Portal Needs? | Syracusefan.com

Portal Needs?

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
1. QB, at least a couple, or one that's very well proven, like a grad transfer.
2. 3 or 4 offensive linemen, preferably with starting experience at a P5 school.
3. Need to refresh rush ends on defense; biggest impact missing from this year's d.
4. Refresh WR
5. Refresh secondary

If we are going back to 4-3 we will need DTs and big ones.

Basically we need an upgrade at every position. Not one position do I think we couldn't use a starter at a better backup.

If we are going back to 4-3 we will need DTs and big ones.

Basically we need an upgrade at every position. Not one position do I think we couldn't use a starter at a better backup.

Yeah, I don't see how we're going to do that. That's not sustainable.

There are a lot more WR, DB, RB and LB out there. Big linemen are rare. We tend not to get them unless they're fat, coming off an injury, or from overlooked areas like the Southern Tier of NY.

Now if Addazio is added to staff, we can hope for linemen from NJ and New England, which is a big step up, if we can get the better quality guys out of these areas.

We have to stick with the 3-3-5 defense, though, it's more sustainable. I don't ever see us having a big defensive front line, not with enough depth.

If this guy is the recruiter they say he is, he will start with the skill positions. Just like 6-7 guys in the NBA, there are way more of them out there, and we'll see if he really has an eye for talent, which it sounds like he has.

Last edited:
Has he ever been apart of a 3-3-5? Does he like that style? I would think we will see a more traditional defense

Then look at the 3-4. We need to limit the number of 280+ lb linemen we recruit, because we don't get many.

2. 3 or 4 offensive linemen, preferably with starting experience at a P5 school.
3. Need to refresh rush ends on defense; biggest impact missing from this year's d.
4. Refresh WR
5. Refresh secondary
We need DEs badly.

We need DEs badly.
Which is why if he could recruit Elijah Robinson away from A&M to be his DC, that issue could be solved quickly.

One of the best DL recruiters in the game.

Add in The Dude for the OL and we can address our biggest weaknesses and start working inside out.

Let Beck (or whomever) chase the QB

4. Refresh WR
5. Refresh secondary

Of the 22 starters we probably need to replace 1/3 through the portal. And that is assuming that we do not lose any to the portal.

OL, QB, DE

We return (as of now) every OL except Bleich. But you have to continually try to improve this area.

We need a portal QB. Would love two but two guys aren't transferring to possibly sit the bench. Wilson, Davis, keep Jakari Williams in the fold.

We need a plug and play pass rusher badly.

Hopefully with the Brown hire he can convince Lowery to stay. Don't know if there were any connections in the past between them but I think out of all the guys that announced they were portaling I think Lowery is the one we should want the most to stay.

Lowery just went in the portal this morning, according to syracuse.com.

It looks like our secondary is getting thinner … might need to move it up to DL status

Then look at the 3-4. We need to limit the number of 280+ lb linemen we recruit, because we don't get many.

Sorry to reply to myself, but I wanted to add that the 3-4 and the 3-3-5 are not the same thing.

The Giants under Parcells, at one point, played a 3-4 base defense. Of course, the outside right LB was Lawrence Taylor, so he always posed the rush threat of a 4 man line.

The main difference between the 3-4 and the 3-3-5 is that the 3-3-5 stacks the LBs behind linemen, and move them around to create uncertainty for the offensive linemen as to who to block.

In the 3-3-5, the Rover, this year Barron, was like a safety who followed the keys on a play.

In the 3-4, you are trading the rover safety/LB hybrid player, for essentially 2 inside LBs, and 2 on the ends who have to be able to drop into coverage, while also posing a blitz threat. You have greater width to defend the flats and the wide runs, and you still can play a 2 deep zone with the safeties.

Having 2 ILBs shores up our run defense, and allows the safeties to play a bit deeper.

You only have 3 down linemen, like we have now, reducing the need to recruit extra linemen, who are not growing on trees. It's not as unpredictable, but it's a stable baseline defense that would be a good transition from "gimmick defense" to a bit more traditional defense.

Yeah, I don't see how we're going to do that. That's not sustainable.

There are a lot more WR, DB, RB and LB out there. Big linemen are rare. We tend not to get them unless they're fat, coming off an injury, or from overlooked areas like the Southern Tier of NY.

Now if Addazio is added to staff, we can hope for linemen from NJ and New England, which is a big step up, if we can get the better quality guys out of these areas.

We have to stick with the 3-3-5 defense, though, it's more sustainable. I don't ever see us having a big defensive front line, not with enough depth.

If this guy is the recruiter they say he is, he will start with the skill positions. Just like 6-7 guys in the NBA, there are way more of them out there, and we'll see if he really has an eye for talent, which it sounds like he has.
All the last 3 teams he has been on run base 4-3 but all varies off that. We couldnt get dt because we couldnt recruit period. if every other team could why cant us with the best guy. i get we aint getting 5* dt but a few 4* and a 3 or so will work. If he brings Orgeron, who is a phenomemel dline coach, we could easily pull it off.