Possible Portal Point Guards | Page 48 | Syracusefan.com

Possible Portal Point Guards

Well, I would agree. Orange United is targeting $2M/$2.5M for men's basketball this coming season, as GM Mark Hayes recently told me. That's on par with most ACC schools. Most, not all.
Targeting is the key word in your statement

Fans seem to think that is what we can toss at new players each season rather than it being the year to year budget. We still have to pay the guys coming back who got paid last season
This also applies to other schools as well unless they want/are forced to be transfer heavy

That’s funny. From what I understand he tried to get big Pete to go to Lemoyne instead. Must be he was upset Gerry didn’t ask him for help.
Come on, Adam wants all the players to go to Binghamton.

This kid is in the portal and liked his game. Not sure how he would do in ACC.

VCU guard Max Shulga entered the NCAA transfer portal. He’ll search for the third school of his college career.

Shulga started his career at Utah State and played for the Aggies for three seasons. He played his fourth year at VCU in 2023-24.

Shulga had career highs this past season with the Rams. He finished with 14 points per game, 4.6 rebounds, 3.6 assists, shot 44.6% from the floor and 41.5% from three-point range.

This kid is in the portal and liked his game. Not sure how he would do in ACC.

VCU guard Max Shulga entered the NCAA transfer portal. He’ll search for the third school of his college career.

Shulga started his career at Utah State and played for the Aggies for three seasons. He played his fourth year at VCU in 2023-24.

Shulga had career highs this past season with the Rams. He finished with 14 points per game, 4.6 rebounds, 3.6 assists, shot 44.6% from the floor and 41.5% from three-point range.
This kid is very good. Sees the game at a high level. Has size. Not an elite athlete, Maybe not a point guard per se but has the vision and passing ability you would want. Might struggle against smaller guards that press.

This kid is very good. Sees the game at a high level. Has size. Not an elite athlete, Maybe not a point guard per se but has the vision and passing ability you would want. Might struggle against smaller guards that press.
For a school that has had Dave Bing, Pearl, Sherm, Sims, Hart, Flynn, Billy, Ennis, MCW this is not comparable.

For a school that has had Dave Bing, Pearl, Sherm, Sims, Hart, Flynn, Billy, Ennis, MCW this is not comparable.
I hate when people have to bring up names from the past, nothing against you but in general. Most of these guys played before he was even born and the rest of them he was young and probably doesn’t even know who they are because they aren’t relevant in today’s basketball. Syracuse fans always bring up the past like an ex girlfriend and mention players most recruits never even heard of. We need to get back to creating the next generation of talent so we’re relevant again in todays NBA and college basketball. Because that ship has sailed a long time ago.

I'm down. Pay Roach what he's asking, give him the keys next year and let's take down Duke and Maliq haha
On what planet are we even in the running for Roach?

On what planet are we even in the running for Roach?

I don't think we are. My hope is that SU being mentioned with some of these high profile transfer guards most recently is strategic. Perhaps some doing due diligence, perhaps some indication that a spot we have offered elsewhere could close up at anytime if other options become available. This is complete speculation on my part, BTW.

Was doing some digging and found this old article on the Hofstra kid…

Going back the last two years his numbers vs good competition are actually pretty strong. His size is the concern but then you look at the guys he’s played with and the numbers they put up on a solid NIT level team in a decent mid major conference not to mention setting up a good number of the buckets Dubar dropped in… if the kid is option B it’s not a bad option B

Last edited:
Was doing some digging and found this old article on the Hofstra kid…

Here’s my issue with Carlos. Why did Hofstra only go 20-13 in the CAA which was good for 3rd place with he, Thomas, and Dubar? I’m not saying he isn’t good, but two guys transferring to power 5’s, another to the NBA, and they can’t even win their conference?

Here’s my issue with Carlos. Why did Hofstra only go 20-13 in the CAA which was good for 3rd place with he, Thomas, and Dubar? I’m not saying he isn’t good, but two guys transferring to power 5’s, another to the NBA, and they can’t even win their conference?
are you insinuating he was the problem? His stats speak for themselves and his tape is good as well, he’s a pass first PG with the ability to create if needed and he killed it on the pick and roll. Perhaps his coach just blows and can’t get the most out of combined talent.

If you're referring to Thomas, I don't think he's really an NBA prospect at all. I haven't seen any buzz for him and he's an undersized wing with below average athleticism. They were second in the conference in KenPom behind only Charleston who've just dominated the last two years and been a trendy Cinderella pick for the tournament. They had a good year. I think there's much better reasons to be skeptical of Carlos as the starting PG. I like his mentality for the position a lot and based on my guess of what Red is looking for in a PG, I think Carlos offers a lot of it. I'm just skeptical that he offers enough scoring/shooting to make up for some of the gaps in our personnel. Also getting a little more nit-picky, he never seems to actually lose his handle of the ball, but there's definitely times where it looks like his ball handling isn't as crisp as you'd expect from an undersized PG that sets teammates up as well as he does.

Last edited:
College of Charleston is a tough out in that conference.

He offered $1M/year for SU NIL. He said he would help Gerry if asked. It would be at a much smaller scale than what he offered SU and only because he is friends with Gerry. He is an SU fan and wants to help SU.
Then he should have given to the collective. Problem solved. The University wouldn't say no. I guarantee you that.