Position Battles You're looking Forward To | Syracusefan.com

Position Battles You're looking Forward To

Doc5120

Starter
Obviously the QB battle has been front and center for quite some time now, and justifiably so, but what other position battles is everyone looking forward to? I'm really curious to see who emerges in the secondary. I've really liked Reddish since he set foot on campus, and I just have a hard time seeing him not in the starting lineup over Anderson. I'm no Kiper or McShay when it comes to breaking down players, but from what I've seen, he looks like he could be our top CB. Then on the other side of the ball, who is going to haul in passes from whoever wins the QB battle? I think Kobena breaks out this year and becomes a go-to receiver. His effort against NW last year was impressive. I'm hoping the reason for his lack of production later in the season was the result of his injury. I just think with his speed, he can become a real threat for us. Curious what others think and are tracking as we head towards Aug. 31st.

RT--can Foy get the job done, or is Knapp better suited to stabilize the right side of the line?

DE--can any of these guys generate pass rush? Welsh / Robinson are solid--what will Trejo, Marona, and Thompson bring to the table?

WR--can West emerge as the go to guy? Will anyone emerge from the large group at McDonald's disposal as an impact player?

I'd guess that SU will face a lot of 3 or more receiver sets so playing time shouldn't be an issue for Reddish unless he is passed by Whigham. One thing overlooked is run defense when it comes to corners and Anderson does a nice job against the run.

I thought Kobena looked good this spring and I'd love to have him ready to be a deep threat and a guy that takes a pass up the middle and breaks it for 6.

I'd guess that SU will face a lot of 3 or more receiver sets so playing time shouldn't be an issue for Reddish unless he is passed by Whigham. One thing overlooked is run defense when it comes to corners and Anderson does a nice job against the run.

I thought Kobena looked good this spring and I'd love to have him ready to be a deep threat and a guy that takes a pass up the middle and breaks it for 6.

Agree that Kobena as a deep threat is going to be a key (and a QB who can get it to him).

RT--can Foy get the job done, or is Knapp better suited to stabilize the right side of the line?

DE--can any of these guys generate pass rush? Welsh / Robinson are solid--what will Trejo, Marona, and Thompson bring to the table?

WR--can West emerge as the go to guy? Will anyone emerge from the large group at McDonald's disposal as an impact player?

Of those 3 positions, RT concerns me the most. I can't get the image of Sweet Lou Alexander getting worked out of my head. I really hope whoever starts there is at least serviceable. I'd hate to see Allen/Hunt running for their lives every game.

Agree that Kobena as a deep threat is going to be a key (and a QB who can get it to him).

If Moore can help develop these guys (I think he will) I'll be a very happy Orange fan. You're right about somebody getting the ball to them and that's where a twofold thing happens...arm strength and protection from the o-line. To be honest I thought Nassib struggled going long and hopefully Allen or Hunt will be better at that. I'm hoping that Hunt will have a Graves like throw long but I'm not sure he has the same arm strength as Marv.

To be honest I thought Nassib struggled going long

Dozens of points not on the board last year because of that. Ryan's glaring weakness, IMO.

Who has the better arm for the long pass--Hunt, Allen, or Loeb?

This is #1 and #2 for me. However, I'm not too hopeful. It sounds like they're prepping Knapp for the O-Line 6th Man of the year award, not as a starter.

Dozens of points not on the board last year because of that. Ryan's glaring weakness, IMO.

That's a curious question we'd all like answered! My best guess is that Allen for distance and Loeb and Hunt for touch/timing. If Allen can even up with those two in that category and if he can put some air on those long throws to give the receiver (still need speed to get to the ball and separate) a chance to run under the ball, we will indeed spread the field big time. It almost seems by the talk of the coaches that the short dump passes are already in better hands with either of the 2 if Hunt/Allen are those 2 that many believe are in a head to head battle for qb1.

One thing I'd like to see is which among these guys will stay cool and not force or panic.

This is #1 and #2 for me. However, I'm not too hopeful. It sounds like they're prepping Knapp for the O-Line 6th Man of the year award, not as a starter.

Nice to have a talented guy that can jump right in into multiple positions.

I want to see how the runningback position plays out... Is Jerome going to get 15-20 carries a game? Or is it going to be runningback by committee? Is GMIII going to play his way into the picture?

I've said before I'll take production over potential all day, everyday (but thats just me)... meaning I think it should go Smith, PTG, then GMIII, but definitely looking forward to seeing how it plays out

You never know--Trudo started out as last year's 6th man, and he found his way into the starting lineup as a RF, and has the looks of a four year starter.

If Foy flounders containing pass rush, I wouldn't be surprised to see the coaches make a move with Knapp, who similarly could be a four year starter. I like what I've heard about his mobility, intensity, and nastiness as a blocker.

Inside, we have a ton of depth. A TON of depth, with Palmer, Emerich, Miller, and Lasker all as interior linemen. But we lack depth at OT.

Bottom line: it stinks that we seem to have 4/5 of a settled OL unit. Need to have someone emerge at RT.

Shafer said at a press conference that Allen completed a pass that was nearly 70 yds long. Take it for what its worth. Being at the fan fest Allen seemed more comfortable throwing long than Hunt but it was the first day in full pads.

Two things I've come to expect about a Syracuse pre-season. No respect from Phil Steele and question marks at Right Tackle.

Good point. Last year was Lou and before that was The King of unnecessary roughness/late hit penalties, Michael Hay. Hay caused me to throw more remotes, pillows, etc than I'd care to remember.

Obviously the QB battle has been front and center for quite some time now, and justifiably so, but what other position battles is everyone looking forward to? I'm really curious to see who emerges in the secondary. I've really liked Reddish since he set foot on campus, and I just have a hard time seeing him not in the starting lineup over Anderson. I'm no Kiper or McShay when it comes to breaking down players, but from what I've seen, he looks like he could be our top CB. Then on the other side of the ball, who is going to haul in passes from whoever wins the QB battle? I think Kobena breaks out this year and becomes a go-to receiver. His effort against NW last year was impressive. I'm hoping the reason for his lack of production later in the season was the result of his injury. I just think with his speed, he can become a real threat for us. Curious what others think and are tracking as we head towards Aug. 31st.

Battles where I think we have talent and we'll be ok:
- QB: I'm fine landing with either Allen or Hunt. I think both bring more things to the table than they take off.
- RB: PTG and GM competition, backing up Jerome.

Battles where I'm hopeful, but concerned.
WR: Very worried about this. West should really be coming into his own and it doesn't sound like it's happening to the extent we need. I'm excited about the use of Ashton Broyld getting the ball in space. I'm cautiously optimistic QF can be a spot big play type of WR, but I don't think we'll be able to depend on him consistently.

RT: Need to have a solid OL ready against PSU and NW. If not, we are in trouble.

Battles where I think we are in real trouble barring a surprise:
DE: We need to generate an edge pass rush. If not, we are putting way too much pressure on the back 7 and we play some very good teams this year that will eat us alive if there is no pressure.

Good point. Last year was Lou and before that was The King of unnecessary roughness/late hit penalties, Michael Hay. Hay caused me to throw more remotes, pillows, etc than I'd care to remember.

That's why I'd be somewhat ok with a guy less talented but at least doesn't make mistakes.

Arguably the most important battle may be between Krautman and Norton, along with the punting battle with Dixon and Fisher.

I want to see how the runningback position plays out... Is Jerome going to get 15-20 carries a game? Or is it going to be runningback by committee? Is GMIII going to play his way into the picture?

I've said before I'll take production over potential all day, everyday (but thats just me)... meaning I think it should go Smith, PTG, then GMIII, but definitely looking forward to seeing how it plays out

It might just come down to how many snaps the offense gets along with the flow of the game.

I too liked Reddish but I still believe his biggest contribution for the program would come for the offense or at the very least,special teams as a return man. If Reddish doesn't command his position s a CB then I would recommend a switch to offense.At this point if his defense is top level then he should remain there, no doubt. I would love to see him get an INT and show off his ability with the ball in his hands. I think he impresses even more. OK have at it .:rolleyes:

Arguably the most important battle may be between Krautman and Norton, along with the punting battle with Dixon and Fisher.

Are you crazy?

My biggest concern is the OL. I think schemes can help cover issues in terms of QB pressure from the DE positon (Eskridge and Lynch seem to be solid blitzers), and that we have talent (while unproven) at the WR spot.
If we don't get good OL play, then it can limit what GMC can be creative with in getting the ball to the play-makers in space

I want to see Thompson emerge from camp as a starter at DE, he has the size/athleticism to excel.

I would love to see Arciniega emerge as a viable LB, he is our biggest LB and has DI pedigree.

My biggest concern is the OL. I think schemes can help cover issues in terms of QB pressure from the DE positon (Eskridge and Lynch seem to be solid blitzers), and that we have talent (while unproven) at the WR spot.
If we don't get good OL play, then it can limit what GMC can be creative with in getting the ball to the play-makers in space

Just out of curiosity [given your handle], are you a former player?

Nope. I was at SU during Rebar's era though and had some brief interactions with him through friends of mine. Think he played in some thrash metal band and I always thought he had a good football name.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom