Possible Portal Point Guards | Page 52 | Syracusefan.com

Possible Portal Point Guards

Keeping in mind that I'm an idiot with a noted history of poor decision making, and my sources like my friends are imaginary, I think what's going on is similar to the phenomenon found in corporate America where companies that recruit externally for a position tend to pay higher dollar than they do to retain their own employees. Thus, the incentives are structured in a way that encouraged employees to go on the move - why get a small annual raise when leaving for a new company nets you a 10-15% increase?

Applied to the transfer portal, the "market" for talent is out of whack right now. High school players are locked in, a certain number of guys feel fine with their situation and don't want to leave, but it sure is tempting for everyone else with some level of talent to try and milk out the maximum offer they can get, which is higher than normal right now.

And in corporate America, when the new hire makes more than everybody else on the team, it often doesn't go well, even when they're an exceptional performer, because nobody that's put in the blood, sweat, and tears likes it when some sparkly new person shows up and makes bank without proving anything.

If my reading of the situation is right, Syracuse is like the company that's deciding they aren't going to play that game all the way. Yes, they'll bring talent in from outside, because they need talent and it's a viable channel. But they aren't going to overpay, and coming off the season they just did, they aren't going to risk blowing up chemistry by having new unknowns get NIL better than the guys that have already contributed to something. And that's a rough spot to be in when the NIL market is out of whack.

The one thing I do find funny is that not long sgo there was so much speculation that guys weren't really worth much more than their scholarship and NIL wouldn't equate to much. Well... we're seeing for a lot of guys that's not the case, and they're worth a whole lot more than their scholarship. Sure, the collectives have completely destroyed the ROI structures that would have given NIL some guard rails, but still, here we are.

Nah.
Source?

Source?
Season 2 Thumbs Up GIF by The Good Place

Valid questioning.. But talent doesn't always get the job done. My only issue with Carlos is his size. We've had small guard success here but those guys were special talent. I like Carlos game. He's a true Point guard. I really think he fits this team i'm just a little worried about him defensively. He's got that NYC dawg in him though. Moves a little bit like Jose Alvarado. It's been quiet here so no idea what the current situation is. I think hes waiting on us.
He’s an all conference defender. Even at 6 feet tall he’ll be leagues better than JJ. He’s a perfect option. Gillon made being short work, why can’t this guy

I just hired a new person on my team that makes $100k more than another at the same title. It was completely worth it. Now the other person doesn’t know that and likely won’t find out, but I really don’t care even if they did.
100K more? Jfc I would flip if I found out. That’s breaking the most basic rule of job harmonization and will inevitably lead to attrition or the need to completely reset all your years pay scale.

If they were worth that much more, why wouldn’t you hire them at a higher level and avoid the impending drama

What I meant was the people in the community that are now giving to the football collective that since they are now giving to the football only collective they will not be giving to the basketball collective. Hence HCFB went in the community and took all the potential NIL business and swung them to the football only collective. Not saying HCFB took money from the collective more that he took potential donors and swayed them to football only.

I don't think its a simple as people in the community suddenly woke up and stuck 5 mil into football. Fran clearly has his own thing working.

100K more? Jfc I would flip if I found out. That’s breaking the most basic rule of job harmonization and will inevitably lead to attrition or the need to completely reset all your years pay scale.

If they were worth that much more, why wouldn’t you hire them at a higher level and avoid the impending drama

lol you act like this is new. I’ve done the same more than a couple times - in certain fields now talent differential is worth it. Especially when the opposite is having a semblance of work life balance when you have had to do run yourself ragged for two decades and have to face the same if you don’t bring in top talent.

So how do we get former hoopers who’ve done well to build something like this….?
Good question, I always thought our basketball alums were pretty engaged but maybe just with going to the games.

Good question, I always thought our basketball alums were pretty engaged but maybe just with going to the games.

Our roster of highly successful NBA players isn’t all that deep unfortunately which doesn’t help.

I wonder if Dome events for NIL can become a thing to in order to raise money. We just need those creative juices to merge with desire to see the program soar

Our roster of highly successful NBA players isn’t all that deep unfortunately which doesn’t help.

I wonder if Dome events for NIL can become a thing to in order to raise money. We just need those creative juices to merge with desire to see the program soar

Agreed - we are lucky that we do have a superstar / mega rich guy who is loyal 100%.

Getting Kiyan has the potential to jump start our NIL as well. im sure Melo would do everything in his power to get his son surrounded with the best possible team. Not only does he have his nba fame and earnings but he also seems to be making a name for himself with his business ventures.

LOL. Not remotely how it works.

LOL. Not remotely how it works.
Maybe not at a backwards place that doesn’t care about retention lol Imagine thinking in a society that is normalizing salary discussions that paying someone 100K more than their same level co workers doesn’t end up costing the employer significant money or employees. This reeks of the “Why don’t people want to work” generation.

I think this collective has a lot to do with it for football.

That for NIL portion of it and, as Jake made reference to, reallocating athletic dept funds to football for the in-house support portion. Seems the admin is really going all-in on football, which inevitably causes all other sports to take a hit.

Beyond that there doesn’t seem to be many bball alums who are overly successful outside of their athletic careers like fb does. Who’s the Lally of Cuse basketball?

I just hired a new person on my team that makes $100k more than another at the same title. It was completely worth it. Now the other person doesn’t know that and likely won’t find out, but I really don’t care even if they did.
There was a study done on how much more effective “A” level employees are than others. It’s like 4X or 5X. It proved that you can’t pay too much for top talent.

Incentives the lesser talent to move on