Poll: Put Your Feelings Down Now For History | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Poll: Put Your Feelings Down Now For History

How Do You Rate The Shafer Hire?

• Total voters
I like it for the flexibility it gives SU to re-evaluate the program after the transition in leadership (i.e. new Chancellor) and conference affiliation. Assuming HCSS signs a 4 yr deal on the low/mid end of the ACC salary spectrum, the new Chancellor/TGD (or perhaps new AD) will have 2-4 years of on field results to judge his quality.

EDIT - I think it's foolish to spend big bucks on a mid-January hire that locks you in for 4 years (regardless of how big a splash it makes) when you have the option of keeping your current effective staff largely intact and limit upheaval.

To be fair, that statement is incorrect (I know it's not your statement). Below are our defensive rankings for the last 4 years under Shafer as well as his 2 prior years as DC at other BCS schools. I show it both for YPG and PPG because different people prefer one over the other.

YPG - 47th
PPG - 46th

YPG - 64th
PPG - 73rd

YPG - 7th
PPG - 17th

YPG - 37th
PPG - 81st

2008 (Michigan)
YPG - 67th
PPG - 84th

2007 (Stanford)
YPG - 98th
PPG - 65th

2010 was outstanding. Other than that, the other 5 years are average to below average.

Four-year average at Syracuse, after inheriting one of the worst defenses in school history? 38.8 in the country in YPG. That's top 40, above average. NOT below average or even average over his tenure at Syracuse. And last year was slightly above average (despite what your calculations are, 47th is slightly above) despite having a ton of new starters and youth all over the field.

You throw in Stanford and Michigan to prove your point, yet you don't know the circumstances of his one-year tenures at either school. You can't confirm that he was actually allowed to implement his own system (and we pretty much know he wasn't at Michigan). How do you judge someone based on one year at a program?

You are full of the haterade.

Like it. Timing is extremely tough at this moment. If for some reason it doesn't work out you make a change and go from there. Just need to see what coaches are staying in place and which may depart. Make some asst coaching hires as needed and roll on. Hoping Adkins stays as key piece to recruiting. Any good coaches out there to bring on board to keep that northeastern recruiting pipeline?

Four-year average at Syracuse, after inheriting one of the worst defenses in school history? 38.8 in the country in YPG. That's top 40, above average. NOT below average or even average over his tenure at Syracuse. And last year was slightly above average (despite what your calculations are, 47th is slightly above) despite having a ton of new starters and youth all over the field.

You throw in Stanford and Michigan to prove your point, yet you don't know the circumstances of his one-year tenures at either school. You can't confirm that he was actually allowed to implement his own system (and we pretty much know he wasn't at Michigan). How do you judge someone based on one year at a program?

You are full of the haterade.

Funny stuff.

First, I guess you can average everything out and let one outlier mask the other years. In my business one year of great performance doesn't make other average or below average years OK.

Second, you say look what our defense was. Well, in reverse I could also say that in 2010 we were so good because of 2 great LB's and some real good DL. Plus the putrid offenses seen in the BE that year. It is what it is, but was a great defensive year that got us a bowl.

Third, I very well know the circumstances at Michigan. I know that Shafer, and Grob also, were not the "real" DC's. That was the DB coach (whose name I forget...Hudson?) who is RichRod's best friend and I believe there is some family relation too. It was his call that they ran a 3-5 defense which does not work in the power football of the B10. Shafer's, as well as GRob's, hands were tied. But yea, I don't know anything about the circumstances.

Fourth, I responded because the post I respinded to was factually wrong as well some responses to OPa. The above are facts and while they are fact, does not mean he isn't a good DC. I have said many times in the past I think he is very good, but not great. Maybe great for SU.

Fifth, if I was showing my haterade, I would not have voted in this thread like I did and would have been one of the dislikes or even an abhor.

Your haterade is showing through.

We needed to move quickly. Keep current coaching staff, recruits, and momentum. With Robinson we started from scratch late in the game and that killed us.

The offense and defense have finally moved in the right direction, and we are finally getting players in place with some size and speed. Doug's first hire was Scott, and to me that speaks volume's about his ability. A good manager when picking a second in command, chooses someone they feel can do the job in case something happens to them.

Funny stuff.

First, I guess you can average everything out and let one outlier mask the other years. In my business one year of great performance doesn't make other average or below average years OK.

Second, you say look what our defense was. Well, in reverse I could also say that in 2010 we were so good because of 2 great LB's and some real good DL. Plus the putrid offenses seen in the BE that year. It is what it is, but was a great defensive year that got us a bowl.

Third, I very well know the circumstances at Michigan. I know that Shafer, and Grob also, were not the "real" DC's. That was the DB coach (whose name I forget...Hudson?) who is RichRod's best friend and I believe there is some family relation too. It was his call that they ran a 3-5 defense which does not work in the power football of the B10. Shafer's, as well as GRob's, hands were tied. But yea, I don't know anything about the circumstances.

Fourth, I responded because the post I respinded to was factually wrong as well some responses to OPa. The above are facts and while they are fact, does not mean he isn't a good DC. I have said many times in the past I think he is very good, but not great. Maybe great for SU.

Fifth, if I was showing my haterade, I would not have voted in this thread like I did and would have been one of the dislikes or even an abhor.

Your haterade is showing through.

Who would have been your pick, Bees?

Who would have been your pick, Bees?

No idea. What are the list of candidates? All I said was that I was for a broad search and would prefer a current HC or OC. Keeping Hackett makes this much better.

Love it. Seems all the players/recruits are very happy about it and should keep things going in the right directions w/out a step backwards.

Many big programs that lose coaches to NFL etc. go this route, which shows stability (I.e Oregon was ready to promote OC to HC if Chip Kelly left, Stanford promoted from within when Harbaugh left). Stability is good.

Tell us how you feel.

Personally I love it..for early January. Would "only like it" for early December as we would have an opportunity to get a hot rising head coach... But put me down for "Love It" since it is January!

I love it, as others have said and TGD, it continues the trajectory. How high that can take us is yet to be seen, but I like staying on the same path and hope Hackett can develop into a big time game planner/play caller. Love Shafer's aggressiveness and hope that translates to O as well.
Also seems like players love him, recruits love him.
Rather go with what we know right now than what we don't.

I don't think it's a homerun hire but don't dislike it either. I think long-term remains to be seen if it will take us to the next level. Then again, is 8 wins a year really good for this program with the occasional season outperforming that? I mean, after GROB years, we have to be happy with that.

I LIKE it, would have loved Hackett.. Just think he has more potential.

Though the fact we were able to keep Hack, makes me like it much much more.

Maybe Hackett can take over in 3-4 years when Shafer leaves to coach elsewhere! ;)

Voted w/ the Like button, but I'm much more neutral than that. I feel like they rushed the decision. I'm not sure if TGD did this with one foot out the door or not, but really, I don't think enough thought was put into this hire and thus it was irresponsible to not be prepared. The University could have easily taken a few days and at least interviewed outsiders in the effort to confirm their position, but it wasn't done. Why? Were they afraid they would find someone better? Were they not willing to waste the time to confirm?

I've stated many times here that I think that Shafer will keep us a mediocre team, for better or worse. I define the prospects of remaining mediocre as a fail, but some here are happy with a 7-5 finish year in and out. This wasn't necessarily our chance to hire someone who would take us to 10-2 right away, but it could have been... Cannot know how prepared someone is without at least interviewing a few people..

That all said, I'm actually getting tired of the under 50 recruiting classes. While I know the star system is flawed, I laugh that we are consistently being beaten on the recruiting paths for higher quality recruits. I love that we can identify talent, but to be a true competitor, you need to be able to win a fight or two on the recruiting front. We don't have the salesman we need given the current state of our facilities and thus, I think we need to seriously focus on bringing in a dynamite recruiter position coach at this point.

That said, I hope that I'm wrong. I hope Shafer is the guy to drive us to 9-10 wins on a recurring basis. But I am having serious reservations that this hire was made to help in the short term (recruiting, returning players) as opposed to long term (we may be in the market for a new coach as early as next year at this point).

I think I may have been wrong... This guy gets it! He will be the guy to grind this Orange to the core. Pour me a glass...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom