literally door-to-door. Complete strangers drove through the neighborhoods offering cleaning supplies, bottled water and home prepared meals to those going through cleanup. Personally we were evacuated and stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn on Carrier Circle for 11 days. I stayed on an attractive corporate rate but the manager intervened and lowered my rate to $35 a day saying that was the best he had the authority to offer but that he would reach out to corporate if I would like him to. We had to board our Lhasa and had trouble finding some place to take her since she had never been boarded and didn't have paperwork confirming she had all of her shots. We met a wonderful woman at Lafayette Kennels who not only took her in but refused payment and apologized that she couldn't shut down and come down to help us with clean up once we were allowed back in the house. And of course, the weekend we were evacuated we attended the Fine Mess Tailgate at the Rhode Island football game to really lift our spirits.

Stay strong and Be Positive!

Hey, thanks! Both my dad and I are working with the people who run the recovery2014 thing. They are working with the mayor, and are still trying to figure out what is going to happen. I don't think it's federal disaster area. Last I heard, FEMA was not there. I think that 26 million number that they gave at the meeting, was the dollar amount they had to reach to get help from the feds. I havent listened to the audio from the meeting yet, but hope to do that tonight.

10003958_10152853506578452_2624601810615439583_n.jpg

My dad found this picture during clean up. My first race car. I think I was 12. Dont mind the colors, my birthday is the end of may, and the racing season had already started. I would have missed another week if I had gotten it painted.

I'm not going to post the "after flood" picture, because it got pretty beat up. Man I miss that car!

I'm laying in bed, talking my wife's ear off... Trying to explain to her why this message board means so much to me. This is the first place I go in the morning (while I'm brushing my teeth) and all I do at work (no clue why they pay me). I've met so many awesome people here, jeremycuse let me In his house once (wife isn't allowed there anymore, she spills wine) I've been invited to tailgates, the lax one a few years ago was my first. I'm thousands of miles away, and still have been able to score tickets for my dad, and some of you have met him. When we all came to the BC game, it was just so awesome how welcoming everyone was... I think it started to hit my wife that, we are a family here... Freaking cusefaninVT is coming to Alaska in July. I have a crazy 2 days planned out for us. (If he doesn't make it home, mods, please delete this post) the Indiana game, Joyce, you made something possible that I never thought would happen. Then Meeting everyone in NYC, what a great time. (Still mad that I didn't meet UEO)

Idk guys.

I might be a little buzzed, and have been real emotional the last few days with all this., but thanks guys. Everyone. It means so much.
One day, I'm going to find a way to make it up to each and everyone of you.

Dan, get healthy buddy. Thinking about ya

Hope things are going well for you dad in the clean up. More help is on the way as Tomcat noted and we all are rootign for your dad and the area to have a full recovery!.

PS - your wife is still invited over next time, we got new furniture!

Hope things are going well for you dad in the clean up. More help is on the way as Tomcat noted and we all are rootign for your dad and the area to have a full recovery!.

PS - your wife is still invited over next time, we got new furniture!

Thanks man, things are going as well as they could, I think. Old man is still in good spirits, and is amazed by the support, both in PY, and from people he doesnt know.

You guys have all been amazing to me, and I'm going to find a way to make it up to everyone.

I'll let the wife know that she has the invite, lol. Sadly she isnt making the trip back with me for the Nova game. Wanted to save up time off for the winter.

Adam,
Is there a way to donate by using paypal?

jvbj01. Not on the Gofundme site, and the old man just figured out a smart phone, so he for sure doesnt have a paypal.

I have one, for the adopt a platoon deal, but am still unsure how to get money out of there. I could take any donations via paypal, and just write him a check for the amount tho. My grandmother has one of my check books, so he would have access to it immediately.

Thanks again for everything guys. Just getting logged in and set up at work, will call my dad in about a half hour to check in. I sent his volunteers a few pizzas yesterday for lunch, they got a kick out of that. There are free food trucks going around, that I didnt know about until after, but knowing my town, we would take some Cam's pizza over anything!

Update-

FEMA has offered $10,000 grants for home owners and $25,000 grants for businesses!

Applications were available today at the Fire House. Compared to what I had to go through for grants here at work, the application looked super easy, and I was shocked to hear that my dad had his filled out already. Thought he'd ask me to do it.

Clean up is still going, progress people!

Aaaaaaaaaand its Friday!

You might want to look into this Cuse Troop

Buffett’s sister helps others in unique philanthropy

By Josh Funk

Associated Press

Omaha, Neb. — When Warren Buffett announced in 2006 that he would give away his billions, he was flooded with individual requests for help that still flow in today.

Instead of tossing the letters aside, Buffett packages them up and sends them to his big sister Doris. With the help of seven women, her Sunshine Lady Foundation scrutinizes each request to find people who have come upon bad luck through no fault of their own.

It’s rare for philanthropists to respond to individual requests, said Northeastern University professor Rebecca Riccio, who teaches philanthropy and interviewed the siblings last year. Buffett, 83, and his 86-year-old sister worked out the unusual arrangement because neither wanted to disregard the requests, but Buffett also wanted to focus on running Berkshire Hathaway.Warren Buffett sent his sister $5 million initially to cover the cost of responding to his letters and promised more money if she needed it. The siblings didn’t want to say exactly how much Doris has given so far.

Many of the requests are simple: A man who needed a new glass eye. The grandmother who wanted a tombstone for the three children she lost.

“These are decent people who just didn’t have the breaks somebody else did,” Doris Buffett said.

Doris Buffett started the Sunshine Lady Foundation in 1996 after inheriting money. Riccio says Doris Buffett’s personal connections to recipients and her willingness to provide so many small gifts sets her apart.

“She cares about people, not about the prestige or the perception of her as a philanthropist,” Riccio said.

Image_2.jpg

Doris Buffett, right, and her brother, billionaire Warren Buffett, are shown in a 2009 photo. (AP Photo / The Sunshine Lady Foundation)

You might want to look into this Cuse Troop

Buffett’s sister helps others in unique philanthropy

By Josh Funk

Associated Press

Omaha, Neb. — When Warren Buffett announced in 2006 that he would give away his billions, he was flooded with individual requests for help that still flow in today.

Instead of tossing the letters aside, Buffett packages them up and sends them to his big sister Doris. With the help of seven women, her Sunshine Lady Foundation scrutinizes each request to find people who have come upon bad luck through no fault of their own.

It’s rare for philanthropists to respond to individual requests, said Northeastern University professor Rebecca Riccio, who teaches philanthropy and interviewed the siblings last year. Buffett, 83, and his 86-year-old sister worked out the unusual arrangement because neither wanted to disregard the requests, but Buffett also wanted to focus on running Berkshire Hathaway.Warren Buffett sent his sister $5 million initially to cover the cost of responding to his letters and promised more money if she needed it. The siblings didn’t want to say exactly how much Doris has given so far.

Many of the requests are simple: A man who needed a new glass eye. The grandmother who wanted a tombstone for the three children she lost.

“These are decent people who just didn’t have the breaks somebody else did,” Doris Buffett said.

Doris Buffett started the Sunshine Lady Foundation in 1996 after inheriting money. Riccio says Doris Buffett’s personal connections to recipients and her willingness to provide so many small gifts sets her apart.

“She cares about people, not about the prestige or the perception of her as a philanthropist,” Riccio said.

Image_2.jpg

Doris Buffett, right, and her brother, billionaire Warren Buffett, are shown in a 2009 photo. (AP Photo / The Sunshine Lady Foundation)

Thanks OE!

Just now reading this. Sorry to hear cusetroop. Are they still doing donations? I will give what I can if so.